Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:07 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times

Advertisements

Can anyone direct me to some areas in/around Dallas which has older (pre-1940's) homes, are "green", good schools, low crime, and are either fairly liberal areas or at least tolerant of folks like us (white liberal atheist couple with black son (adopted obviously!).

I had been thinking Highland Park but apparently that is one of the most conservative areas in the state? (At least that's what I heard in another thread).

Looking to spend up to about $1million.

Also...the other "direction" I've been semi-seriously considering is going outisde Dallas a bit (commute is not a daily issue, but would need to be within about 45 min. of Plano), on a bit of land (5-10+ acres). In this case, again, would want to be an area tolerant of us, and also have good private schools nearby if the public schools aren't great (or if they are great, even better!).

Thanks for your help!!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:10 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Lakewood/East Dallas. Swiss Avenue might be the place, but it's getting over the million to two million dollar mark - you will have to find a deal. Highland Park would not be a good idea, IMO.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:34 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
Pre-1940's and "green" are almost mutually exclusive without quite a bit of renovation. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's kind of like my mother's ideals (environmentalist) and diningwear choices (pastic). It's not an obvious mix. Unless you're referring to other aspects of "green".

Old 04-23-2007, 10:38 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Anything with acerage is going to be in an area that is at least semi-rural. Unfortuantely a lot of times those types of areas live up to negative stereotypes. People will be very conservative, bible thumping, bigots. There are many nice large older homes in these areas. Dallas itself has some wonderful older homes in the Lake Highlands. The drawback there is its in close range of a bad area. Finding a green home in Dallas will probably be impossible. More then likely you will have to modify whatever home you buy.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:01 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
People will be very conservative, bible thumping, bigots.
Wow...okay...tell us how you really feel about people that live in the "country". Thats kinda stereotypical and ironic at the same time

Old 04-24-2007, 06:04 AM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
Sorry, although I do love environmentally friendly buildings, in this case I actually meant green in the sense of old growth trees in the neighborhood and that sort of thing.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
Ah, well then, there are plenty of areas with trees, though none really qualify as "Old Growth". The northern suburbs have a lot fewer trees, almost all of it was farmland 50 years ago. (Some of it still is.) There are some areas of Dallas proper and the suburbs that have mature trees, but I couldn't begin to name all of them. (I don't know most of them... )

Momof2DFW should be able to point you in the direction of both land and trees.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:37 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Ah, well then, there are plenty of areas with trees, though none really qualify as "Old Growth". The northern suburbs have a lot fewer trees, almost all of it was farmland 50 years ago. (Some of it still is.) There are some areas of Dallas proper and the suburbs that have mature trees, but I couldn't begin to name all of them. (I don't know most of them... )

Momof2DFW should be able to point you in the direction of both land and trees.
Stay in the areas I suggested in the other thread of the OP's. They will find plenty of very nice pre-1940's housing on large lots w/ very mature trees and a more "open" attitude to those w/ a different lifestyle in their price range. There is one I posted that I'd LOVE to have, omygosh, it is AWESOME!

BTW, I'm taking my kids hiking soon thru the Spring Creek Forest Preserve, which we see EVERY SINGLE DAY and I can see the tops of the trees from the nearby target. http://www.springcreekforest.org/

Old 04-24-2007, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 11,629 times
Default Little Forrest Hills

I saw a documentary on kera called "Subdivided"
It focused on this neighborhood, It sounds like what you are looking for.
www.subdivided.net

As a fellow atheist in North Texas my advise is to keep a low profile.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:01 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Lakewood/East Dallas would be the best place for you. People are very accepting. Lots of tall trees. Pretty and old houses. 1M can buy you a nice house. There is even an area near white rock lake where you can get 1/5 acre - 1 acre lots. (Look off of Brennan's Place north of the lake). The schools are pretty good. Crime is low. The 75214 zip code is the main Lakewood zip. Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood Elementary are the best areas to stay in.

Highland Park is a nice clean town. Excellent schools, but the students are pretty conservative. I grew up there. However, this is how all conversations begin: (1) what's your name? (2) where do you go to church? People will be tolerant of your views. Despite what outsiders think, there are a few Highland Park liberals. But not many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: