Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2024, 07:57 PM

21 posts, read 17,875 times

Advertisements

I am buying a home in Dallas area. I did my research and the locations where I can afford....

MELISSA ISD - may be the obvious choice but I am worried about the rumors about landfill.
AUBREY ISD / AUBREY(Denton ISD) - the roads are very congested at this time
NORTHWEST ISD - it is far away from people I know, but if it is a good ISD and growth prospects I can move there.

Although I don't really care about the ISD at this point, schools would be important in the future. I know that I cannot depend on the ISD ratings at this time. But growth is important so that it would be enable me to sell and move to a different good ISD when the time comes.

What do I do? Which would be a good growth area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 05:53 AM

772 posts, read 933,076 times
Well, it's not a rumor, there IS a landfill in Melissa, just east of 121. Now, the good news is that most of the time, weather/wind travel in an eastern direction around here, so the smells are carried away from Melissa. But on days with no wind, if you have a decent sense of smell, you can smell it in the nearby subdivisions.

I don't mind, we have some friends who live in the Liberty neighborhood close by, but I don't have a good sense of smell. My wife on the other hand, would NEVER live there, she can smell it all the time.

Aubrey is not a bad choice, but I think you may want to look into McKinney, as there should be homes you can afford somewhere in their ISD and would be a better choice IMO.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:38 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Where are you commuting to for work, or are you working from home?
What is your budget for housing?
Have you even considered looking at existing homes, or are you set on a new build?

Since you are a single person, all of these areas will be extremely boring for you. They are full of families, and activities center around kids' school events, sports, etc.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:42 AM

95 posts, read 69,562 times
The roads are not going to get better in Aubrey for years. New home and strip mall construction is far in excess of the road capacity. If you have to go into the city (frisco, plano, or further) for work or other things it is going to suck. 380 between denton and prosper is a nightmare and even once construction is done for the additional lane will still be bad. Maybe things improve when the outer loop is opened but i don't see that happening either.

But there is a reason that people are flocking to that area and schools, new home cost are those reasons.

have you looked at northwest isd map? that ISD is massive. you're going to have to pinpoint a more precise area. I would prefer that area over Melissa and Aubrey assuming no other considerations that the 3 on your list because of the ability to use 35W, 287 and 377 versus the options in the other two.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:26 AM

21 posts, read 17,875 times
I can start looking into existing homes...but so far I have been researching new communities only.

I will be working from home for the forseable future actually.

Mckinney seems more expensive than the three areas that I mentioned.

@callmebutter - Are schools in Aubrey area of Denton ISD and also Aubrey ISD good? OR is that the speculation for the future? Is that why people are flocking there?

Northwest ISD is massive, yeah, but for the most part, it seems affordable for me. It is the area which is the most affordable of the three actually. At this time, I like Northwest. The communities are better with more amenities.
But if Aubrey is a better growth area, I don't mind going there.

Regarding the Melissa landfill, how far away from the landfill does the smell carry? If I were to look for communities 5 miles from the landfill, would that be enough safe distance?

Last edited by ko92885; 01-12-2024 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-12-2024, 08:52 AM

95 posts, read 69,562 times
I cannot speak for either Aubrey ISD or Denton ISD because I have no first hand experience. I would guess that the upside in Aubrey is better given the future build out growth and tax base whereas Denton is an established city.

Denton ISD is 10 times bigger than aubrey right now. But many people just tend to want new builds and new schools and that is mostly in aubrey and east side of denton ISD like you have said. i'm sure some on this board can speak to either or both of those ISD.s

Old 01-12-2024, 09:27 AM

27 posts, read 25,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmebutter View Post
I cannot speak for either Aubrey ISD or Denton ISD because I have no first hand experience. I would guess that the upside in Aubrey is better given the future build out growth and tax base whereas Denton is an established city.

Denton ISD is 10 times bigger than aubrey right now. But many people just tend to want new builds and new schools and that is mostly in aubrey and east side of denton ISD like you have said. i'm sure some on this board can speak to either or both of those ISD.s

"South Aubrey" (380 / FM1385 corridor) has a higher upside in growth due to more planned residential and commercial developments in the area (e.g. the Fields development is within 10 minutes). That side of Aubrey is served by Denton ISD, which has mostly new schools on that end of the district due to the influx of new residential developments.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:02 AM

210 posts, read 275,583 times
Consider Oakpoint, TX. there in the Little Elm, TX. area. Wildridge development has Pulte Homes in a CLOSEOUT no more new phases for 2 years. Community has rolling hills, lots of trees, very nice Amenity Center it's quiet lots of pluses. Highland Homes has a Model their too. EZ access to Frisco, TX. with a new six lane Oak Grove Pkwy(720) south to Eldorado Pkwy in a few minutes you are in Frisco with all it offers.
Google these (2) builders could be a hidden gem for you,
Good Luck!

Old 01-18-2024, 01:43 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
I'd call all that up there the "Sherman area" frankly.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,082,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Guy View Post
Consider Oakpoint, TX. there in the Little Elm, TX. area. Wildridge development has Pulte Homes in a CLOSEOUT no more new phases for 2 years. Community has rolling hills, lots of trees, very nice Amenity Center it's quiet lots of pluses. Highland Homes has a Model their too. EZ access to Frisco, TX. with a new six lane Oak Grove Pkwy(720) south to Eldorado Pkwy in a few minutes you are in Frisco with all it offers.
Google these (2) builders could be a hidden gem for you,
Good Luck!

OP already ended up buying a house in Northlake. Personally, if I were looking in that Little Elm area, I would think Valencia on the Lake is a better location. The housing leaves a lot to be desired, though, and I question how well it will age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas