Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 07:48 PM

29 posts, read 106,551 times

Advertisements

i am a college student who is majoring in landscaping and business, how are the job situations in and around dallas? i live in minnesota and the housing and clothing and food and taxes are so high! I plan to relocate to dallas after college. The weather is much warmer in dallas, compared to our -29 degree winters!

thanks for the replys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 06:23 AM

13 posts, read 42,308 times
From what we hear, the job market is better here than most places in the U.S. If you are looking for a job as a landscaper, you won't have any problem finding one in the spring or summer. If you are planning on starting your own business, I would try to hold off until the economy gets better. We've dropped our prices and our still got under bid on our last two quotes. Ofcourse, we do landscape and irrigation. Good luck to you!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 AM

thank you "native springs" I will try my best to be sucessful, any other replys are great! please let me know! thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM

91 posts, read 329,913 times
If you can mix your business and have some targetting of higher-end clients, you can have good business all-year since some wealthier people change their lawns to winter grass as it gets cooler, then back to spring/summer grass to have a green yard all year.

Like nativesprings said, the economy here is better, relatively speaking, than the majority of the country. It's still being affected, but much less than many other parts.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:07 PM

i have always heard the economy is better in dallas texas!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,876,049 times
The job market is up/down and fluctuates with the overall market.

However the taxes, limited government, and low cost of living make Texas IMO the best state to relocate to. Especially if you are going to be working most of the time. LA and NY have fantastic night lives but way too expensive to live and work there. I'd rather go on vacation to LA and NY rather than live there. Lets just hope it stays that way. Here are some statistics:

Texas has the most fortune 500 companies, more than New York.
2nd largest economy in the US.
#1 in exporter of goods compared to other states

Here is what wikipedia says:

Quote:
Texas's growth can be attributed to the availability of jobs, the low cost of housing, the lack of a personal state income tax, the quality of higher education, low taxation and limited regulation of business, a central geographic location, a limited government, favorable weather, and plentiful supplies of oil and natural gas.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:24 AM

5,642 posts, read 24,978,859 times
My brother-in-law runs landscape operations for a large company in DFW and says business has never been better... they have large jobs in numberous cities in the state.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:18 AM

thats good to know i feel confident now!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:35 PM

are there also good garden centers in dfw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas