Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 12,459 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating soon and may only be in the area for a couple of years, so I plan on leasing a home rather than buying. I've noticed that there are a lot of houses, townhouses, and apartments out there that show electric as the heat source. I live in the Northeast and electric heat is not the norm at all with the cold winters.
Does anyone out there have any experience with electric heat and the costs associated with it in your climate? I understand that electric rates are extremely high in the Dallas area and I should be prepared for high bills in the summer, but what can I expect in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 08:34 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Most are gas heat here in the Dallas area. I've never had electric heat except in one house the builder had a "brother in law" agreement w/ an electric company and they installed heat pumps so you could use either gas or electric. Those few that I know did use elec always had much higher elec bills than we did on gas when it came to heating. Gas is MUCH more efficient. Your typical home in Dallas is going to have gas for heat and water. When it comes to cooking I prefer gas but some homes only have electric depending on when it was built and the price market it was targeted at. Gas is more desirable when it comes to stove tops.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:28 PM

71 posts, read 343,981 times
Older homes and apartments tend to have electric heat. If you are renting an apartment or townhome chances are it is smaller than a single family home and better insulated (shared walls).
Winters? What winters?

Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Default Electric heat

We lived in 2 homes, one in Dallas and one in Plano that had electric heat. I agree that gas is probably more economical but it was never so high that it was a problem. It was reasonable. Of course, those 2 houses were small.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
A large percentage of townhomes and condos have electric heat, I owned one for years (and had a single family home with a heat pump which is electric heat). Electricity is high in Texas so it can be somewhat higher to heat that way. In my experience the heating bill is the same as AC with lower bills in the spring and fall. Don't be too swayed by those that insist on gas, you can live in an all-electric home without a huge differential in cost.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:31 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
My house is totally electric. I live out in the country and because natural gas is not an option, I would not buy a house that uses propane. It is just too dangerous in my estimation.

I'm frugal when it comes to heating and A/C so really, my electric bills aren't "through the roof" like some who insist the setting be on 72 degrees all year long or even set higher in the winter.

I love an all electric home and would never have anything different even if natural gas were available. My home is not that big, about 1,500 square feet, and so far my highest bill this winter was only $130.00 but the rest were quite a bit lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas