Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,710 times

Advertisements

My husband will be taking our daughter to the Jonas Brothers concert this Wednesday and meeting my brother and neice ( from Houston) up there. Is this in Fairpark? Wasn't this the Smirnoff Center Once Upon A Time?

Someone said parking will be horrendous and expensive and that there might not be any room but outside the venue's grounds? Is this true?

Does anyone know what time they should leave Mckinney to get there to insure my daughter and neice get to their seats ontime? Their dads are going to be sitting on the lawn while they enjoy sitting in seats.

Should a blanket or lawn chair be brought for the lawn?

So many questions, sorry...

Pretty important. My daughter had never been able to attend prior due to pricing but they made it reasonable through some club and now her DREAM is coming true! Wohoo! I opted to stay with the little guy home and have a great time with him at a pizza place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:19 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
Yes, this is in Fair Park - I hate how a new sponsor chips in and they can change the name of anything and everything....let's just call it StarPlex from here on out...

Anyway, I'm sure parking will be tough and there is lots of construction in the area from the Dart Rail expansion.

The best route for you to take is I-75 south to I-30 east. Exit Munger/Barry/East Grand. At the bottom of the exit (at the light), turn right onto Munger which turns into Barry (at East Grand). You will continue straight on this street although it will change names. First it becomes Crosstown (at Haskell) then it becomes Fitzhugh (at Fair Park) - it is the same continous street that will take you directly to the parking lot at StarPlex where you will have an easy right turn into the parking lots.

The neighborhood will look rough and industrial on this route, but it is the most direct route to take w/ the least amount of traffic and hassle.

And you will see everyone else exiting onto 1st Ave...EVERYONE!! And you will definately be in a traffic jam here.

To get back home, take the reverse. But turn right onto East Grand at Barry. This will take you directly to an entrance ramp for I-30 west which you will take to I-75. There is no entrance ramp at I-30 and Munger/Barry - only an exit.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
Y'know what...now that I've written the above, I remember seeing terrible traffic where I-75 merges into I-30 east when there are concerts at StarPlex.

A better route might be to take the Knox-Henderson exit off I-75. Turn onto Henderson (left at the light). Take Henderson all the way until it ends at Greenville Ave. Fiesta will be on your left and a park will be on your right. At this stop sign, turn right and follow the curve to the left. When the street curves, it becomes Munger. Take Munger all the way toward I-30 (you will cross Live Oak, Gaston, Columbia, Lindsley at lights). Then continue with the above directions after you go under the I-30 overpass.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:03 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
If the parking right by the Starplex/Smirnoff/Superpages fills up, they will overflow to other parking INSIDE the Fair gates. There is NO reason to park in someone's yard across the street! When we were there for a sold-out rock concert last summer, we walked almost a mile to and from our car but we were still inside the gates. (We got there late because we didn't like the opening act!)

No lawn chairs or outside food are allowed, but blankets are fine.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:55 AM

686 posts, read 2,436,634 times
When I go to concerts at Superpages.com Center, I usually park off of Exposition and just walk through Fair Park rather than pay the $15 for parking at the venue. Loads of people do that too. You can usually find a free spot on the street or there is a lot across from the Music Hall which about $8. When I saw Radiohead at the venue in May, it took me well over an hour to get from Lovers Lane to the exit on I30! If you can, cut through Deep Ellum and avoid a lot of the traffic going to the show.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Yes, this is in Fair Park - I hate how a new sponsor chips in and they can change the name of anything and everything....let's just call it StarPlex from here on out...
The other night I heard an ad for concert at "Superpages.com" and asked my husband WHERE THE HECK IS THAT!!!! I'm with you 100%. STOP CHANGING THE NAME OF THE PLACE!!!! Starplex and leave it alone!!! Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign to the City of Dallas.

As everyone else has said, you can park inside the gates. Traffic getting there and then once the concert is over is going to be a PITA!!! It used to be pretty easy to get there and park inside the gates no problem. From 75 & 190 all the way there no problem at all and in less than an hour in most cases. Sometimes we just go thru Garland to 30 and go that way to avoid all of the traffic coming off of 75. Might be easier to do that. The DART construction is going to have it a mess though as will all the parents that have never been there being a little lost. Getting out of there is going to be the BIGGEST PAIN!!!! If they can just hang around afterwards and let the traffic thin out. It won't take that long. Let them get their t-shirt then and all. BUT, if there is a t-shirt that is the ONLY ONE THAT WILL DO get it early or they will be sold out. Otherwise, do that after the concert w/ the masses as well. Then hangout for awhile, go to the bathroom, etc.

Pack a cooler for the car ONLY for after the concert. Go back to the car and they will have a drink and some snacks while watching everyone else bottle-necked trying to figure out how to get out. The girls can then be all giddy and excited AFTER the concert in the parking lot and all. Then by the time they have settled down the traffic should have as well.

No coolers or lawn chairs allowed inside the gates for the concert. Only blankets.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 AM

6 posts, read 17,054 times
Actually I prefer it be called superpages.com as Starplex has a dollar theater in my city that is a piece of junk. Everytime we hear "starplex" we think of junk. Thank god they switched that name. Carry on

Old 07-10-2008, 01:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,710 times
Reporting back! My husband ended up not going due to the hours he has to put in at work. but my sister in law went in his place. They had a marvelous time. Thanks mom for the tip of the snacks in the car afterwards. They told me they chit chatted and gobbled gold fish as they came home. My daughter is sort of bummed today because now she has to wait awhile to see them in concert again. Awhhh to be young again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas