Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,149,995 times

Advertisements

I heard this story on my commute this morning. Drug arrests related to the drug combination, called "Cheese" has nearly doubled since last year, with 122 arrests through February. So far the issue is most pervasive in Dallas ISD, but it has also turned up in Irving, Farmers Branch, Mesquite and Garland.

School administrators in Fort Worth, Houston, Austin and San Antonio have not found this combination drug at their schools, and a DEA agent in the Dallas office states that "This is the only place this is occurring."

The average user is a 14 year old Hispanic male, and the youngest dealer caught so far was 11. Withdrawl symptoms are servere and can occur after on a few hits.

The campuses with the biggest problems are Cary and Marsh middle schools and North Dallas, Thomas Jefferson and W.T. White high schools. They do have licensed dependancy counselors on staff.

See http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/040807dnmetcheese.39c5f2e.html (broken link) for the full story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,429,846 times
I have been seeing the reports of this heroin-tylenol PM combination called "Cheese" after a 11 yr old died from it in Dallas. They said that it was really very cheap a few dollars to buy it on the news.

Something else that we need to be aware of as parents.

Thanks GoPadge!

Old 04-09-2007, 11:53 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,906,786 times
I heard about it last fall right after school started. I asked several principals and asst. principals that I knew and they told me then that it had not been seen yet here. But they knew about it and were keeping a watchful eye out for it. With the recent deaths the schools have been having some parent resource meetings. Most of the schools that have been seeing the problem have a heavy concentration of hispanic students. It seems to be prevelant in that community for some reason. The low cost is probably one thing but from what I"ve read it is something that they think one dealer came up w/ to give to younger kids and it has spread from there as it is small enough they can sneak it into schools. Now is when I bet some of those parents were wishing they had stopped being so hard on the schools for being strict. They are going to pay the price now sadly.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:34 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,438,164 times
Heroin and what ? They have to be stepping on the heroin with something if it only cost a few bucks to get high.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,906,786 times
Black tar herion and Tylenol. They crumble it up together. The latest was putting it in Pixy Stix (the powdered candy) as they could fool some w/ it that way. It is like $2 a hit from what I've heard and read.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:42 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,438,164 times
$2 a hit must mean there is very little heroin in it and alot of sugar/aspirin.

Kids get high off this garbage ? So are they turning it into a rock and smoking it, or shooting it up ?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:59 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,149,995 times
More commonly it's mixed with some form of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine hydrochloride). The other big issue is that there's no established mixing protocol, the local teens mix it themselves and sell it to support their own habits. The heroin content seen so far runs from 3% to 8%, and the dosage an individual is use to, can make a big difference. If you're use to a 3% mix and you wind up with an 8% cut, you're most likely going to the ER or the Morgue.

Useage stats break down to an average age of 14, where 80 percent are male, and 98 percent are Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas