Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 7,950 times

Advertisements

Looking at the new homes being built in Las Colinas, called the Riverside Village where Highland, Coventry, and Darling are the builders.

This is a first home buy and would greatly appreciate input on the dilemma: Narrowed it down to Highland Homes and Coventry with comparable home square footage and floor plans for close enough price accounting for "discounts" (Highland about $10k more in final cost) - but the difference is in the lot size: 55' (Highland, actual lot size about 55 x 113) vs. 62' (Coventry, actual lot size about 70 x 115)

Why the price difference? Is Coventry the "better deal" or Highland's higher cost "justified"? Input??

Appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,232 times
Depends; Highland is more per sq. foot...but its houses are farther up la villita blvd closer to the Terraces of Las Colinas (LC's version of Southlake). Commercial Realty, Real Estate Development Sale or Lease | Woodmont

Coventry offers a product that gives you a better value/sq. foot. Larger lot. Actual base price of their house which is the only real thing you can compare is considerably cheaper per sq. footage.
Downsides of Coventry: You may get nickeled and dimed more on the upgrades. You are closer to those powerlines...which may or may not be a big deal to you. And you could potentially sit up against the Turnpike. However, Highland is pricier per sq. foot.

Darling: If you like mediterranean and low yard maintenance, then Darling is another option. It's the only house that offers spanish style tile roof, and they are JD Power's highest ratest builder in the Metroplex currently. They are priced right in between Coventry and Highland.

If it's Coventry vs. Highland, I would say Highland (barely) b/c I like the location of their lots better than Coventry. But Coventry offers the best price with quality per sq. foot in that division.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
I would go with Highland or Darling, both are fantastic builders and you won't be disappointed. I'm building with Darling in LaVillita but would have considered Highland if they had been a choice.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 AM

609 posts, read 2,921,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would go with Highland or Darling, both are fantastic builders and you won't be disappointed. I'm building with Darling in LaVillita but would have considered Highland if they had been a choice.
I agree. Probably quality wise, Darling and Highland both are a notch above Coventry. Just depends on preferences and wants. Coventry builds a good product, but Darling and Highland both are reputable for their quality, but at a higher price point.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 7,177 times
Hi, i am thinking about buying a home in the riverside village. do you guys know what's the status on the terraces at las colinas. Thank you

Old 07-28-2009, 07:16 AM

108 posts, read 487,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxl6428 View Post
Hi, i am thinking about buying a home in the riverside village. do you guys know what's the status on the terraces at las colinas. Thank you
Planning is under way for the Terraces of Las Colinas.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
Anyone buying in Riverside needs to be someone who isn't annoyed by constant gunfire from mid morning til late evening every day of the week. There is an outdoor firing range about 1/2 mile away that can get VERY noisy especially when the weather is nice and someone is sighting a scope on a high powered rifle.

If you think it may be a concern, just wait until the weather is really nice and stop by on a Friday afternoon or Saturday and sit outside and listen.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 PM

72 posts, read 216,336 times
good point. i didn't think about this. my friend just had gunfire the other day there with his VP.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:50 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
Yeah, I live in the urban center which is slightly further away and a little more shielded from the gunfire sounds, but it can still get a bit noisy some days.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,073 times
wow.......... i have been looking at the Darling homes in Riverside and I am so glad I came across this info. on the target range! wow!!!!!! I just may stay up here in Allen. Thank you for the info. wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: