Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 02:44 AM

8 posts, read 32,601 times

Advertisements

When I moved to Rains County Tx by Lake Fork!

After spending only $105,000 on buildings and 11.5 acres of ag exempt land.

RAINS COUNTY TAXED ME a WHOPPING $255,000

Don't make the same mistake!
You could stay in the metroplex cheaper, and not have to buy your own $5,000 sewer system and burn your own trash!
Let alone pay $900.00 a year for an ambulance you will probably never see! {at least in time}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2006, 04:00 PM

20 posts, read 77,685 times
Dear Ifish,

WOW! I cannot IMAGINE! Sounds like a nightmare!

How is it possible that your taxes are higher than the actual value of the property? Did a friend or relative sell you a multi-million dollar peice of land at a small fraction of the cost? (That is common here in Miami-I know ppl that has happened to.) It can come as a shock!

If that is not the case, I suggest you contact the Appraisers office and at least explore the possibility that there is an error. Computer error is a very real possibility. Normally, most taxes are assesed at a millage rate...0.XXX cents times the property value/assesment. Some fees ARE flat in that the fee is 1 per property parcel. (so if you own multiple parcels there would be a mult/parcel multiplier.)

I am no expert-by any streach of the imagination, but I own vacant land in FL and I know how it works here. (Taxes are astronomical in Florida!) The numbskulls charge me for roads, schools, ambulances, brush cutting etc on property I cannot develop because it is considered a (Scrub Jay) wildlife protection area. As if the blasted BIRDS need roads and ambulances! And don't even get me STARTED on how it's impotrant to trim the trees the BIRDS live in-sigh.)

Anyway-step one: Make an appt w/ the appraisers office. Step two: Be civil. If a mistake was made-we're all human-be sure to act like one. LOL. I understand your anger and frustration but you know what they say about 'bees and honey'.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:16 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,862 times
Yes please go and check it out at the Appraisers office. It has to be a mistake. If it is not, find out why. I would like to know myself. Being someone who wants to move to Texas, I would be concerned about that.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:20 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,710 times
I have been through Rains County, wow that is far out there. I agree that you need to go talk to the central appraisal district as well. I have seen the building too, passed by it going Greenville. Very small town atmophere. I smell a fish.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:27 AM

Default worse than i thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas
Yes please go and check it out at the Appraisers office. It has to be a mistake. If it is not, find out why. I would like to know myself. Being someone who wants to move to Texas, I would be concerned about that.

Thanks for sharing that with us.
Heres what they are doing...it's actualy worse than I thought!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...qq/Picture.jpg

Old 06-03-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4u
When I moved to Rains County Tx by Lake Fork!

After spending only $105,000 on buildings and 11.5 acres of ag exempt land.

RAINS COUNTY TAXED ME a WHOPPING $283,000 total market value

Don't make the same mistake!
You could stay in the metroplex cheaper, and not have to buy your own $5,000 sewer system and burn your own trash!
Let alone pay $900.00 a year for an ambulance you will probably never see! {at least in time}
This might help clear things up!

Old 06-03-2006, 08:07 AM

Are you saying that they are charging seperately for everything? I don't get it. So was it a mistake or not? All those figures scare the heck out of me. It must not be a good idea to own lots of land in Texas then, right?

I don't understand what I am reading. Any one else understand it?

Old 06-03-2006, 09:42 AM

Hello again, ifish!

This detail makes it a bit clearer. But I STILL think you should contest the Market value appraisal of structures (assuming there has been no significant improvements since you bought it-oh-what the heck contest it anyway! LOL). From this, I would guess that there was no building on this land prior to this most recent sale.

I'm sure absolutely everyone has told you that 'estimated taxes' and the actual tax bill never are exactly the same, although that may be true, this document is generated w/ the express purposes of allowing for corrections prior to the mailing of actual tax bills.

In this mailing, you should have recieved instructions on how to go about requesting a correction/reevaluation. I strongly encourage you to try it-what's the worst that can happen? They say no?

Again, best of luck to you.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:13 AM

Dear Bound,

Thanks for the pic, actually that is very useful!

In answer to your question: Yes, they charge seperately for everything. (They do the same thing here in Florida.) Millage rates are set independantly of each other-just like budget line items.

If I had to make an educated guess on the history of this property....

It looks like at the last complete assessment the land was zoned all Ag, w/ maybe a road [the 3,492 from last year]. Since then, the property was sub-divided and a portion was zoned as residential. Apparantly a house was even built which would explain the Homestead exemption. Some of the land, presumably surrounding the house is now NON-AG [this would explain the decrease in the productivity value from 1,503 to 1,370.] w/ the balance still considered Ag or timberland also appreciating in value.

Keeping in mind that this is just an educated guess on my part-I agree w/ you. It is very confusing! Personally, I think it would be better if they sent out two bills-one for the AG land and another for the improved land/house...again assuming my guess is correct!

Owning lots of land in Tx may not be such a bad idea-I don't think you should base your decision on this one single case. Just keep in mind that if you improve the land, you increase it's value over and above any normal appreciation you would otherwise experience.

Think of it this way: If a company goes out and buys 1000 acres of undeveloped land at $2 an acre and then builds a shopping center or apartment building on that land...it's then worth a heck of a lot more than $2 an acre. I'm sure you would agree that taxes should be based on the improved value not the purchase price of the land [$2.].

I'm really not good at explaining things, but I hope this helps you in making your decision.

Old 06-03-2006, 01:15 PM

Thanks Barbee, yes that was put in a way that I can understand. I guess you would have to find out if all that land you want to buy is part AG or not. Wouldn't that make a difference in the cost of the Taxes? Or did I get this right. I bet they don't tell you that when you buy a place. Hummm interesting.

Thank you again.
Carol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas