Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:18 PM

103 posts, read 314,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I went to Skyline in the late 70's early 80's. At the time it was a great school but I would not say that now. The neighborhood is pretty bad and I would not send my son there. Not sure what ChristieP is saying but I played football for 4years 78-81 and we never lost to North Mesquite (played them twice). I do believe North Mesquite went to state in the late 1980's. Can't comment on the band uniforms because I could careless about the geeks

Hey Grainrasier, Its interesting that Skyline and Sammuel went bad. Just curious about when Pleasant Grove went down?? Was it the late 80's or 70's, just curious, it seem like a nice area back then. Did black, whites and hispancis intergrate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 PM

277 posts, read 577,447 times
I'd look more at areas where your kid would be attending either Wilson, Hillcrest, or WT White. IIRC, I think one of the Oak Cliff high schools got recognized last year...was it Sunset?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:43 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
DH graduated from Samuell in '76. He said the Grove was still a nice place back then.

We were actually discussing the bussing that was going on there then, in light of the PISD stuff, and he said it was horrible for all involved. Resentment on all parts. The bussed in kids went to a couple fewer classes due to the bus ride length, didn't want to be there, the kids from the area were mistrustful of the new people. Add in the racial tension and it wasn't a good scene apparently.

He said there were already a few minority families that were in the neighborhood looking for a better opportunity for their kids and then the bussing happened and they were some of the first to head to the suburbs during "white flight."

So I'd say around 80 was probably the beginning of the end. On their alumni boards there's a definite break at that point.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:58 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Yeah, I know a few folks who were in DISD in the late 70s, early 80s and were completely traumatized by the busing and the racial tension and the fighting - the physical fighting. All of these folks have their own kids in private schools.

One guy I talked to about this had no idea that his family could have just moved to one of the new suburbs at the time - Garland, Richardson, Carrollton-Farmers Branch, Irving, Duncanville - and he would have had a much better high school experience. He thought all schools everywhere were experiencing the same thing.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:01 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
Hey Grainrasier, Its interesting that Skyline and Sammuel went bad. Just curious about when Pleasant Grove went down?? Was it the late 80's or 70's, just curious, it seem like a nice area back then. Did black, whites and hispancis intergrate?

I graduated in 1981 and the immediate area around Skyline was very nice. At the time I went to school there you could attend it by either a M&M transfer or by joining one of the clusters they offered. We had kids from all over the city attending while I was there. North, East, West and South Dallas had students. I think it really started going down hill around 1983. Those apartments they built in front of the school were very nice for about a year. By 1985 the whole I knew as nice was no more.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
It seems like the forced desegregation busing hurt Dallas's public schools and the relationship between the social and racial groups.

In Houston we had voluntary magnet programs - It was a much smoother transition, and as a result there are more upper class areas that support public schools in Houston.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:37 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Dallas had both forced busing as well as voluntary magnets--the magnets in Dallas are every bit as good, if not better, than Debakey or Carnegie in Houston.

Skyline is good by DISD comprehensive high school standards, and the magnet clusters offer a very good education, but by suburban standards the school is bad--there is crime and apathy and the school is low performing.

If you really wanna go with a DISD comprehensive high school, look at the Woodrow, Hillcrest, or WT White areas, probably in that order.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post
I'd look more at areas where your kid would be attending either Wilson, Hillcrest, or WT White. IIRC, I think one of the Oak Cliff high schools got recognized last year...was it Sunset?
It was Sunset, but that was with the new changed standards that made it easier on schools. Under the standards of the previous year they'd have been Acceptable.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 AM

103 posts, read 314,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I graduated in 1981 and the immediate area around Skyline was very nice. At the time I went to school there you could attend it by either a M&M transfer or by joining one of the clusters they offered. We had kids from all over the city attending while I was there. North, East, West and South Dallas had students. I think it really started going down hill around 1983. Those apartments they built in front of the school were very nice for about a year. By 1985 the whole I knew as nice was no more.

Intresting, I know some people who lived in Pleasant Grove, when did it all go down? They said it was like the Texas Brady Bunch back in the day? Now its little Mexico. The apartments are bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas