Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 33,746 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a central location that is a decent communte to UNT in Denton and safe. I've read some of the other threads on Lewisville and it seems Lewisville is nice, but maybe not as nice as some other areas, like Plano. Particularly, people keep saying the schools are iffy, but our only interest in the schools is for resale. I have heard so much good about Plano (safe, family-friendly, convient...), but am researching other towns that would provide a shorter commute to Denton. I like that Lewisville is still a reasonable drive to Plano, and for that matter, Grapevine, depending on what church we end up going to, etc. We can spend about $125K on a house, so I was wondering with our lower budget, could we find a house in a safe, fairly nice area of Lewisville? And would the neighborhood of Lewisville we might end up in for $125K be more safe or less safe compare to the neighborhood we might end up in for $125K in Plano? I believe houses in Lewisville are cheaper than Flower Mound or Coppell; I don't know where Double Oak or Highland Village rank price-wise or safety-wise and if they might be options for us.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 AM

105 posts, read 240,822 times
For $125K Lewisville is a better bet than Plano. Double Oak and Flower Mound are a bit pricier than that. I would start in Lewisville - there are lots of cute homes and it's not unsafe by any means.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:33 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,725 times
Lewisville is safe overall, except for the run down parts. Flower Mound, Grapevine, Coppell, ect.. are much nicer but I don't think you will find much for $125k. Also look at Corinth.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 AM

6,826 posts, read 14,043,433 times
Lewisville is not as new and shiney as Flower Mound and Coppell but there are some very nice neighorhoods in the city. For your price range I would suggest you look at Lewisville and Corinth. I don't think you will find much in Flower Mound & Highland Village for 125k. There are quite a few newer subdivisions in Lewisville.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:04 PM

362 posts, read 1,719,960 times
I know several folks who live in Highland Village and are happy there. Its and easy commute to Denton too.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:12 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,434,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
We are looking for a central location that is a decent communte to UNT in Denton and safe. I've read some of the other threads on Lewisville and it seems Lewisville is nice, but maybe not as nice as some other areas, like Plano. Particularly, people keep saying the schools are iffy, but our only interest in the schools is for resale. I have heard so much good about Plano (safe, family-friendly, convient...), but am researching other towns that would provide a shorter commute to Denton. I like that Lewisville is still a reasonable drive to Plano, and for that matter, Grapevine, depending on what church we end up going to, etc. We can spend about $125K on a house, so I was wondering with our lower budget, could we find a house in a safe, fairly nice area of Lewisville? And would the neighborhood of Lewisville we might end up in for $125K be more safe or less safe compare to the neighborhood we might end up in for $125K in Plano? I believe houses in Lewisville are cheaper than Flower Mound or Coppell; I don't know where Double Oak or Highland Village rank price-wise or safety-wise and if they might be options for us.

Thanks!
Lewisville has some nice neighborhoods with houses in your price range. You will have a very hard time finding anything good in Plano for $125K though. Lewisville is nice area and the schools are good. The commute to Denton would be easy. Hope this helps!

Also, I would appreciate if you would give me some Reputation points by rating my posts. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,751,787 times
My parents live in a neighborhood just off 407 on the east side of I35. Oakridge Park Estates is the subdivision I believe. They've been there 15 years and have been very happy. It's an older neighborhood but quiet and safe. Lots of trees.

It's just south of Lake Lewisville. Normally I wouldn't recommend crossing the lake due to rush hour issues, but you'd be going against traffic. I did one year at UNT while living there. They were saying something about DART putting in a light rail station just before you cross the lake. That'll take you down into Dallas on the rail system. Although that's a ways away.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:07 PM

7 posts, read 33,746 times
Thank you everyone and longhornfan22, I rated your post.

What parts of Lewisville are more run down and what parts are nicer? Are there any general rules of thumb ("stay south of main st." or whatnot)?

And how is the area around Medical Center of Lewisville? I am a nurse, so if we decided on Lewisville, I might apply there. Want to be aware of excessively dangerous parking lots, etc.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:50 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,751,787 times
Medical Center of Lewisville is near the downtown area and they've seemed to really have tried to revitalize that area. Some of it is still in need of some work, but there's also several streets that have that old school downtown charm.

As far as the hospital parking lot being safe, I don't think that's an issue. It's pretty well lit and not super huge. No parking garage. Dad has been dealing with some health issues for the last several years and they've been to the ER in the middle of the night more than a few times. Mom has never indicated that safety was a concern, and she would. ;-)

Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
why can't you just live in Denton
Denton is a growing town--has good medical center there --retial shopping has improved in last few years--locals schools are pretty good depending on area you live in
housing has areas in your price range--
why do you have to live in Dallas area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas