Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,424 times

Advertisements

My thoughts exactly, i wanna know what i am getting myself into!!! So if i melt and have to be peeled from the concrete, we maybe rethinking, Just kidding...i keep telling myself weather is not everything, and atleast i like HEAT!!

I tried to talk my Husband into Indiana, i really liked it, and atleast they have the right idea, they are INSIDE when it is freezing outside!!! But in all honesty, not only could he not work at that time, i would probably be really sad not seeing any sun for a long time!!

Hopefully to be a Texan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
My thoughts exactly, i wanna know what i am getting myself into!!! So if i melt and have to be peeled from the concrete, we maybe rethinking, Just kidding...i keep telling myself weather is not everything, and atleast i like HEAT!!

I tried to talk my Husband into Indiana, i really liked it, and atleast they have the right idea, they are INSIDE when it is freezing outside!!! But in all honesty, not only could he not work at that time, i would probably be really sad not seeing any sun for a long time!!

Hopefully to be a Texan
Well think about it this way, it is not as if you are committing yourself to anything with this trip. You are having a look around a potential new home state, seeing what you like and do not like. Have fun!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 AM
MDE

20 posts, read 54,858 times
The lakes are low.

WSJ, 7/28, "Texas Scorched by Worst Drought in 50 Years"

Quote:
The heat wave has drastically reduced reservoirs and forced about 230 public water systems to declare mandatory water restrictions. Lower levels in lakes and rivers have been a blow to tourism, too, making summer boating, swimming and fishing activities impossible in some places.

"Summed up in one word: devastating," Texas Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples said.

Nearly 80 of Texas' 254 counties are in "extreme" or "exceptional" drought, the worst possible levels on the U.S. Department of Agriculture's index. Though other states are experiencing drought, no counties in the continental U.S. outside Texas currently register worse than "severe."

...As Texas aquifers and reservoirs dip to record lows, threatening municipal water supplies, the biggest cities -- Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio -- and 230 others have implemented water restrictions on residents.

...In Central Texas, Lake Travis and Lake Buchanan are down 55% and 49% in volume, respectively. They provide drinking water to more than a million people, including residents of Austin.Additionally, Texas A&M's extension service estimates the drought has caused nearly $100 million in losses related to land-based recreation such as hunting and hiking. At Lake Travis, a popular boating and fishing spot, officials will close the last of the lake's 12 public boat ramps later this week because of the lake's receding waters.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDE View Post
The lakes are low.

My understanding this is not the case in Northern Texas. Am I wrong?

NIta

Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDE View Post
The lakes are low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My understanding this is not the case in Northern Texas. Am I wrong?

NIta
While the lakes are low in North Texas and East Texas they are NOTHING like what is going on down in the Hill Country and South Texas. The lake levels up here are MUCH BETTER and not even close to what they were 2 years ago. Just 2 years ago our lakes were extremely low and we were all on strict water restrictions. So far this year the lakes are at about normal and no severe water restrictions. Our own boat ramp and pier on Lake Tawakoni were both bone dry the start of the summer of 2007. The next year and this year much needed rain came our way and the lakes in this region are doing fine. Go down towards Austin & San Antonio and it is a different story. Lake Travis is VERY LOW. The severe drought is for THAT area and NOT up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas