Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:36 AM

16 posts, read 57,898 times

Advertisements

I would like to know exactly what the summer is like in Grayson county.

How hot does it REALLY get? and during what times of the day?

How does the humidity REALLY feel? I know that the city-data weather information is very general and not always accurate.

Do you always have your A/C on during the day? Or will a box fan usually do?

Is there usually a breeze?

Is there a difference near Lake Texoma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:52 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
It is hot and pretty humid in the summer. Like all of Texas you will want AC all day, everyday.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:31 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
We have a house up there near Lake Texoma. It's HOT. Very HOT. Box fan isn't enough. Our house does not have central AC. It has window units. If we can get by with box fans we do, but it's just not possible in the summer. We had to add a 2nd window unit a couple of years ago. Lake Texoma doesn't help (we are within walking distance) unless you are actually in the water. In August the water is as hot as bath water.

The only big difference between our house in Dallas and our house at Lake Texoma is we don't have mosquitos at the Grayson County house. Dallas house, the mosquitos swarm every day. I was outside 90 seconds one time rinsing out a dog dish and I counted 17 mosquitos bites on my person from that 90 seconds. I never get them at the Lake Texoma house. Not sure why that is.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:16 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,236,659 times
Yes, you'll want a good A/C all day every day.....and all night every night....from about early May til early October. It doesn't really cool off here at night much like it does in areas with lower humidity. There is usully a little breeze during the day, not much after dark, though. Today it's 97 degrees, warmest day we've had so far; 55% humidity (it rained yesterday). People around here spend about half their waking hours mowing the yard....the grass grows fast. We live in a rural area east of the Lake....we have our share of mosquitoes, especially in the evenings.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:30 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,564 times
Well, many of the Texans say Texas weather isn't for wussies, so I guess most of them don't have A/C to use or that type of comment would have never been made. I guess they've become accustomed to not letting the relentless heat bother them, but I know I couldn't live here without A/C even after 30 years of acclimating to the brutal heat and humidity. IMHO, it's impossible to get used to it.

The answers above are very honest and no one is commenting, "It is not that bad." For the truth being told to you, I am pleased.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:08 AM

16 posts, read 57,898 times
Cool *cool*

Thanks for your honesty and helpful info. everyone.
I am glad the mosquitos are not as bad in Grayson also.

I would suppose that the A/C being crancked up all the way is how the electric bill gets so high during the summer.

How much less humid it would be the more west i travel in northern Texas. I wonder if Witchita Falls is very similar to what you described in Grayson County.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,186 times
Quote:
Witchita Falls
It's home to the Hotter than hell 500 bike race.

yes it's hot. probably not as humid.
To get no humidity you have to go out to WEST Texas (midland Odessa) or up near the panhandle region Lubbock

Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM

20 posts, read 75,638 times
Default Like an oven!

Are you kidding? Imagine being in an oven... Ac all day ,all night. And the lake is like warm bathwater. I live here year round. Sometimes it's hard to even breathe outside. The heat is suffocating!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:12 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
We've had a place at Texoma since 1961 and it is hot - had to get some more AC the last time I spent up there in the summer. But there are hills, trees, cliffs etc. which promote some breezes off the lake. We get afternoon shade as we are on the east side of a bluff with a little cove (only two houses on it).

Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM

37 posts, read 129,165 times
Default Grayson County get hot, but....

Not as bad as Houston, for instance. The humidity is nowhere near that of Houston, but it's not like the desert, either.

Yes, it's hot. But you do develop some degree of tolerance, just not enough. When it's 100 degrees, it's just plain hot and you sweat like crazy. Depending on the summer, you may have less than 10 days at 100 degrees or more, or if it's a bad summer, many, many more. It is October before summer lets go of its grip here. Fall is very pleasant, usually until mid-November. We once put our Christmas lights up on the house wearing shorts because it was in the 80's. In February, it's a crapshoot. You can be 70 one day and 30 the next with ice or snow. Luckily, if it does snow, it's usually gone in a day.

Not much rain usually in the summer, once June hits (although it's storming as I write this). Rain doesn't usually return until September.

Lake Texoma does provide some nice breezes and in the Sherman and Denison areas there are some nice rolling hills.

There are much worse places to live. But if you don't like heat, it may take some getting used to.

Good luck!
Nina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas