Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:17 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasLady View Post
People often rave about how safe the suburbs are. However, that might not be the case. The suburbs often have to compete with Dallas in hiring police. Dallas can offer better benefits, so Dallas wins.
Are you making this up as you go ? The northern suburbs are many times safer than Dallas. Also, even if Dallas pays better benefits, it's because they have too as a policeman/women face alot more life/death situations the closer they get to Dallas proper (drive by vs. rich kid running a stop sign).

I'm still kind of amazed that you made this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Are you making this up as you go ? The northern suburbs are many times safer than Dallas. Also, even if Dallas pays better benefits, it's because they have too as a policeman/women face alot more life/death situations the closer they get to Dallas proper (drive by vs. rich kid running a stop sign).

I'm still kind of amazed that you made this statement.
I'm not surprised by her statement at all. Stay north of I-30 and crime isn't an issue. Southeast Dallas is the most dangerous part of Dallas. Don't move down there. But I wouldn't be caught dead living in the northern suburbs (pun intended).

I live in Lakewood. It is east of downtown. I receive crime statistics every week from my neighborhood association.

In 2006 we had two crimes reported. Two. In one instance, a liquor store was broken into after hours. In the other, a car was broken into at 3:00 am at the DART rail station. Oh the humanity! Let's move to Plano immediately!!! You people are a bunch of pansies.

My biggest concern about moving to Dallas would never be the crime. Instead, my concern would be the regular high schools (although the magnet schools were named the best schools in the United States by U.S. News and World Report). Our elementary and junior high school in Lakewood (DISD) were rated exemplary by the Texas board of education. There are many private schools to put children in also.

I grew up in Highland Park, which frankly, makes all northern suburbs look like crack house neighborhoods. I would never consider moving to Plano, Frisco, et al. The lack of character of the people/houses/neighborhoods is something I don't want a part of.

Dallas doesn't have the best schools, and the southern portion of the city has crime. But my home has character. I'm close to work and my family. I have big trees in my yard. Not everyone on my street has the same or similar floor plan / same shirts / same car. It's five minutes to three different grocery stores / and dozens of restaurants. I like my neighborhood because it is nothing like Plano, Frisco or Allen.

I'll put up with the TWO CRIMES PER YEAR.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 04-05-2007 at 10:30 AM..

Old 04-05-2007, 11:39 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I grew up in Highland Park, which frankly, makes all northern suburbs look like crack house neighborhoods. I would never consider moving to Plano, Frisco, et al. The lack of character of the people/houses/neighborhoods is something I don't want a part of.
I think(?) we can all agree that not all of Dallas proper is equivalent to living in the projects or a third-world country, but it's also not correct to characterize the northern suburbs as having a lack of character.

Obviously, the newer construction and faster growth of the suburbs compared to the original Dallas area is going to result in more similar neighborhoods. The Highland Park area, for instance, grew over many years and through many styles; while Plano was developed over a shorter period and has fewer styles.

However, it is just ridiculous to claim that the people of the suburbs have less character because of where they choose/need to live. If you can afford HP and still have the space for a family, more power to you - not everyone can (or wants to). Rather than say "those people have no character, because they are not just like me" is antithetical to the definition of character (I assume you are defining character as individuality; if you mean character as integrity, that is even more ridiculous).

Besides, we're all in this together - we should be ganging up on those Californians

Old 04-05-2007, 12:03 PM

326 posts, read 962,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd323 View Post
A developer is building a big mixed-use apartment complex at Harry Hines and Motor St; just down the street from UTSW. It might be worth looking into if it's completed by then. I'm sure it will have a lot of fellow students and other medical staff.
Looks nice and it will be right at a future rail station... http://www.cityville-apts.com/ Cityville @SWMD

Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times
The suburbs absolutely lack character. Okay, so a tract 1980s house does have "character." It's cheap cheesy character. Like the rest of the suburbs, they were meant to last a maximum of 30 years and then become obsolete. It's not Plano's fault. It's just the times we live in. It's called "planned obsolescence." I have lots of friends in development. They tell me that the nicer tract homes really are only built to last for 30 years. The cheap ones -- ten. In contrast, my home in Lakewood is 80 years old. And its great shape and beautiful. None of the houses look a like.

In most subdivisions in Plano, there are four floorplans. All are of similar brick. There are no trees. The houses are three feet a part. I could get a mansion in Plano. But I prefer my home in Lakewood many times more.

Where a person chooses to live does show what they value. That is my experience from living in Dallas for 30 years. I'm sticking to it.

People who only point others to the northern suburbs are giving their friends a grave disservice. Dallas has a lot to offer. Don't just bypass it on the way to Oklahoma.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
In most subdivisions in Plano, there are four floorplans. All are of similar brick. There are no trees. The houses are three feet a part. I could get a mansion in Plano. But I prefer my home in Lakewood many times more.
And every part of Dallas is a cesspool of drugs, hookers, and crime - oh wait, that's hyperbole also. Many stereotypes have a grain of truth in them, yet most intelligent people know that there are many shades of gray. I'm glad you enjoy Lakewood - it's a beautiful area, and there are many fine homes and people there. There are also, just like in any other part of any town, people and homes that aren't so great. Not everyone works downtown, not everyone is looking for the "hip" lifestyle that you value.

I'm sure there are many neighborhoods in Plano that have the features that you despise so much (although I've seen few, if any, that are "three feet" apart. There are also neighborhoods (especially once you get into the price range that would be necessary to buy a nice house in Lakewood), that have a variety of styles, trees that have matured, and nicely sized lots and amenities.

Quote:
Where a person chooses to live does show what they value. That is my experience from living in Dallas for 30 years. I'm sticking to it.
This statement is absolutely true. It's just that some people value time with their family gained by living close to where they work, or the affordability of a house that might cost less than your Lakewood house and still allow them money for family vacations or little things like college for the kids. Not everyone defines themselves by where they live or how many trees they have. 30 years is a long time to be in one place, maybe you should expand your world a little.

Quote:
People who only point others to the northern suburbs are giving their friends a grave disservice. Dallas has a lot to offer. Don't just bypass it on the way to Oklahoma.
Dallas has lots to offer, but it can't offer it to all 5 million people who live here. People point out the northern suburbs for a reason - that's where the growth is. But I agree that only pointing them out does them a disservice - just as insisting that they be ignored does.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Go to the intersection of Alma and Parker in Plano and tell me how nice it is. Plano is on the downhill slide as the schools (once a haven for white flight) now turn minority. That's because everyone thinks they need to keep moving further out (Frisco for the moment) to where the schools are all white. That's the mentality, don't blame me as the messenger.

I've lived in East Dallas and Lakewood for almost 50 years and I have never had a problem with crime at all. I lived in some areas that were a bit down in the 70s and 80s and are now more expensive than the suburbs but still, no crime problems even back then.

The suburbs in Dallas are plastic, conformist, materialistic and have to keep validating their decision to locate in such a dreary, sterile environment by casting aspersions on the city of Dallas.

I love Dallas -- see my posting on where to rent in Dallas.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Go to the intersection of Alma and Parker in Plano and tell me how nice it is.
Ditto for Abrams and Northwest Hwy in your neck of the woods. Plano is a large city, it is the sum of its parts, just as Dallas is. I'm not sure what part of my post you didn't read, but I think Lakewood is great - I have friends there and if my work was more convenient to that area, I might even live there. But here's a newsflash - it's a small part of a large city.

Quote:
I've lived in East Dallas and Lakewood for almost 50 years and I have never had a problem with crime at all. I lived in some areas that were a bit down in the 70s and 80s and are now more expensive than the suburbs but still, no crime problems even back then.
I've never had a crime problem in any of the areas I've lived either, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist outside our local neighborhoods - either in Dallas or Plano (BTW, I don't live in Plano, never have, so I have no reason to defend it.) I've lived in North Dallas for the past 5 years - no crime. Garland for 10 years before that - no crime. Childhood in mid-cities - no crime.

Quote:
The suburbs in Dallas are plastic, conformist, materialistic and have to keep validating their decision to locate in such a dreary, sterile environment by casting aspersions on the city of Dallas.

I love Dallas -- see my posting on where to rent in Dallas.
Right...no one in Dallas is plastic, conformist, or materialistic I see just as many luxury cars out by White Rock when I'm there as I do in "plasticland". My environment is neither dreary nor sterile - it's just a little newer than yours - not better, not worse, just different.

I love Dallas too, except for the elitist snobs.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
We're anti-snobs because we are mavericks and individualists - more interested in art, literature, politics, history and people than money. We are currently battling a yuppie invasion and Park Cities 'Creep' which doesn't follow the old money edicts of 'no showboating'. So yes, I have seen some incredible cars recently.

But we old-timers are benefiting from some of the highest real estate appreciation in the country.

We will convert the neophytes to the friendly, unpretentious ways which have been taught to generations of East Dallasites!

Come to the Lakewood Fourth of July Parade, St. Patty's on Greenville, the Swiss Ave Mother's Day Tour or the Woodrow musical and I guarantee you will be raving about East Dallas/Lakewood.

Incidentally, you might check out Northwest Highway and Abrams these days - it's being caught up in the wave of redevelopment sweeping Dallas.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:26 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,147,385 times
Quote:
We're anti-snobs because we are mavericks and individualists - more interested in art, literature, politics, history and people than money. We are currently battling a yuppie invasion and Park Cities 'Creep' which doesn't follow the old money edicts of 'no showboating'. So yes, I have seen some incredible cars recently.

But we old-timers are benefiting from some of the highest real estate appreciation in the country.

We will convert the neophytes to the friendly, unpretentious ways which have been taught to generations of East Dallasites!
Which is fine as long as you aren't lying to neophytes about the 'burbs.

But there are plenty of people who live in Plano that are not snob's either. My interests are in some art, literature, history and people. Politics is only a necessary evil. My only interest in money is in the things it buys, food, shelter, electricity, clothing, vacations, etc. I am not by any stretch of the imagination a yuppie. I am not middle management. I drive a 1997 VW Jetta for two reasons, one it's paid for and two it's the most reliable car I've ever owned. My family are the most important thing in my life. That's why I live in Plano instead of Dallas, Waxahachie, Allen, Melissa, Mansfield, or where we moved from Milford. Four miles separate my work and home. My commute is under 15 minutes. Oh. And we have three grocery stores within 1/4 mile of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas