Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkirkland78 View Post
I currently work for Aldi's and am looking forward to transfering to Dallas. If you call Tyson chicken an off brand then gee I don't know what would be good enough for you. All and all Aldi's is a great company they pay way above average(let's put it this way, I make more than a Dallas police officer and my life is not in danger). The can of "corn" you buy well, thousands of these cans are lined up and one row gets a Delmonte lable put on it, one row gets a Green Giant label one row gets a Kroger label and row may get an Aldi's label. That's not be foolish. As to produce, they like to ensure your local farmers stay employed. They are very picky about thier fresh meat and fresh produce. If the quality is not up to par they would rather say they are out of something. That says alot for a company. Also I promise you as an employee you cannot get full health insurance any cheaper than with Aldi. I feel bad if any of you have had bad experiences in the past, but friendliness, cleanliness, and quality are very important to this company. Hope you guys give them a chance, you won't be dissappointed!!!!!!
I think you may be misunderstanding those who have expressed thier views of Aldis. It certainly has a place in the grocery business and of course Tysons isn't an off brand, but you do have to admit most of what they carry are off brands and I have shopped at the one here (rarely) their produce isn't top quality, not what they have on sale anyway. The stuff that isn't on sale is not always that much cheaper than Krogers, Tom Thumb etc.

This has nothing to do with how they treat their employees or their benefits. That is wonderful to hear, some are just saying Aldis isn't for everyone anymore than Trader Joes or Whole Foods is for everyone.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:51 PM

12 posts, read 21,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you may be misunderstanding those who have expressed thier views of Aldis. It certainly has a place in the grocery business and of course Tysons isn't an off brand, but you do have to admit most of what they carry are off brands and I have shopped at the one here (rarely) their produce isn't top quality, not what they have on sale anyway. The stuff that isn't on sale is not always that much cheaper than Krogers, Tom Thumb etc.

This has nothing to do with how they treat their employees or their benefits. That is wonderful to hear, some are just saying Aldis isn't for everyone anymore than Trader Joes or Whole Foods is for everyone.

Nita
I agree. They have made alot of changes and I hope you all enjoy or at least try it

Old 06-14-2009, 07:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
If they do bring Trader Joe's to DFW it will not be anywhere near me in Richardson, they will build it in Frisco or Plano to be close to the Californians and I am not going to Frisco or Plano to do my grocery shopping. So it will not affect me at all!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If they do bring Trader Joe's to DFW it will not be anywhere near me in Richardson, they will build it in Frisco or Plano to be close to the Californians and I am not going to Frisco or Plano to do my grocery shopping. So it will not affect me at all!
When we lived in NM we were about 45 miles from Joes. We didn't do that much shopping, but would go about once a month when we went to ABQ for other things. We stocked up on our favorites. I don't think many people use places like Trader Joes for all the groceries. By the way, it isn't just people from Ca that love TJoes. The chain in now throughout the south, in a few places in the mid west, New England and the southwest. It is pretty much just this corridor from above AR to the border that hasn't gotten a single store yet.

Nita

Nita

Old 06-14-2009, 10:55 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Trader Joe's in Texas? I thought they were primarily a California operation.
Haven't you heard? There is a big conspiracy for California to take over Texas....that's why they keep moving here in droves.

Lets just hope they leave their state income taxes, over priced real estate, and Liberal mindset behind in California.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:12 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Yeah Aldi is overrated. If anyone here in Dallas remember King Savers, or Texas T, that is the closest thing I can compare it to. Saying it's no frills would be an understatement. I believe they are only open on a very limited schedule

I think all of these "discount grocers" are overrated. How many of these things have come to Texas and have either failed or don't live up to what they say they were going to.

This IS TEXAS, and the BIG 4 here (H-E-B, Kroger, Whole Foods & Wal-Mart) will ALWAYS rule. Anything else that attempts to break into the TX market will more than likely fail.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Like Food Lion? Still can't get over the 20/20 report on their washing their old meats with bleach.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I think all of these "discount grocers" are overrated. How many of these things have come to Texas and have either failed or don't live up to what they say they were going to.

This IS TEXAS, and the BIG 4 here (H-E-B, Kroger, Whole Foods & Wal-Mart) will ALWAYS rule. Anything else that attempts to break into the TX market will more than likely fail.
again, I think you are missing the point. This is more like a tiny, tiny Sams or something. Yes, maybe you coulld think of it sorta like Food Lion, but it is different. I am not saying it will or will not make it, I don't shop there as I have mentioned, but it isn't just another discount grocery store.

Nita

Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Wasn't that first TJoes on Fair Oaks in Pasadena on a corner? I thought it was Fair Oaks, I might be wrong.
nope....
the very first Trader Joes was in Covina, CA or West Covina, CA... I just can't remember anymore which was first, but these were definitely the first two. I think the first was West Covina, in a strip mall along the I-10 freeway.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,146 times
Thumbs up yeah for Aldi

love aldi, love to save, of course I shop at the Central market in Soutlake, if I go for German Bratwurst(which of course is not authentic) I was born and raised there and know my Wurst. I also grew up shopping at Aldi, and guess my parents were no cheap skates, otherwise we would have not gone skiing twice a year( in Switzerland) and spent ourlong summers in my Dad's house in Calpe (Spain) my mom is an excellent cook and after Aldi offered fresh produce and meats, dairy my parents did most of all the shopping there. We kids never complained(we were 5) the chocolate was great, the chips awesome and the River Cola ok. My dad always had a great income and knows his products and would never buy crap.. he is a general manager for a big card board box company in the Netherlands. He supplies to big food manuf. in Germany and he knows who sells to ALDI :O)) there is even a list on the german internet where you can find who does. So people who are negative in a way and compare to Food Lion or other crappy american companies should hold their horses. ALDI kicked Wal Mart big time out of Germany. NO MORE. If you believe in all the bull advertising, not recycling, to lazy to push the cart back to the door of the grocery store, then go and shop at Krogers or Walmart, where some 85 year old bags your crappy groceries, and greats you at the entrance with a cane, who give a crap about that? huh..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas