Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 07:59 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times

Advertisements

Extreme Heat Breaks More Than 3,000 Records This Week

No records broken to my knowledge in the cool state of Texas...

Last edited by highcotton; 07-05-2012 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 PM

488 posts, read 554,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

It was reasonable to complain last year, when the heat was setting records and hit triple digits virtually every day for two months.

This summer?!? It's pretty much normal for DFW, maybe a little cooler than it's been the last few years. Granted, it's hot in general, and I still plan on taking frequent trips elsewhere personally (hey, it's not as crazy as going out golfing in this heat. ), but this is pretty much...er, par for the course for Dallas summers.

I feel sorry for my peeps up in Chicago, tho'.
I can live with summers like this year. Last year was just stupid!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:36 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
This summer?!? It's pretty much normal for DFW, maybe a little cooler than it's been the last few years.
No, no it's not. It may not be as hot as last year, but it's still hotter than average. Take a look at the temperature chart on this page and tell me how many days you see dip below average versus going above average. I don't see a single day where the low is below average and only one where the high is below average. That leaves 29 days that were above average, a couple of them about 15 degrees above. And that's what you call normal?

As for Texas being cooler than these other states, there's a big ass difference. There, it'll be hot for a few days, and then it'll be back to cooler temperatures. Chicago is predicted to hit 100 the next couple of days, and then it's back down to 70's. Oh no, how will they live through that...? Here, it'll be in the 100s or close to it for the rest of summer except for the occasional rainy day where we get in the 80s with 100% humidity. How wonderful...

Old 07-06-2012, 05:57 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,021 times
^^ What with global warming and climate change, I think everyone better accept what we're having this year as pattern for future Texas summers. I doubt the averages of the last 30 years will be achieved anytime soon.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:16 AM

Where would you rather be? DFW is most definitely NOT the hottest, nor the most uncomfortable location in the US by a long shot!!! But, listening to some people you'd certainly think DFW was always the worse - NOT SO!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:10 AM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post

Where would you rather be? DFW is most definitely NOT the hottest, nor the most uncomfortable location in the US by a long shot!!! But, listening to some people you'd certainly think DFW was always the worse - NOT SO!!!
Did you even bother to read Kenshi's post? He said it very well.

Chicago is supposed to be 100 today but by Sunday will be 81 - "OMG, it's so bad, when will it end!!" Oh, yeah... Sunday. Their average high is 84. Check out the averages for any of these cities and you will find they are 10-15-20 degrees above normal and have been. You've stated that thousands of records have been broken yourself.

5 Day Weather Forecast for Chicago - weather.com

Average Weather for Chicago, IL - Temperature and Precipitation

What is Dallas, 3-4 degrees above normal? That is considered normal. You will have days above 96 and days below 96. This is how you get that average.

Look at Jefferson City, Missouri... the average high for July is 88 and the average low is 68. A normal heat wave for them would be 96 - Dallas' average. Dallas at a 8 degrees above normal is 104. I don't know about you but an average of 88 seems pretty nice to me.

This is extremely abnormal for all of the areas under heat advisories and that are experiencing a "heat wave". When I watch the news it's hard for me to feel sorry for these people because it isn't going to last long. In a few days Texas will be stuck with the heat and the rest of these "OMG it's so hot" cities will be waiving theirs goodbye.

Last edited by MobileDave; 07-06-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
This is extremely abnormal for all of the areas under heat advisories and that are experiencing a "heat wave". When I watch the news it's hard for me to feel sorry for these people because it isn't going to last long. In a few days Texas will be stuck with the heat and the rest of these "OMG it's so hot" cities will be waiving theirs goodbye.
You may want to keep an eye on the Dew Points and 'Feels Like' Heat Index for all the southeastern states and along the Mississippi River from the Gulf all the way to the far north. Comfort is not just about the temperature. Have you ever been in 90+ degree temperatures and felt chilly due to low humidity? If so, that's because of a low Dew Point. For the most part DFW has a reasonable dew point most of the time even though the temperature may be rather high. Whereas along the Mississippi River and the entire southeastern states it is known for the high dew points they have, which makes people very uncomfortable (sticky, sweaty, constantly dripping wet) even when the temperatures may only be in the 70s but terribly uncomfortable when the temperature is in the 80s, 90s and triple-digits. You can be in Utah (for example) sitting in the shade with a temperature of 100+ degrees, 8% humidity and a slight breeze and not be the slightest bit uncomfortable...maybe even a bit chilly. Big difference between that and Florida for example (or pick any SE state or any state along the Mississippi River)! It's not just about 'OMG it's so hot'. When you learn what actually makes people 'feel' uncomfortable you'll be much wiser...

Keep your eye on the three maps that I included in my previous post (two posts up from this one)...

Last edited by highcotton; 07-06-2012 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
You may want to keep an eye on the Dew Points and 'Feels Like' Heat Index for all the southeastern states and along the Mississippi River from the Gulf all the way to the far north. Comfort is not just about the temperature. Have you ever been in 90+ degree temperatures and felt chilly due to low humidity? If so, that's because of a low Dew Point. For the most part DFW has a reasonable dew point most of the time even though the temperature may be rather high. Whereas along the Mississippi River and the entire southeastern states it is known for the high dew points they have, which makes people very uncomfortable (sticky, sweaty, constantly dripping wet) even when the temperatures are only in the 70s. You can be in Utah sitting in the shade with a temperature of 110 degrees, 8% humidity and a slight breeze and not be the slightest bit uncomfortable...maybe even a bit chilly. Big difference between that and Florida (or pick your SE state or along the Mississippi River area)! It's not just about 'OMG it's so hot'. When you learn what actually makes people 'feel' uncomfortable you'll be much wiser...
You know you are talking to somebody that lives in Houston, right?

I know about dew points... the high in Houston is only expected to be 94 or so but the heat index will be 100+. I don't know why you are on this constant mission to prove Dallas is not extremely hot during the summer but you couldn't be further form the truth. I live in Houston and know it can definitely be more uncomfortable here than an any other part of the country but that doesn't mean Dallas doesn't get burning hot. It just means Houston is that much worse.

Someone like me from a very humid climate will go to Dallas and notice a difference but it is still freaking hot and nothing like the north, northeast or midwest. You forget, dew points in the 60's are still considered humid. If that same Utah or Denver (or south Florida, NY, Philly, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Gulfport, Atlanta...) person came to Dallas they would definitely notice it was freaking hot and most if not all would definitely feel its hotter than where they are from and for longer during the summer. Do you not understand how long the summers are here in Texas compared to most of the rest of the country?

Another thing... when the temperature is in the 70's I don't care how high the dew points are (and I've been in 80+) I would never consider it uncomfortable.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 AM

110 posts, read 204,925 times
It's been 100+ where I live for a couple weeks now. Maybe mother nature's preparing me for Texas.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 AM

I think another thing that makes a difference is the amount of rain the SE and Gulf Coast gets when compared to Dallas during the summer. Of course this would be the case in a more humid climate.

Focused, if you don't mind me asking when was the last time this happened where you live?

Last edited by MobileDave; 07-06-2012 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas