Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:04 PM

436 posts, read 1,615,098 times

Advertisements

we ruled out a pool strictly on a cost basis. our real estate agent told us a pool would be about $100/month to maintain. that ended the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 03:06 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,268,664 times
If you decide to get a pool, make sure that you have a gameroom or play area inside for those days or in winter that they can't use the pool.

Naima

Old 07-18-2008, 03:10 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,601,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needsomeinfo View Post
we ruled out a pool strictly on a cost basis. our real estate agent told us a pool would be about $100/month to maintain. that ended the discussion.
Our neighbor's pool costs us about a 12-pack a month.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:13 PM

434 posts, read 1,483,441 times
if you do a pool make sure you are putting in one yourself or at least know all of the details regarding the technology in the pool.
I know some folks that bought a house b/c of a pool and they didn't know the technology in the hot tub automatically turns the heater on and they can't stop it.
Their bill because of this sky rockets to over $800 bucks a month so they don't even use the thing any more..
what is the point of having something if you can't use it.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:51 AM

869 posts, read 2,956,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Please go into more detail on the 220 schools in DISD.
You like banging your head into walls, don't ya?

You can't convince most people in the 'burbs that there is some quality education to be had in the DISD. Just like they can't seem to remember that the DISD does not encompass the ENTIRE city of Dallas.

It's easier for them to just make sweeping generalizations and lump everything together (of course, these are probably the same people that get their knickers in a twist when we dare to point out the shortcomings of places like Frisco or Plano).

Oh well...

Heck, I just found out this morning that we appear to have some little hoodlums at Sunnyvale Middle School...

Old 07-19-2008, 11:36 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,437,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnetx View Post
No one regrets getting a pool.
See my experience is just the opposite, most people I know who moved to Dallas and bought homes with pools regret it after a few years. My Parents for example. Most people including my family, that I have known say they use it like crazy the first year, quite a bit the second, and gradually less and less. The monthly cost in water, plus occasional repair on the heater and pump are much more money than they feel the usage they get is worth.

My parents are currently looking into having the pool removed so they can have a yard again.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:46 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,482,339 times
I know more who regret the pool in the long-term, also (unless they are just "pool people"). Pools have to have major overhauls after a certain number of years or else they need to be dug out (which is about $8,000). I have 4 neighbors that have had pools removed that were built in the 1970s, another neighbor went for the $25,000 remodel/fix on their pool, another with a newer pool had to replace all the tile after 6 years due to soil shifting. Kids actually lose interest in pools a bit when they are teenagers, too.

I *think* I am more of a pool person, but have never lived in a house with a pool. I LOVE going to public pools and water parks, but can't any longer get my teenage son to go with me anymore. I can count on one hand how many times he has been swimming this summer and every single one of his friends has a pool and I always offer to take him and his friends to a public one. They just don't want to do the pool thing anymore.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:56 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,437,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Kids actually lose interest in pools a bit when they are teenagers, too.
Even if they don
t loose interest in swimming, it becomes more of a social thing. I had a pool as a teenager, most of my friends did too. We still ended up at the public pool where we could hang out, be away from parents and younger siblings etc.

Last edited by Macbeth2003; 07-19-2008 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-19-2008, 05:03 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,260,682 times
I'm about to go for a run this evening. When I get home all hot and sweaty, I'll grab a margarita, strip off my clothes and jump into my nice private pool.

Sunday we'll BBQ on the patio as we lounge by the pool soaking up the rays.

That's what makes it all worthwhile.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:16 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,560,698 times
Considering finding a neighborhood with a community pool...get all the benefits without the responsibility, and still get to keep your yard.....plus its a great place to meet your neighbors. Even where there is no neighborhood pool...there is often a private pool that you can become a member at nearby. I know in Plano, I pay a 69 dollar/ year membership to have access to all Plano recs (which include all pools and workout facilities). There is probably something comparable where you are looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: