Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:43 PM

70 posts, read 125,799 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to let you folks know what is going on in this city and why so many Dallasites, Texans, and Americans want all of these illegals out of here.

My stepfather has COPD and emphysema. He can barely breathe and due to this fact, can no longer work. He can't even take the trash to the curb without nearly fainting.

Two weeks ago, I took him to Parkland to see a doctor. We waited all day and never saw one. Only a physician's assistant, whatever that is. Nothing but illegals in there that time. They didn't admit him (although they admitted plenty of these illegals who spoke absolutely no English so they could deliver their "anchor babies." I was informed that in order for my stepfather to get a health card, I needed the form stating that he was denied unemployment benefits.

Went back today with him and the paperwork. Again, nothing but non-English speaking people enrolling their "anchor babies" in the CHIPs program. This time, I was told that he had to go down to the Texas Workforce Commission and apply for a job. I told them that he was disabled and we needed a doctor to certify this. Was told, couldn't see a doctor to certify disability w/o going to TWC to apply for a job. Now, does that make sense to you?

I am fed up! I've had it up to here with the county and the federal gov't refusing to address this situation. It is a disgrace when all these illegals can come here, have their "anchor babies," crowd the only public hospital in Dallas county, and drain our resources, BUT A UNITED STATES CITIZEN who has worked hard all his life, paid his taxes, and obeyed the law is DENIED any kind of help.

I told my stepfather that, even if I acquired all of the necessary papers that they requested of me this time, if we went back, they would find something else for me to dig up. It reminded me of the John Grishom book "The Rainmaker" where the claims rep said that it was policy to deny all claims for a year in the hopes that the policyholder would just give up and go away, which most of them did.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:12 PM

63 posts, read 206,664 times
Your problem is bureaucracy, but you blame the illegals.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by settledindfw View Post
Your problem is bureaucracy, but you blame the illegals.
Let me say this, I blame them both. That's why I said I'm fed up with the county and the feds, for they are criminal in their negligence. And I'm fed up with the illegals because they are, well, illegal. It's called criminality. Don't give me this crap about humanity and blah, blah, blah. We are not the dumping ground for the worlds poor. There are parts of Dallas that resemble the Third World and if we're not careful, Texas will soon look like Mexico, with a two-class society.

My sister was rear ended by an illegal a few months back. No license. No insurance. Nothing. Natually, they took off before the police could arrive. Her insurance company had to pay for the damage caused by an illegal. Thus, her premiums went up, and guess what, YOUR premiums went up as well.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:36 PM

212 posts, read 1,154,312 times
Why is he going to the ER for his disability certification? That's not an emergency, but labor and childbirth is.
I suggest taking your father to a private practice for medical care. If you're going to Parkland because it's a public hospital and you lack insurance, you don't really have a lot of room to talk about the illigals mooching off the rest of us...

Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlosmTX View Post
Why is he going to the ER for his disability certification? That's not an emergency, but labor and childbirth is.
I suggest taking your father to a private practice for medical care. If you're going to Parkland because it's a public hospital and you lack insurance, you don't really have a lot of room to talk about the illigals mooching off the rest of us...
Due to serious short-term memory lapses, I and the rest of my family have the impression that he may a suffered some kind of a stroke. I called to make an appointment with a private neurologist. The price for a simple consultation was $400. How DARE you imply that I or my father are somehow "mooching" off the county taxpayer when we both have lived in Dallas our entire lives, paid our taxes, and have NEVER asked for anything in return. HOW DARE YOU, MADAM!!!!!!

Not an emergency??? When a person can not breathe???? In case you never took anatomy, madam, let me explain a simple process to you. Without oxygen, the brain dies. When the brain dies, the man dies. Get it? What a nerve you have.

If you want to defend these illegals, that's your position. I guess that they come to manicure your lawn, or cook for your children. Same attitude. "Not my illegals." The difference is, we have PAID into this system for years. THEY HAVEN'T. I don't see how you draw the conclusion that a person who can not breathe is not in a life-threatening emergency. Would you say that to a child found unconcious in a pool?

Two weeks ago, we tried to have him admitted. Denied. Have to have a health card. Went back to get it today. Nope. Have to have this or have to have that. I am not a wealthy man. I don't have a spare $400 for a consultation, much less what it would cost to have an MRI or CAT scan.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-31-2007 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 08-31-2007, 03:17 PM

I re-read your post, and can't for the life of me see where you said or implied that you were at Parkland because your father wasn't breathing or showing signs of a stroke, so don't jump down my throat for not knowing your entire family medical history. Your post sounded like you were there for non-emergency treatment, which is not the purpose of the ER.

I noticed that you never directly answered my insurance question, so I'm assuming you must be indigent, in which case YES you ARE mooching off the rest of us. You want to use hospital services for which you have no means of paying. Taxes have nothing to do with it. It's not a pay for play system. I pay taxes too, but I wouldnt be expected to be treated any differently than anyone else asking for free service at the public hospital.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-31-2007 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: off topic content

Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlosmTX View Post
I re-read your post, and can't for the life of me see where you said or implied that you were at Parkland because your father wasn't breathing or showing signs of a stroke, so don't jump down my throat for not knowing your entire family medical history. Your post sounded like you were there for non-emergency treatment, which is not the purpose of the ER.

I noticed that you never directly answered my insurance question, so I'm assuming you must be indigent, in which case YES you ARE mooching off the rest of us. You want to use hospital services for which you have no means of paying. Taxes have nothing to do with it. It's not a pay for play system. I pay taxes too, but I wouldnt be expected to be treated any differently than anyone else asking for free service at the public hospital.
Here is the tale. The man could no longer perform his duties at work due to the fact that COPD and breathing difficulties had slowed him down so much. Then, when he couldn't remember what took place just five or ten minutes before, he was terminated and his health insurance along with it. Obviously, I can't add him to my coverage because that's just for dependents, even though he is technically dependent on me. At 55, he doesn't qualify for Medicare. I am not a moocher, but I don't exactly have $400 in spare change lying around, and I certainly don't have an extra $3500 which is what it would cost for a CAT scan and MRI.

My stepfather told me today that he would rather die than ask for a handout, which he has never done. After we finished at Parkland, I told Bill that it was pretty much hopeless and that he may want to entertain the idea of simply facing death with little more than quiet courage. Yes, sometimes the truth can be brutal.

We went for ER treatment two weeks ago. That was denied. We were told that he had to have a health card. To get this, I had to prove to the county that he was disabled and could no longer work. Only, today, they told me that in order to get this, I had to take him to TWC or to the Salvation Army. That's ridiculous.

It is just awful how people who have worked for almost 40 years, paid into the system (no, it's only your tax dollars, selfish, it's ALL of ours), just to be told that nothing can be done. You're on your own. I told Bill, that in such a world, I'd rather face death and to be brave.

I, nor anyone in my family, has ever asked for help. Too much pride. Not a sin in today's world. Pride is a good thing. It saves the taxpayer's (like ourselves) money. This man is so ill, that he actually told me this afternoon, that if he gets too ill, we, his family, have permission to shoot him. I told him that this was illegal and we would never do such a thing. Maybe it shouldn't be illegal. If you can't get any treatment, it's called mercy.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-31-2007 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 08-31-2007, 03:39 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
I don't blame you for being angry. You are the polar opposite from those who do not pay taxes and insurance yet expect and even vehemently demand that everything is your 'right' and that you should be catered to no matter how much anyone else is hurting...

Old 08-31-2007, 03:47 PM

I am not an evil and unmerciful person, but I have a tendency to tell it like I see it. With all the complaining about "anchor babies" and illigals in your original post, you sounded a little hypocritical since you were there for medical freebies too.

Thanks for sharing your history. I agree that the beurocracy involved in taking advantage of public services can be a nightmare. I hope you can figure out a way to work things out.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
I don't see it as a freebie when you have been paying taxes for Parkland for years and years.

That is what Parkland is supposed to be 'for' as is unemployment insurance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: