Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 17,135 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am relocating to Dallas from CT. I am of hispanic and italian descent and am used to having lots of both around...am wondering what to expect as far as diversity goes. I know there is a large Mexican community, but are there any other hispanic groups as well?

I am especially interested in the music scene...and dating...I am single and a little worried about being an outcast...

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments, I hope I am just being paranoid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 15,695 times
Default Puerto Rican Dominicans Cubans In Dallas? Please Help

I Just Moved To Dallas From New York And I Am Puerto Rican....i Feel Like I Am An Outcast Because Most Of The People Down Here Are Either Caucaisan Or Mexican....does Anybody Know How I Can Meet Other Puerto Ricans Dominicans Or Cubans

Old 06-05-2007, 08:26 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRICAN1 View Post
I Just Moved To Dallas From New York And I Am Puerto Rican....i Feel Like I Am An Outcast Because Most Of The People Down Here Are Either Caucaisan Or Mexican....does Anybody Know How I Can Meet Other Puerto Ricans Dominicans Or Cubans
New York City ;-)

Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Geez, I don't know as my kids go to school and are friends w/ several other kids from those places and have been in the states for a LONG time (parents mostly born there and a few of the kids were too but most here in the states). Also have many business clients that are from those areas that all have been here for decades. All of these folks seem to be doing fine. Maybe try not to limit who your friends are based on their origin or home country?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:57 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Puerto Ricans, Domincans, and Cubans do not have a large presence in Texas. In fact, I would wager that most of the Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Cubans Texas does have is probably in Houston. I do know the Puerto Rican population is beginning to explode in Houston. I read it was the fastest growing in Houston this decade behind Columbians in a Houston Chronicle paper. I don't honestly know about Dallas, though. Never thought they would have a presence there that much. But I may be wrong.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Geez, I don't know as my kids go to school and are friends w/ several other kids from those places and have been in the states for a LONG time (parents mostly born there and a few of the kids were too but most here in the states). Also have many business clients that are from those areas that all have been here for decades. All of these folks seem to be doing fine. Maybe try not to limit who your friends are based on their origin or home country?
I have to agree with mom 150%. This is the US, a virtual melting pot for the rest of the globe. Perhaps it's time to expand your horizons a little and meet some people outside your own comfort zone as well.

We wont bite :-)

Old 06-07-2007, 10:44 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Let's not make a big deal about this. I would be the same way if I moved to a different place. If he wants to find people that he is comfortable with or looks like him, than let it be. I'm sure he would have no problem finding people of different origins but he's just wondering if there is a presence of the people he's looking for in Dallas.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:29 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
There's actually a healthy mix of Puerto Ricans in the DFW area. Having American Airlines here has helped because many have moved from the large AA hub at San Juan and instead of heading to New York or Miami, they've been moving to affordable DFW.

My best friend and partner is Puerto Rican (from Carolina) and he has many friends here now and they've even been able to locate restaurants that specialize in arroz con gandules, asopao, piononos, pasteles, tostones, etc., etc. There are actually three Puerto Rican families within a few blocks of the house and the sofrito, culantro and various recipes are passed amongst each other when someone decides to make a specialty at home! And what would Christmas be now without coquito??!!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 PM

14 posts, read 45,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisqueyana View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am relocating to Dallas from CT. I am of hispanic and italian descent and am used to having lots of both around...am wondering what to expect as far as diversity goes. I know there is a large Mexican community, but are there any other hispanic groups as well?

I am especially interested in the music scene...and dating...I am single and a little worried about being an outcast...

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments, I hope I am just being paranoid!

People are just people - lot's of OTM's (anglo version of other than mexican)

...or you can choose from us Texicans! Mija - guarantee you will feel at home here in the Metroplex.

btw - I'm extremely single...

Old 06-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenegro View Post
People are just people - lot's of OTM's (anglo version of other than mexican)

...or you can choose from us Texicans! Mija - guarantee you will feel at home here in the Metroplex.

btw - I'm extremely single...
Texicans....I love it.

Also, what's with the name ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas