Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:02 PM

35 posts, read 219,352 times

Advertisements

One of my co-workers asked me this question, and I really could not say what I thought was a great amount. Knowing how good the City-Data Forums are at these kinds of questions,I turn here asking you, what income would be needed for a family of 4 to live comfortably in the Dallas area?

How well off would a family of 4 who combined makes just a little over $100k a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:39 PM

583 posts, read 2,635,761 times
I would say on that income you could get.....................
A lovely home, 2 cars(reasonable cars), extra activities for kids, some savings (more if you only had 1 car pymt), eating out 1 a week, and week long family vacation for 4 (beach/lake). Now that is not buying a 400k house with 2 BMW's and designer duds on the kids. Think more Old Navy vs. Ambercrombie.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM

506 posts, read 2,151,309 times
It depends on how old the kids are. If they're young and both parents work, one would have day care expenses and that's expensive. One parent staying home would eliminate that type of expense thereby freeing up additional money per year, however. One certainly wouldn't starve with that type of income but it wouldn't buy luxuries.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,483,713 times
What kind of debt do you bring with you - student loans? Cars? Credit Cards? What kind of expenses - dependent health care coverage cost, child care? How much were you going to spend on housing?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:11 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,269,654 times
I would say if both parents worked, elementary age kids, still be able to put some money aside, enjoy life, spend no more than 250K on a house, assuming your DTI is low. That should be a very comfortable backet to stay within.

A better picture can be painted once a full loan application is done to give better advice so you don't end up in the wrong loan program or over extend yourself.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:49 PM

164 posts, read 792,899 times
200k a year should do it.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,658,821 times
It depends on what their standards are.. not everyone has the same. What are the things your friend likes to do? Does your friends like to put the kids in extra curricular activities such as sports, dance, piano?

Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,517,909 times
No debt, no car payments, one parent stays home and a small mortgage and comfort starts at about 120,000 a year.
You have any of the above and two working parents comfort and quality of life doesn't start until close to 200,000.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 PM

150 posts, read 858,381 times
I can see where scyogi could be on the right track.

Comfort and quality of life differ from person to person for sure. I have come to realize that for my family, gradually giving up that golf course home, the pool, the new cars and lavish vacations actually improved our quality of life.

For us, our perspective changed when I quit work almost 5 years ago to volunteer with the homeless and (in the politically correct term) disenfranchised. With one teen still at home, we sold our house along with most of the furniture and moved into a 900 sq ft apartment. Although I worked on and off at times during those 5 years, we learned to live on 47% of what we used to. It wasn't too difficult until a family crisis resulted in the sudden use of our liquid "emergency savings"( approx 3 months living expenses) and the need for more. We were lucky enough to have the ability to take out a small loan on my husbands 401k.

My "sabbatical" ended about 4 months ago. Our crisis was over, we were just paying off the loan and once again putting money away in savings when I returned to work. Although our combined income is above what it was when I quit work 5 years ago, we decided to continue to live frugually. We give more than 10% of our income to church and social service agencies and save agressively for retirement. We recently bought a modest house ($125K) and a few new pieces of furniture (well some came from Craigslist). I don't think we want to return to our previous living level which I now see was far more than comfortable. I have a much greater appreciation for the ability to walk into any Wal-Mart store and purchase the 12 pack of Charmin rather than the 6 pkg of store brand. But I also understand I don't need the Charmin brand, afterall, both brands are used for the same thing and get the job done. I prefer Charmin and can afford it but I wouldn't have a hard time giving it up if I needed to. It's all a matter of your priorities and what you feel you have to have to live "comfortable".

Old 01-17-2008, 07:56 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,813,342 times
McKinneyDeb,

That is by far the most informative and educational post I've read on here in a very long while!

It take more courage and wisdom and strength to downsize and get one's priorities straight than most will ever be capable of mustering in their entire lifetimes!

I applaud you! You have surely "gotten it right"!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-17-2008 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: correcting my spelling ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas