Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 03:08 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,496,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
To be honest with you, I don't know. The only time I've ever heard it was on the commercial for the Tyler Gun and Knife Show. I've never known anyone that actually said it nor read it anywhere until now.
The phrase is 'sure as shootin', which means absolutely certain or sure of something. I'm surprised you haven't heard the phrase more often than just the one time you remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 PM

1,781 posts, read 4,042,545 times
Quote:
Plus it was warmer than "71 to 73". I had the thing set to 70 and it actually came on occasionally.
Seriously, why do you live in one of the southernmost states in the US, and expect the winter to be cold, with day temperatures in the 20s-30s as the norm? All the states from Maine to Washington offer colder winters (and summers). Leave Texas to those people who like a warmer climate in general . The US is not an arctic country like Norway or Russia.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Seriously, why do you live in one of the southernmost states in the US, and expect the winter to be cold, with day temperatures in the 20s-30s as the norm? All the states from Maine to Washington offer colder winters (and summers). Leave Texas to those people who like a warmer climate in general . The US is not an arctic country like Norway or Russia.
I've lived here for all my life and I can assure you, daytime highs in the 70s in January and February are less common than 30s. This isn't Minnesota but it's not Hawaii either. The thing that bothers me the most isn't that we're not getting much of a winter this year; it's that this heat wave may continue into next summer and we may be getting a repeat of last summer. I really don't enjoy being stuck inside for several months at a time.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I've lived here for all my life and I can assure you, daytime highs in the 70s in January and February are less common than 30s. This isn't Minnesota but it's not Hawaii either. The thing that bothers me the most isn't that we're not getting much of a winter this year; it's that this heat wave may continue into next summer and we may be getting a repeat of last summer. I really don't enjoy being stuck inside for several months at a time.
Why would you stay inside for several months? Why wouldn't you do what other healthy adults and children do during the summer - get outside and enjoy yourself. Golf, tennis, bicycle, jog, swim, fish, etc., etc., etc.

There's absolutely no doubt that you are [let's just say] a little different. I'll bet you are single, and have no children, or girlfriend. Right? Because a wife, children or girlfriend would drag your butt outside in the summer.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Why would you stay inside for several months? Why wouldn't you do what other healthy adults and children do during the summer - get outside and enjoy yourself. Golf, tennis, bicycle, jog, swim, fish, etc., etc., etc.

There's absolutely no doubt that you are [let's just say] a little different. I'll bet you are single, and have no children, or girlfriend. Right? Because a wife, children or girlfriend would drag your butt outside in the summer.
I think it's already been well-established that you're as much or more "different" than I am. Anyone that desires 110 temperatures in the summer and 75 in the winter isn't really into the North Texas climate. Why can't you go out and enjoy the cold weather like healthy people? A wife or children would have you outside making a snowman or snowboarding.
Attached Thumbnails
It's HOT! It's COLD! It's WINDY! It's DRY! It's WET! It's OUR Weather!-100_3205.jpg  

Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I think it's already been well-established that you're as much or more "different" than I am. Anyone that desires 110 temperatures in the summer and 75 in the winter isn't really into the North Texas climate. Why can't you go out and enjoy the cold weather like healthy people? A wife or children would have you outside making a snowman or snowboarding.
Hahaha! Let's just say that you are [purposely] misconstruing my feelings about summer temperatures. Just to make it clear for you (for the umpteeth time) I do not mind 100+ summer temperatures. Likewise I prefer a warm winter - 75 degrees in the winter will do just fine. However, unlike you staying inside for three months in the summer, you will not find me staying inside during the winter or the summer.

For your information, I've been on hunting trips where I slept under the stars in a sleeping bag and woke up covered with snow. I used to snow ski a lot too... So, you see I can handle and deal with both the heat and the cold...but I much prefer warm to hot temperatures versus cool to cold temperatures.

Now then, it's obvious that it is you that is [let's say] 'different'!

BTW, how do you know what a wife would do?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 PM

1,781 posts, read 4,042,545 times
Quote:
The way I see it is: I love weather from 60-80F. We don't get much of a spring or fall in general. It transitions from summer to winter and back in a matter of a few weeks. The summer anyway is going to be >90F high consistently. Why not enjoy the nice weather in winter at least? I don't want to be stuck inside during the summer as well as in the winter. I can't tolerate temperatures below 40F well at all.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 PM

5,407 posts, read 13,310,736 times
Quote:
Hahaha! Let's just say that you are [purposely] misconstruing my feelings about summer temperatures. Just to make it clear for you (for the umpteeth time) I do not mind 100+ summer temperatures. Likewise I prefer a warm winter - 75 degrees in the winter will do just fine. However, unlike you staying inside for three months in the summer, you will not find me staying inside during the winter or the summer.

For your information, I've been on hunting trips where I slept under the stars in a sleeping bag and woke up covered with snow. I used to snow ski a lot too... So, you see I can handle and deal with both the heat and the cold...but I much prefer warm to hot temperatures versus cool to cold temperatures.

Now then, it's obvious that it is you that is [let's say] 'different'!

BTW, how do you know what a wife would do?
Ha ha ha ... but your A/C came on at 70 which makes no sense as far as the temperature you like. You should set it to 100 in the summer and I'll bet it will come on every now and then.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Ha ha ha ... but your A/C came on at 70 which makes no sense as far as the temperature you like. You should set it to 100 in the summer and I'll bet it will come on every now and then.
Huh...get your facts straight K-9*house. Did your brain lock-up on you? It was not my A/C that was set to come on at 70 degrees. It was kenshi that had her A/C set to come on at 70 degrees.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:

And I've worked in the heat for up to 12 hours a day when it was over 100 degrees outside. One year near the end of summer, I worked next to a steel casting furnace when it was well into the 90s. So you see, I can handle and deal with both the heat and the cold, but I much prefer the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas