Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,587 times

Advertisements

I have Crohn's Disease and have for 14 years and my physician has recently passed away and I am in search of a new one. Does anyone recommend any Gastroenterologist's in the Dallas area. I am gay and prefer one that is gay-friendly. Prefer ones that are affilated with UT Southwestern or Presbyterian (Texas Health) for insurance purposes!

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:46 PM

504 posts, read 800,857 times
What do you consider "gay friendly"? I've never heard such a thing for a physician. To me a doctor is a prosessional and his sexual orientation or friendliness doesn't even matter.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,510 times
Okay in defense of the OP, I can see how it would be important to have a gay friendly GI doc if you have Crohns. I have Ulcerative Colitis and if I were a gay man, my disease would impact (no pun intended) my sex life. I'm a married straight female with Ulcerative Colitis, and in the past I have had anal sex with the huz. Its not something I'm interested in anymore (been there, done that, have the tshirt lol). However, if I was interested in having anal sex, it would be nice to have a doctor that wont go running and screaming out of the room if I brought up the topic.

I don't even live in Dallas so I'm sorry that I can't help you!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Sorry I can't help the OP but he is asking a valid question. Many older physicians/very religious/conservative ones are more than a little uncomfortable dealing with a gay patient. I suggest you contact the local gay support groups/alliances and ask them.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,587 times
Thanks to all of you who have no sensitivity towards anyone. As you can see from my name I am an RN and I hope you all come into my hospital because I would treat you just like everyone else, with the utmost professionalism and caring attitude. I treat everyone like that because that is what I do. Some physicians and care givers just like you and don't treat everyone with dignity, respect and integrity. I am asking because I want to be comfortable with my physician talking about everything, not just about my disease.

For the others who have offered true advice. It is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,992 times
If you are an RN, you have more access to information than myself, or almost anyone on this forum.

I live in Arkansas and the post title Gay Friendly Gastroenterologist in Dallas? caught my attention. I won't be any help. Sorry if I was not sensitive to your wants and needs.

I'm straight and am not comfortable about talking "sensitive issues" with a doctor. Not that I ever thought to talk about "sensitive issues" with a doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnguy View Post
Thanks to all of you who have no sensitivity towards anyone. As you can see from my name I am an RN and I hope you all come into my hospital because I would treat you just like everyone else, with the utmost professionalism and caring attitude. I treat everyone like that because that is what I do. Some physicians and care givers just like you and don't treat everyone with dignity, respect and integrity. I am asking because I want to be comfortable with my physician talking about everything, not just about my disease.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
I dont mean to sound off, but how do you tell if a Gastroenterologist is gay friendly?

In Dallas, most people in general seem to be gay friendly in the professional world anyway.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:25 PM

885 posts, read 1,552,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnguy View Post
I am asking because I want to be comfortable with my physician talking about everything, not just about my disease.

You go to the doctor to get treatment and not to socialize, right? What else do you talk about with your physician other than the disease, and maybe the weather? Do you talk about Lady Ga Ga's new tune or Tiger Wood's current marriage status? I don't know, I am just asking.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:37 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,393 times
Health - Dallas Voice (http://www.dallasvoice.com/classifieds/health/ - broken link)

Old 07-15-2010, 06:11 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
I once went to a OB-Gyn who didn't believe in birth control and wouldn't prescribe any for any of his patients - so, yeah, doctors still have biases - and I hope you find what you are looking for, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: