Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times

Advertisements

Population stats are meaningless

Urban regions are more defined by relative economic power: HQs of valuable (by stock market) companies, major financial firms, etc

Dallas dwarfs SD...Exxon, ATT, various noted hedge funds (more so in Ft Worth) vs SD's only relevant co.: Qualcomm

And given Dallas' low-tax, pro-business ethos, likely that more major cos. (and hedge funds) will move HQs to Dallas region over next 5-10 yrs

Suspect Dallas already has more valuable co. HQs than entire LA region (incl Amgen up in 1000 Oaks down to Broadcom in Irvine)

BTW, easy drive from SD to LAX at many hrs of day; would often leave business mtgs in SD and drive to LAX to catch flts back to NYC (more flts and bigger birds; and would often fly from NYC to LAX to reach mtgs in SD region)....IIRC, rather easy ~90min drive (5N-73N-405N) w/much at 75MPH cruise as one is on Bluetooth trying to catch up on business calls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 02:58 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
San Diego clearly has much better weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
Dallas........1,279,910
San Diego...1,279,329

A difference of only 581. It doesn't get much closer than that!

Old 07-02-2009, 03:06 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
BTW, easy drive from SD to LAX at many hrs of day; would often leave business mtgs in SD and drive to LAX to catch flts back to NYC (more flts and bigger birds; and would often fly from NYC to LAX to reach mtgs in SD region)....IIRC, rather easy ~90min drive (5N-73N-405N) w/much at 75MPH cruise as one is on Bluetooth trying to catch up on business calls

Yeah, at 3 in the morning on a Sunday! It's not too bad until you get to the El Toro Y, but it gets particularly bad once you get past the Harbor Freeway up to the 105/Century Blvd area off I-405. The 73 Tollway saves some time, but only if the congestion is really severe at the El Toro Y.

Last edited by grindin; 07-02-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
1. send that to the Supreme Court, and they'll tell you SD's bigger.

2. the article is not talking about DFW, it is talking about Dallas.(not Ft. Worth) the word "DFW" is mentioned nowhere.

Yeah, I think we can all read here. We were talking about the city limits themselves, but both cities are a part of larger metro areas.

No one is disputing that DFW Metro is bigger than SD Metro. Zip your pants up now...

Old 07-02-2009, 03:27 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
I can remember when Dallas and Philly battled for the number 5 position. Now San Antonio has overtaken us. I'm not complaining but know one would have believed that 20 years ago.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I can remember when Dallas and Philly battled for the number 5 position. Now San Antonio has overtaken us. I'm not complaining but know one would have believed that 20 years ago.
Yep, so true. I remember when SD was the 6th largest city. Phoenix and SA grew faster than SD. I never would've though I'd see the day! Haven't SD and Dallas have been pretty similar in population and sq mileage for awhile now?

Old 07-02-2009, 04:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
By D/FW definitions it is.

The distance between San Diego and Southern L.A. is roughly 70 miles. The Dallas census counts towns which are further than 70 miles from Dallas as being part of the "metro" area.

Examples, distance from Dallas:

Greenville: 70 miles.

Decatur: 68 miles.

Bridgeport: 78 miles.

Sherman: 65 miles.

And so on. By D/FW standards L.A. and San Diego and every city in between and surrounding the two are one big metro area. In that case they would still be bigger than the D/FW metro area.

However, I would not agree that the L.A. and San Diego metro areas are one anymore than I agree with Dallas including extreme outlying counties as being part of theirs. I have said it before, the 6 to 7 million population figure for D/FW is bloated. Add up how big the population of SoCal would be if they did the same thing. Heck, they could even include Tijuana in there if they really wanted to.
What you are looking at is the CSA. The CSA is at 6.5 million. The MSA is at 6.3 million and there are not many cities that are more than 40 miles away from Dallas when you look at the MSA definition. In fact, I don't think there are any unless you want to talk about far Northern Denton and Collin county or far Southern Ellis and Johnson county.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:03 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
Dallas........1,279,910
San Diego...1,279,329

A difference of only 581. It doesn't get much closer than that!
They are neck in neck in land area square miles as well, Dallas leading by only 18 square miles. My thoughts are both cities have too many people.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Yeah, I think we can all read here. We were talking about the city limits themselves, but both cities are a part of larger metro areas.

No one is disputing that DFW Metro is bigger than SD Metro. Zip your pants up now...
Why does anyone think that the size of a city government has any meaning? Perhaps the San Diego and Dallas city governments would deliver better services if they were broken up into smaller units?

A metro area would support the same number of restaurants and amount of night life and job opportunities whether it was divided into 100 city governments or amassed into just one big government.

Last edited by aceplace; 07-03-2009 at 09:50 AM..

Old 07-03-2009, 09:44 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What you are looking at is the CSA. The CSA is at 6.5 million. The MSA is at 6.3 million and there are not many cities that are more than 40 miles away from Dallas when you look at the MSA definition. In fact, I don't think there are any unless you want to talk about far Northern Denton and Collin county or far Southern Ellis and Johnson county.
Good point, Spade.

A CSA is not relevant toward defining a functional city because its outer edges are too far from the center for easy commutes, either for work or pleasure. The real city is defined by an MSA, whereas a CSA is a cluster of separate cities, i.e., a cluster of seperate MSAs, with little commuting between them.

Within an MSA, every county is commutable. In fact, a county is added to an MSA only if 25% or more of its people commute to the MSA. Very few people live in San Diego and commute every day to work in downtown Los Angeles. On the other hand, about 30% of the Tarrant county (Arlington, Fort Worth) work force commutes for work in Dallas county.

Last edited by aceplace; 07-03-2009 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas