Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 05:00 AM

6 posts, read 15,818 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are moving to Dallas mid-August and planning to rent for a year or so til we get our bearings, but in the meantime we have narrowed our search to houses sending kids to either Lakewood Elementary or Stonewall Jackson Elementary. I was hoping for some information about the differences between the two schools. Our 10 year old son (going into 5th grade) has attended a small, liberal Montessori influenced private school in Ohio. I have gotten the impression from some of the threads that Lakewood is pretty intensely "by the book"? Is Stonewall Jackson less so? Are there other differences in the school cultures? Does one spend more time/energy on testing?
Is transferring from one to the other do-able? One house we are especially interested in is on the (Lakewood) corner of Abrams.

thanks so much--this is a fantastic forum!

Robin

Last edited by rbtcm11; 07-02-2009 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
I would say Stonewall is more what you may be used to - I went to Lakewood so I know it better. I don't know too much about the current testing but I have heard that Lakewood spends more time on it - not sure if that is true. Stonewall also has the deaf education classes, some international focus and gardening project which add a few layers that Lakewood does not have. Lakewood might be a bit better for art and music and definitely better for math.

Stonewall is smaller and draws from more of a middle to-upper middle class base, whereas Lakewood has those but also has some very rich old and new money folks. Lakewood is very much like a small town and very family oriented, whereas there may be more singles, singles with kids and childless couples in the Stonewall district.

In Lakewood you may feel like you are more a member of a club - this is good and bad, but I would say the good outweighs the bad. Most of the Lakewood kids go all through school together and many times on to the same colleges. They are very tight.

Please go to the parade Saturday if at all possible - lakewoodparade.com -- it will give you very good look.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
I thought Stonewall lost the gardening project to budget cuts.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:53 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,595,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I thought Stonewall lost the gardening project to budget cuts.
I was under the impression that happened as well--I thought that the teacher moved on to St. Mark's where they were willing to pay him for his talents rather than forcing him to teach classroom science only.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,995 times
I'm a parent at Stonewall and I can tell you for a fact that the school still has its science garden and it is thriving. I don't know about Lakewood but Stonewall has an extraordinarily dynamic PTA, which incidentally worked to ensure the garden teacher was retained. Many of my child's science classes take place in the garden and we even get to eat organic produce planted by the kids at the end of the school year.

Addressing an earlier answer, I don't get the sense that Stonewall's math program is in any way inferior. I come from a country whose students consistently come out first or second in international math and science tests, so I always check my child's work against that country's math and science curriculum. It is absolutely comparable.

Stonewall has other challenges. The school facilities are a little run down (though they did some sprucing up this past summer) and many classes are held in so-called 'portables.' They don't have a lot of computers. Teachers are fantastic but the administration is not always responsive to the needs of individual students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: