Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 10,559 times

Advertisements

I want to relocate from Southern California to Dallas. I did a comparison search on ziprealty and found Lake Dallas.

I want to ask is Lake Dallas a good place to live? I've 2 small children.
Is it a suburn area?
Price of home?
neigborhood?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyamy View Post
I want to relocate from Southern California to Dallas. I did a comparison search on ziprealty and found Lake Dallas.

I want to ask is Lake Dallas a good place to live? I've 2 small children.
Is it a suburn area?
Price of home?
neigborhood?

Thanks.
Lake Dallas used to be a very small rural community on the north side of the lake (Lake Dallas to us oldtimers and Lewisville Lake for all the newbie's). Everything has grown so much that from Carrollton all the way to Denton on I35 you go from city to city (Carrollton, Lewisville, Shady Shores, Hickory Creek, Lake Dallas, Corinth, Denton). There is still some very rural areas out there with Corinth being the most built up of all the small communities (Carrollton and Lewisville are VERY suburban and not rural at all and pretty much built out). The rest still have more rural and acreage but are pretty small. If you know anything about the old wrestlers the Von Erich family was from Shady Shores and Lake Dallas. The one son still living lives out there on a farm w/ his family. Yes it is a nice place to raise a family and experience a more laid back lifestyle but still be close to the city but not IN it. You will have to travel to Lewisville, Denton or farther south to get to just about anything big. Traffic on Stemmons/Interstate 35 can be VERY congested. In the areas that have not been developed and still retain a lot of rural feel don't be surprised to see older mobile homes and smaller houses that have not been kept up w/ the times.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the reply.

What city do you recommend in raising a family within Dallas, TX?

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:26 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,147,868 times
There are plenty of choices, but where you work, how long of a commute you're willing to live with and how much you're willing to spend typically are going to clash against your preferences for urban / suburban / rural settings, home prices and lot sizes. If you can fill in a couple of the blanks, we can offer better suggestions.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
There are MANY places that are good for a family. It would depend on where you would be working and how long of a commute you want? Price range? Regular city lot or acreage? New or existing home? What interests you and the family have and if you want to be close by those areas?

Old 04-14-2007, 09:02 PM

Will be working in Dallas, willing to commute 30 minutes.
Existing single family home with yard.
Price range will be less than 300,000.
Interested in good school districts.
Good neigborhood with no discrimination.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas