Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 PM

8 posts, read 27,461 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Looks like we are moving back to the Dallas area again. We lived in Waxahachie about 2 years ago, like that area, but would like to live close to downtown (where my husbands company is instead of looonnnnggg commutes).

Have some friends who live in Oak Cliff near Bishop Arts but I have mixed feelings about it for my family--one boy who will be going to middle school next year and we hope to have another child in the next couple of years. I would also like to know about Lakewood and areas like it.

So basically, I would rather be in a good public school district rather than private school. I like diverse neighborhoods--emptynesters, young professionals, gay couples, stay-at-home moms, etc. A neighborhood where people actually talk to one another and know everyone. I live in one like that now and will be really sad to leave--had no idea before now that they actually exist.....

I have horses but will board them b/c I dont think I will be able to find something within 20 miles of downtown that I will be able to have horses (unless I'm wrong??).

We would like to find something between $200-$350K (we could go higher if we really had to), around 2000+ sq ft

Any help you could give would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Horses within 20 miles of downtown... about all I can think of is the Cedar Hill area, and that is pushing the 20 mile limit. And for $200-350, you won't get a lot of property. Check out board prices before you make this move. *IF* you can find a place closer that has stalls open, it is going to cost about $350 a month PER horse!

Honestly, you might be better off staying in Waxahachie. An additional $700 a month to board your horses would eclipse any savings on gas and time.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,378 times
Well, unfortunately, there are not many good (if any) public schools in Dallas past elementary. The magnet schools in Dallas are nationally recognized, but everything else is subpar in education and opportunity. Oak Cliff would be even worse for schooling than Lakewood.

Houses in Lakewood and surrounding neighborhoods sell for around $200/square foot, some more, some less. But you would definitely want to put your kids in private school.

It sounds like the suburbs may be better for you financially, I would look to the far east and far south of Dallas and you might find some land for a decent price.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
In my area, Casa Linda (near Buckner and Garland Rd) there are a few large lots where horses are allowed (Yes! in the city). There's a property on Oates Dr that may be possible. And I believe there is one on Buckner.

Also look at White Rock Stable near the north part of the lake...north of NW Hwy off Lawther.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
In my area, Casa Linda (near Buckner and Garland Rd) there are a few large lots where horses are allowed (Yes! in the city). There's a property on Oates Dr that may be possible. And I believe there is one on Buckner.

Also look at White Rock Stable near the north part of the lake...north of NW Hwy off Lawther.
I belive lots in Casa Linda are only 1 acre (maybe 2 acres?), which is not enough room to board a horse long term.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:29 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
There are homes with horses living on property currently on Buckner and Bella Vista.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM

178 posts, read 788,415 times
There are also some living on property @ Ferguson and Lakeland.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
There are homes with horses living on property currently on Buckner and Bella Vista.
Yes, there are, but her price range of $200-350 will not buy one of those homes IF there was one for sale.

And I wouldn't send a kid to Bryan Adams HS on a dare...

Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 AM

264 posts, read 1,184,520 times
Lake Highlands has everything you want.
It's in the city of Dallas, but in Richardson ISD (great ISD). There are tons of homes in your price range, and there are horse stables in the area - Rocking M. It is a very friendly, "small town" neighborhood with a nice mix of residents. The parents are all very involved in the schools. I recommend you look at homes in the attendance zones for Merriman Park, Moss Haven, and White Rock elementary schools.
If you want more info, feel free to send me a direct message.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas