Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,477,620 times

Advertisements

I played golf today and it was a tad warm, especially in the late morning and early afternoon...but no one seemed to complain about it. While leaving the golf club I saw some children on the practice green and at driving range taking lessons. This time of year I regularly see children of all ages on school fields practicing summer sports at the peak of the day's temperature.

There's no doubt about it that 100+ temperatures with a heat index of 110 is not comfortable even relaxing in the shade, but being in the direct sun and playing a sport, or running/jogging/walking, etc. is when you must be in pretty good shape. I guess some people get acclimated to the heat, and some don't. My guess is that the ones that don't ever get acclimated to the heat are overweight, eat the wrong foods, and live a sedentary lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
highcotton, this is a point it seems most miss in responding about the heat in Texas to those inquiring about moving to Texas. Those kids love the heat. It's fun playing outside when it's hot, especially if there's water involved. It doesn't become a problem until years later and then it seems every year it gets just a little bit hotter.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
highcotton, this is a point it seems most miss in responding about the heat in Texas to those inquiring about moving to Texas. Those kids love the heat. It's fun playing outside when it's hot, especially if there's water involved. It doesn't become a problem until years later and then it seems every year it gets just a little bit hotter.
Very true! You know - we were all kids at one time, and the vast majority of us were never bothered by the heat. But something changed for a lot of those people when they got older. So, the question is - what was it that changed?

If we could answer the question maybe those people that are now bothered by the heat as adults could get their mo-jo back...

Old 06-23-2010, 04:01 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,214,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Very true! You know - we were all kids at one time, and the vast majority of us were never bothered by the heat. But something changed for a lot of those people when they got older. So, the question is - what was it that changed?

If we could answer the question maybe those people that are now bothered by the heat as adults could get their mo-jo back...
As you get older, your chances of developing other health issues increases, as the body gets older your skin has to work harder to convert vitamin D from sun exposure. Most people only have their arms and face/neck exposed when the other 90% of their body is covered, thus the exposed skin has to work much harder. Also, as the humidity increases, it becomes much harder for your body's cooling system (sweating) to work more efficient. Combine the older age and other health issues (especially diabetes) the heat and sun can be brutal.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:09 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
As you get older, your chances of developing other health issues increases, as the body gets older your skin has to work harder to convert vitamin D from sun exposure. Most people only have their arms and face/neck exposed when the other 90% of their body is covered, thus the exposed skin has to work much harder. Also, as the humidity increases, it becomes much harder for your body's cooling system (sweating) to work more efficient. Combine the older age and other health issues (especially diabetes) the heat and sun can be brutal.
Hmm... this conflicts with my perception of the typical Southern Florida resident... and my grandparent's insistence on keeping the A/C at 85.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:27 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,214,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Hmm... this conflicts with my perception of the typical Southern Florida resident... and my grandparent's insistence on keeping the A/C at 85.
With respect, most people who retire to Florida are severely uneducated. They get tired of dealing with the snow up North and figure Florida is the ideal choice, the warmer the better. With indoor temperatures that high, they are at a very high risk for developing mold, which induces numerous other health problems. I know of at least 3 types of mold that can grow at that temperature range, and chances are they have no clue how humid it is indoors.

To put it bluntly, they don't call it Floriduh for nothing. People here are dumb.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
In 1958, when economist John Kenneth Galbraith appropriately described the United States as “The Affluent Society,” 9.5 percent of U.S. households had air conditioning.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:30 PM

The heat is on Washington, DC in more ways than one!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:56 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
In 1958, when economist John Kenneth Galbraith appropriately described the United States as “The Affluent Society,” 9.5 percent of U.S. households had air conditioning.
In 1958 I was in the 8th Grade and lived in Houston in a two story house. My Dad had window units downstairs cause he said you don't need it at night.

Today I have a window unit in my bedroom besides central we leave at 78 so I can sleep cool at night.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
My grandmothers - both born before the 20th century did not have ac. One hated it and would go outside if she had to be in some house with it and the other finally got a window unit when she was close to 80. She had gotten a swamp cooler a bit before that - they did have electric fans however.

When I was a small child I think we had one window ac unit in the living room and we left the bedroom doors open - I don't remember having an ac unit in my room until middle school (no ac in schools, either) and I remember how well I slept with that wonderful Frederich. After that we moved to a home with central air and my mother still lives there. Does anybody remember attic fans? My late Daddy loved to run those but always warned us the roof would come off the house if we ran it with the window closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas