Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 PM

34 posts, read 128,738 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We recently moved to dallas from NY....My wife is working in Downtown Methodist Hospital.We have a 18 months old baby too. Can some one suggest what is a best place to buy a house in terms of schooling & money.We r looking for a house btw 250-300 range. Thanx in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:06 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
I would suggest North Dallas proper--there are a lot of houses for sale right now in that range that would not have been so cheap even a year ago. You can get a lot of bang for your buck. The public schools aren't very good, though, so you'd probably send your kids to private school, which adds to the cost. There may be some homes in the Lakewood/East Dallas that go for that price range. It's a very nice neighborhood, and very close to downtown. The public schools are pretty good at the elementary level, not so much for middle and high school.

You also might want to look at Richardson, Garland, central Plano (a bit farther north), and maybe Sunnyvale. You also could look in North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts District, which would also require private schools.

When you say "Downtown Methodist," do you mean Methodist in Oak Cliff at Beckley and Colorado? As far as I know there isn't a Methodist branch downtown.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 PM

[require private schools.
When you say "Downtown Methodist," do you mean Methodist in Oak Cliff at Beckley and Colorado? As far as I know there isn't a Methodist branch downtown.[/quote]

Yes...thats the one,how is the schools in garland,mesquite area?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 PM

108 posts, read 487,847 times
Please check your message. I just sent you a DM.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:48 PM

6,828 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Both Garland and Mesquite are older surburbs. They are pretty much blue collar towns with some nicer neighborhoods. I live in Mesquite and the vast majority of the homes here in the surburban neighborhoods are in the 110k-200k price range which would be below your price range. If I were you I would be looking at the northern burbs, North Garland and maybe Rockwall. Could you give a little more information on what type neighborhood your looking for. What kind of commute are you willing to endure. There are some lovely older neighborhoods in North Oak Cliff that would be very close to the hospital. What kind of vibe are you looking for.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Look south - Red Oak, Ovilla, Mansfield, Midlothian, Waxahachie.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumith007 View Post
Hi all,
We recently moved to dallas from NY....My wife is working in Downtown Methodist Hospital.We have a 18 months old baby too. Can some one suggest what is a best place to buy a house in terms of schooling & money.We r looking for a house btw 250-300 range. Thanx in advance.
Look into Frisco. It is a very family-oriented area with a lot of families with kids around the same age as yours. You will also find a lot of people from NY here as well (and I am one of them!). For $250-300K, you can get a really nice, new house and the schools are great. The commute for your wife would be about 35 minutes. May be even less or a little more depending on what her hours are.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:57 AM

109 posts, read 398,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
Look into Frisco. It is a very family-oriented area with a lot of families with kids around the same age as yours. You will also find a lot of people from NY here as well (and I am one of them!). For $250-300K, you can get a really nice, new house and the schools are great. The commute for your wife would be about 35 minutes. May be even less or a little more depending on what her hours are.
I find it hard to believe that you could get from Frisco to Methodist in 35 minutes. Mapquest shows a 40 minute travel time and that is with no traffic. If the commute is anywhere near rush hour, there will be significant traffic on the North Tollway, which brings up my next point. You will most likely be taking a toll road to and from work every day. Even if you get a toll tag, you will be paying 4 or 5 bucks every day just driving to work. Maybe coming from NY, this won't seem like a problem for you, but I wouldn't live in Frisco if I worked in down town Dallas.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:07 AM

109 posts, read 398,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Both Garland and Mesquite are older surburbs. They are pretty much blue collar towns with some nicer neighborhoods. I live in Mesquite and the vast majority of the homes here in the surburban neighborhoods are in the 110k-200k price range which would be below your price range. If I were you I would be looking at the northern burbs, North Garland and maybe Rockwall. Could you give a little more information on what type neighborhood your looking for. What kind of commute are you willing to endure. There are some lovely older neighborhoods in North Oak Cliff that would be very close to the hospital. What kind of vibe are you looking for.
I pretty-much agree with this. You could find houses for $250 in Mesquite and Garland (especially the nicer areas of Garland), but not many. The schools are adequate in both cities. Sunnyvale is also a little town right near Mesquite where houses are more in line with the $250 - $300 range. And, from what I hear, they have a good school system. It might be worth a look. Commuting to Dallas is pretty quick and easy from the Mesquite/Sunnvale area as well.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 AM

Thank u all 4 ur valuable comments...i think i will be start looking somewhere in garland,mesquite area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas