Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2007, 01:31 AM

3 posts, read 8,459 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be moving soon to Dallas to do a postdoc at UT Southwestern. I am looking for a place with a nice elementary school (one 7 years old SHY girl) but that is not going to be too expensive (renting). I thought about Coppell or Carrollton before but now I am getting scared with all the talk about trafic. Would someone have suggestions?

ANd, how hard is to find houses for rent? I read about communities but not about single family houses

Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Default Where to live

It shouldn't be difficult for you to find a house to rent. This would involve a commute but that may be a trade-off you are going to have to make if you want good school system, safe etc. AND affordable. Maybe some other people will have some other suggestions which would meet your criteria, but the place that comes to my mind for you to check out would be Richardson, Tx. Would be family-friendly, decent school system,affordable, low crime rate etc. (Maybe I'm wrong but Coppell seems too far out for you. I don't personally know much about Carrollton, but some people that have posted on this forum have said Carrollton has kind of gone down and they didn't really recommend living there anymore.) Wishing you the best in your move-

Last edited by kaykay; 04-16-2007 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I would look in the Stonewall Jackson Elementary attendance zone in the MStreet area of Dallas. You will find some small apartment complexes, cottages, duplexes and four-plexes to rent...but the majority of the students are from the charming but now quite expensive Tudor homes. However, the school is small and there is a good mix. Also there is a program for deaf students there so everyone learns sign language.

Look at the dallasnews.com and craigslist classifieds for Lakewood or East Dallas.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:44 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,816 times
Valley Ranch Area in Irving (located off 635 and MacArthur near Las Colinas) is also an area to consider. Carrollton schools and Coppell schools cover this area. Both school systems are highly respected.

Carrollton is nice if you get into the northern areas that are on the borders of Lewisville and Plano. Schools are great in the northern areas especially. Carrollton and Lewisville are both located off I35 and Plano is located close to Dallas North Tollway system.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Thank you

Thank you all! I will take a look at all your suggestions.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 AM

149 posts, read 567,884 times
My husband just took a job on at UT Southwestern and will be starting soon. We have narrowed our search to Coppell. We have 4 small kids and it was super important to be in a good school district (I am a former 1st grade teacher and super neurotic when it comes to schools). The schools in Coppell are top notch. We have several friends who live there and they also like the small town atmosphere Coppell has to offer. One thing to consider is Coppell is bordered by three major highways so there are lots of options to getting down to the medical center. Several of the doctors my husband will be working with live in Las Colinas (most of their kids grown), a few in Coppell and some even as far out as Southlake and Keller. Overall when we asked where we thought would be a great place to live Coppell came back as not too bad commute and great schools, great community. Another of his associates is in Plano. They love it there, but even though he is physically closer to the med center he said he can sit in traffic 45 minutes some days (not sure how typical that is). Anyway good luck on your search.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Stonewall Jackson x Lakewood

Both schools look very interesting but I was wondering... At Lakewood you can get a spot because you live in the area. Is that the same for Stonewall? When I Move to the attendance zone I garanty a place for my child there as well?

Thank you all for the answers so far

Old 05-07-2007, 01:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Yep no problem getting into Stonewall if you live in the district. The wait lists are for transfers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas