Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times

Advertisements

One more vote here for Fort Worth Zoo... Kids always love going to the Dallas aquarium too.

Naima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 01:39 PM

686 posts, read 2,435,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlosmTX View Post
Deffinately Fort Worth!
Dallas Zoo has a great "children's zoo" area for little kids. The stream is GREAT for splashing around when it's hot outside, but the animals are seriously dissapointing.
They had a lot of deaths last year, and as far as I know they're without animals in the giraffes, elephants, lions, and gorrillas exhibits.
They do have gorillas and giraffes, but no elephants and lions. They probably won't be getting any lions or elephants before the new African savanna habitat opens.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:45 PM

686 posts, read 2,435,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2one View Post
We're fairly new to the Dallas metroplex and are looking to do something fun with our two-year-old this weekend. She's a huge animal fan and we really enjoyed the zoo in our old hometown. Someone mentioned that there are some differences between the Dallas and Ft. Worth zoos. Is one better than the other? Safer? More attractions for the younger kids? Thanks for your help!
You need to visit both zoos at some point. Fort Worth's has been excellent for years. Dallas has been catching up recently, however. Dallas Roars starts in April, so you might go to the Dallas Zoo during that time.

DALLAS ROARS!

Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,233 times
Fort Worth.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:08 PM

5 posts, read 13,723 times
For this coming weekend I'd recommend the Fort Worth zoo. Dallas has a lot of construction projects going on right now and a lot of animals may be off exhibit. But definitely head out to the Dallas Zoo someday soon.

As someone who works in the field but not at either of these zoos, the Dallas Zoo is far better in terms of animal care and keeper dedication and conservation issues. In terms of entertainment and display, the Fort Worth zoo is better but Dallas is catching up and someday soon will be a top tier zoo in all areas.

The Fort Worth zoo is privately owned and doesn't have to deal with all the politics involved with being a city run instituion like the Dallas Zoo does. The Dallas Zoo is making some MAJOR changes and will be an awesome zoo in the years to come. Unfortunately, these changes take a lot of time and a lot of money so it won't happen overnight.

They do have some really neat things going on though. Like somone said, Dallas Roars is coming up and that is a neat time to be out at the zoo. Their children's zoo is very nice with lots of very neat interactive activities for the little ones and the monorail is a lot of fun as well.

and just a little fyi
I don't think the Fort Worth Zoo has lemurs, but the Dallas Zoo has a VERY NICE Lemur exhibit. The Dallas Zoo also has Gorillas (2 new girls in with the older girl along with the large male Patrick), Giraffe and elephant. 2 new giraffe came in this winter and Jenny is still at the zoo. The new savanha exhibit should open in 2010 and should be very nice. The zoo did have a lot of deaths this past year which was unfortunate, but most of those animals were very old, even for zoo animals and nothing lives forever.

Have fun this weekend, I love going to the zoo!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 AM

556 posts, read 1,562,789 times
Fort Worth! This zoo feels like a tropical getaway, and the animal displays feel intimate and natural.....

Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 PM

70 posts, read 278,281 times
Fort Worth is the best in the area. But there's also a drive through animal park called Fossil Rim about 1.5 hours SW of Dallas just outside of Glen Rose. Pack up the car with the kids and a picnic and head out to Fossil Rim. And if the kids are into dinosaurs, there's a dinosaur fossil park nearby.

As for other zoos, if you're ever in St. Louis, check out their zoo. One of the top in the country!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 PM

47 posts, read 272,651 times
Another vote for Ft Worth! (too bad it's the zoo that's further from me - and Dallas zoo is far enough!)

Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 AM

168 posts, read 573,383 times
if you do a little research on this, you will find that Ft. Worth Zoo is ranked as one of the top 10 zoos in the entire country.... Dallas is not even on the list... its fun to try both for variety, but as everyone has said, these zoos are not even in the same league with each other....

read first paragraph
Fort Worth Zoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-08-2009, 08:52 AM

126 posts, read 443,293 times
I took my 2-year-old daughter to the Dallas Zoo a few weeks ago. She likes animals but seemed pretty ho hum about our visit. It's an average zoo with enough attractions to keep toddlers interested but I think older kids would find it a bit dull. Our highlights were the giraffes and the tiger. Not very many wow moments though. I haven't been to the Ft. Worth Zoo but I'm excited to check it out. The aquarium sounds great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas