Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 01:36 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,919,688 times

Advertisements

Some friends and I have been having a disagreement about which parts of Texas are southern or western in culture. However none of us have lived there so I ask all of you, which section of the country do texans in your area identify with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 09:54 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,420,554 times
DFW is mostly plains. It feels western once you hit Fort Worth (on west).

Old 04-08-2007, 08:16 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,436,432 times
Plains for sure (Arid except for 2 hours before or after a rain squal)

Austin/San Antonio and Houston = Coastal Plains (much more humid and green)

El Paso = Feels more like New Mexico or CA than TX (Mountains!)

As for Fort Worth, it sits up against that really flat open area to the west and it appears to take on alot more harsh weather that comes in off that area than does DFW. In a way, it's a nice little shield for us out here.

Wait, I just realized my post had nothing to do with your question. Anyway. If you want Western, Fort Worth is much more Western (in a cool way, not hillbilly like many think).

If I never heard anyone take here, I'd say most of DFW reminds me of the nicer parts of Socal (minus the terrain and architecture of homes) - very educated, cosmopolitan and suburban. This blows everyone away that comes out to visit me from CA. This area is not at all how it is painted out west on the coast.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:18 AM

29 posts, read 135,593 times
Someone said that Dallas is the westermnost eastern city in the country and that Ft. Worth is the easternmost western city. My experiences in the Metroplex pretty much confirm that. There ain't no stockyards or Billy Bob's in Dallas.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:22 AM

Ewww. They identified Dallas with the East. I'd have to disagree.

Dallas is more midwestern with some of the better parts of a southern lifestyle built in. It's really its own entity and doesn't fit well in the East vs West vs Midwestern comparisons.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:15 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,579,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Plains for sure (Arid except for 2 hours before or after a rain squal)

Austin/San Antonio and Houston = Coastal Plains (much more humid and green)

El Paso = Feels more like New Mexico or CA than TX (Mountains!)

As for Fort Worth, it sits up against that really flat open area to the west and it appears to take on alot more harsh weather that comes in off that area than does DFW. In a way, it's a nice little shield for us out here.

Wait, I just realized my post had nothing to do with your question. Anyway. If you want Western, Fort Worth is much more Western (in a cool way, not hillbilly like many think).

If I never heard anyone take here, I'd say most of DFW reminds me of the nicer parts of Socal (minus the terrain and architecture of homes) - very educated, cosmopolitan and suburban. This blows everyone away that comes out to visit me from CA. This area is not at all how it is painted out west on the coast.
Well, actually Austin is not the coastal plains. It's too high up. And I would have to say that Dallas is not the westernmost eastern city. San Antonio is. It's much greener, and several cultures within the city are under the the southeastern influence.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Your probably technically correct. Austin feels alot more like the coastal plains to me, but I'm pretty new to TX.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,149,064 times
If you'll read the intro data (available at http://www.garreau.com/main.cfm?action=book&id=3) to Joel Garreau's book the Nine Nations of North America, you'll find he defined Dallas as the western most city in Dixie, with Fort Worth being the eastern edge of the West. Of course like any border region there are times when the cities have been more inflenced by one region over another.

Before I read Garreau's book, I defined Dallas as a crossroads between the South and SouthWest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas