Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:02 PM

62 posts, read 201,916 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a home in the Houston area. I checked Dallas area, but found it to be a bit more expensive. Did see some nicer, less expensive home in the Dennison area. Have no ideas about it. Does anyone know what that area is like? Just curious...... Still looking in Houston. Came close, but house had foundational problems. Can't give up as this is my last choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 01:37 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
Are you referring to a part of Houston called Dennison? Or are you referring to the city of Denison up on the Oklahoma border? They are two different worlds, by the way!

Old 05-09-2008, 02:07 PM

Default The Denison that is just above Sherman north of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Are you referring to a part of Houston called Dennison? Or are you referring to the city of Denison up on the Oklahoma border? They are two different worlds, by the way!
Yes I see now where exactly it is.... So what world is it in?

Old 05-09-2008, 06:13 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Dension is a smaller town near Lake Texoma and right on the border of Oklahoma where you can go gamble. It's too far to commute to Dallas for work. It's right next to Sherman and so the area is often called Sherman-Denison. Sherman is the county seat. They are their own TV market (along with Ardmore and Durant, OK) so it's really not considered part of the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. There is new retail in Sherman-Denison. Sometimes when people work in Sherman-Denison they live in one of the smaller towns surrounding it because they think the schools are better. Management types often live in McKinney and commute to Sherman. On Denison's main street there are art galleries and junk stores that are fun to go to.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:37 PM

The main draw to Denison is Lake Texoma.....one of the largest man-made lakes in the US....great fishing, boating. The area is small hills, lots of big trees, reasonably priced housing, a good hospital, a junior college, mostly middle to lower middle income people. Well over half the people in the county live outside the city limits in the small towns or rural area.....lots of homes on small acreages - people with a couple of horses, gardens, etc. Most of the really nice homes are in the rural areas, in fact. The schools in the smaller towns in the county are indeed better than the Denison schools....not just an opinion, you can check the state reports. There are four seasons, summers are hot and a little humid, winters are cold but seldom get much snow. Although FarNorthDallas stated it is 'too far' to commute to Dallas, many people in Denison/Sherman commute to McKinney/Allen/Plano (Dallas suburbs - lots of jobs there, better pay).

Old 05-10-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Dension is a smaller town near Lake Texoma and right on the border of Oklahoma where you can go gamble. It's too far to commute to Dallas for work. It's right next to Sherman and so the area is often called Sherman-Denison. Sherman is the county seat. They are their own TV market (along with Ardmore and Durant, OK) so it's really not considered part of the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. There is new retail in Sherman-Denison. Sometimes when people work in Sherman-Denison they live in one of the smaller towns surrounding it because they think the schools are better. Management types often live in McKinney and commute to Sherman. On Denison's main street there are art galleries and junk stores that are fun to go to.
I took a good look on the map and see exactly where it is. That lake is HUGE partly in Oklahoma and partly in Texas. I see the proximity to Sherman as well. The house I saw was in what seemed to be a less populated area about two blocks or so north of Waterloo park. It sounds like a nice place and not terribly remote.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
The main draw to Denison is Lake Texoma.....one of the largest man-made lakes in the US....great fishing, boating. The area is small hills, lots of big trees, reasonably priced housing, a good hospital, a junior college, mostly middle to lower middle income people. Well over half the people in the county live outside the city limits in the small towns or rural area.....lots of homes on small acreages - people with a couple of horses, gardens, etc. Most of the really nice homes are in the rural areas, in fact. The schools in the smaller towns in the county are indeed better than the Denison schools....not just an opinion, you can check the state reports. There are four seasons, summers are hot and a little humid, winters are cold but seldom get much snow. Although FarNorthDallas stated it is 'too far' to commute to Dallas, many people in Denison/Sherman commute to McKinney/Allen/Plano (Dallas suburbs - lots of jobs there, better pay).

I found it on the map and see Lake Texoma. It's unbelievably huge. The area looks nice on the map and sounds pretty cools too. It's interesting that there are schools in the smaller towns as well. The seasons are a plus. Don't like it too cold but seasons are a break.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:24 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Yeah, Lake Texoma is a great great lake and I've always heard it described as the largest man made lake in the south or something like that. It was built in the 1940s. The Corp of Engineers own the lakeshore so there are no houses right on the water, but you can get within walking distance. You can get a permit to have a private boat house and there are marinas where you can rent a slot or rent a boat or jetski. Some of the marinas have restaurants and bars. The lake has some beachy islands that are fun to hang out at. There are some state parks - Eisenhower is one. President Eisenhower was born in Denison. You can go to his birthplace in Dension - an old house. It's a museum.

There is Tanglewood Country Club on Lake Texoma where you can play golf, swim, or rent a room. It's on the Texas side near Highport Marina. Denison also has a country club.

Last summer the water level got so high on Lake Texoma that they had to release water and water went over the spill way near the dam. It was all very exciting.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM

Waterloo neighborhood is very nice.......most of the homes are probably 25+ years old, well built, large lots, huge trees and nice landscaping. The park itself is nice, the little lake has good fish, and there is an indoor year-round pool with water aerobics classes, etc.

There are people who live in Denison/Sherman but prefer to send their children to school in a county school.....smaller classes, more one/one attention, safer environment.....usually not a tuition. Pottsboro is a good school district, the town has lots of new homes; Bells school district is a good school, not a lot of houses available in town but a number in the country.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,310 times
I have lived in the Sherman/Denison area my whole life. Denison is not a very nice town to live in. The only nice part of Denison is the Waterloo area just like GayleTX stated...I would look in the smaller towns, such as Tom Bean, Bells, Howe, Van Alstyne, or even Pottsboro!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: