Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 11,559 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Richardson in a 3000 sq ft house with a pool within walking distance of parks, school, tennis courts, & a football field. The elementary here is exemplary. We have 3 boys age 5 and under (plus my husband's 3 older kids who only come over occasionally). We are having to move to scale down in price. We have narrowed our decision to a house in Plano in Wellington Run near Spring Creek between Coit & Preston or a house in Allen in the Suncreek subdivision (off Alma between Hedgecoxe & McDermott). The house in Plano is move-in ready but has a small yard & no community pool, however, we love Plano Sports Authority which is nearby and Plano has some wonderful facilities with pools. The house backs up to a big greenbelt though so we could use that for the kids to play in since the yard is small. The house is somewhat close to power lines though and has been on the market a long time so we're worried about resell.

The Allen house is beautiful and probably worth more but has been occupied by a long time smoker and smells horrible. It also needs some updating but would be a stunner if we could get it at the right price so we could paint/replace carpet to get the smoke smell out. The Plano elementary is Gulledge & the Allen elementary is Norton. My 5 year old starts kindergarten and has moderate/severe ADHD so I wondered which school would be best. We're not worried about commute - mainly just better neighborhood, amenities for the kids and schools. Any thoughts on which would be best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
W. Plano, no question.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,871 times
Default Re:

Forget everything else - you'll never get that cigarette smell out.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,459,776 times
Are you renting the house in Richardson? I think I know where you're looking in Plano, and while the schools are good I wouldn't want my kids so close to the powerline. If I were in your shoes I would keep looking.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:46 AM

82 posts, read 280,084 times
We saw a beautiful underpriced house that sinked of cigarettes in Allen. Were going to buy it but were concerned about the smell. Thought it would be a huge amount of work to get the smell out. I have asthma and two burds so I decided not to get it. You may be signing up for a nightmare of a job to get that smell out. Maybe you should look further.

Bird Lover

Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM

198 posts, read 499,442 times
Gulledge is rated 10/10 on GreatSchools... it feeds into Robinson MS which is 10, which feeds into Jasper HS (10) and Jasper feeds into Plano West (10). No doubt the schools are better in that area you are looking at.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Forget everything else - you'll never get that cigarette smell out.
Exactly. Paint alone will not do it. If the person smoked heavily for a long time, the nicotine in the drywall will even seep through paint, so you'd need to replace all of the drywall. GROSS!!!

Old 05-03-2009, 02:51 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,716 times
Norton is an excellent Elementary school as well.

However, I tend to prefer the overall experience of living close to the North Dallas tollway as opposed to living near the 75. Allen is nice, but personally I like West Plano. Also note that some consider West Plano west of Preston, not west of Coit.

As for cigarette smoke smell, if you replace the carpet, paint and have the hvac ducts professionally cleaned, it should not be an issue. BUT....these things cost money. So factor that into the cost.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:18 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,774 times
Let's just add ....................ONE MORE REASON NOT TO SMOKE!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 6,056 times
Default Hi

Hi.
Saw your thread and wanted to ask: We are moving to Dallas from New Zealand and having never been to Dallas, we have heard Richardson is nice but that's all hearsay to us. We have two boys under 6 so want good schooling and have seen Bowie school has good results. So can I please ask what are really good suburbs to look to move to, and as a general rule what areas should we stay away from? Would be very grateful your view having lived in Richardson?
Many thanks J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas