Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 PM

146 posts, read 444,359 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am currently in the Cleveland area and am going to relocate to either Dallas or Orlando and was loking for some info. I will be going to Dallas soon.

I know culture in Texas will be a shock..coming from Cleveland. I know everyone is super-proud of Texas (which I think is a good thing...the way people talk about Texas..I fell proud of it too and i have never even been there)

How long are the super hot months where it is un-pleasant to be outside?

Does Dallas offer a big city feel to it?

What is around Dallas and the surrounding counties? Is Dallas in the midlle of the desert?

What are some nice suburbs near Dallas? Near the airport?

How bad is traffic?

What are some nice catholic high schools in the area?

What is there to do?

How are the winters?

Does Dallas have alot of illegal immigrants?

Is dallas growing (in popualtion) too fast for its own good? Why is Dallas (and other Texas cities) grwoing so fast?

How is Dallas doing in the recession? (some say Texas isnt even in a recession)

Basically, I am looking for a good, family friendly place with a lot of stuff to do. I have narrowed it down or Dallas or Orlando, FLA.

As you can see, having never been to Dallas(but planning on going there soon) I would appreciate any info.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
No, Dallas is not in the middle of the desert. There is some arid areas in west Texas but Dallas is north central. There are lots of trees and we Texans pride ourselves in green lawns, trees and parks.

Dallas is a very vital, alive city. There is a big city feel but not a huge city feel. The suburbs, in particular those to the north, are beautiful and offer a lot. The Dallas highway system is good. Yes, there is a traffic issue but there are other options like light rail, buses and trains. I drive in Dallas all the time. I live between Dallas and Ft. Worth. There is only about 35 miles separating the two cities.

Dallas and Ft. Worth both have good entertainment districts with recreation, the arts, parks, Six Flags over Texas, water parks and many other things. There are areas downtown that are great for the singles scene with a lot for couples, too. Wonderful restaurants, bars, etc. Plus, Dallas has several universities and colleges.

Yes, there are Catholic schools and other private schools in Dallas that are well respected.

Summer can be very hot. July-September are usually the hottest months. The winters are very mild compared to what you are used to. Once in a while we get snow and ice but it's usually once or twice during the winter months. The highway dept. keeps the roads sanded when there is an ice storm-which rarely happens.

I hope you enjoy your visit. I've lived all over the US (military kid) but I returned home to Texas decades ago because my heart is in Texas.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 17,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99percent View Post
Hello!

I am currently in the Cleveland area and am going to relocate to either Dallas or Orlando and was loking for some info. I will be going to Dallas soon.

I know culture in Texas will be a shock..coming from Cleveland. I know everyone is super-proud of Texas (which I think is a good thing...the way people talk about Texas..I fell proud of it too and i have never even been there)

What is around Dallas and the surrounding counties? Is Dallas in the midlle of the desert?

How bad is traffic?

What is there to do?

How are the winters?

Is dallas growing (in popualtion) too fast for its own good?

Why is Dallas (and other Texas cities) grwoing so fast?

Basically, I am looking for a good, family friendly place with a lot of stuff to do. I have narrowed it down or Dallas or Orlando, FLA.

As you can see, having never been to Dallas(but planning on going there soon) I would appreciate any info.

Thanks
it's hot from end of May to mid-September - no, you don't get used to it

Dallas does not have a big city feel, anyone who tells you different has never been to a big city

around Dallas are rolling plains and lakes mostly - no desert here

most suburbs near the airport are nice: Coppell, Grapevine, Southlake...

traffic is a choice so don't complain if you choose poorly - my commute is 30 minutes every day on my bicycle to downtown Dallas

there are some good private schools but most people in DFW send kids to public schools

honestly, people here do the same thing as people do everywhere else but with better Mexican food

the winters here are exceptional

not sure the relevancy of illegal immigration to the other questions in your post - what exactly are you after? Texas, thankfully, has never been as blandly anglo as Ohio - also please see above re Mexican food

Texas is growing because of low cost of living, no tax, lots of HDQs, it's not cold...

Orlando sucks unless you're in to that kind of thing

Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Hello!

Quote:
Texans are indeed a proud breed.

Quote:
Mid July to late August.

Quote:
Most definitely Dallas has a big city feel to it. It is after all the 4th largest metropolitan area in the US.

Quote:
Dallas/Fort Worth is in the Prairie & Lakes region of the state. The terrain is flat to gently rolling hills. The vegetation ranges from both lightly forested to wide open spaces.

Quote:
Las Colinas, Valley Ranch, Coppell, & Grapevine.

Quote:
How bad is traffic?
Average commute times from Dallas suburbs to downtown are about 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours in the morning rush hour.

Quote:
What is there to do?
Shopping & dining out are the biggest attractions. The nightlife is also very diverse from night clubs, to lounges, to sports bars, to Western dancing. There is something for everyone.

Quote:
How are the winters?
Winters in North Texas (Dallas) are generally mild, but it can also get pretty darn cold (down into the teens) & ice on the roadways can present a problem.

Quote:
Yes, just like every other major city in Texas.

Quote:
Is dallas growing (in popualtion) too fast for its own good? Why is Dallas (and other Texas cities) grwoing so fast?
Dallas & the rest of Texas has had healthy growth.

Quote:
Dallas has the 4th best economy in Texas now.

Quote:
The Dallas area is more family friendly. Orlando is too touristy.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-02-2009 at 09:04 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 09:30 PM

254 posts, read 983,328 times
Default Moved from oh to Dallas

I think I can give some perspective since I just moved from cincy to Dallas.

The Pros
Weather is much better, although it changes frequently. Pretty much in ohio once the season changes its steady, but not here. YOu definitely wont miss the lake effect snow..lol

Everyone here is really nice. You get MUCH better customer service here than Ohio. Ive been to Cleveland many times, its not that much different than cincy.

If you are a shopper, then this is paradise. Now cleveland may have better shopping than cincy. But the retail down here is varied, and widespread. Ive never seen so many malls, and shops....

There just a lot more to do here, in general. Now cincy was dud when it came to that, cleveland was probably better.

The Cons
Its huge...and depending on where you live, you can spend a LOT on Tolls.

I am sure Im biased but Cincinnati had a lot more affordable excellent suburban school districts, and when I look at the natl test score averages of the good districts here, they are a tad bit lower than the top districts at home. If you have kids note that some schools here are on accelerated block scheduling, so that was really different.

Taxes, taxes, and more taxes...Dont let anyone fool you and say , "ooh its so cheap to live here, because its not. At least not from Ohio. They dont have state income tax, but the property tax is sky high, the sales tax is 8.25% in a lot of places. The groceries are higher down here as well, a lot higher. The meat is more expensive, and so is the fruit, which really surprised me. The car insurance is ridiculous. Its not that Texas is the highest in the country, but oh ranks 43 for car insurance and Texas ranks 21st, so our insurance went up a ton. Now it may not be much for you, since Cleveland has a lot more crime, etc than cincy so your rates are probably higher anyway.

No basements, that definitely takes some getting used to...

Regarding Orlando, Ive had two sets of friends move there, and its been 4 years for one couple, and two for the other, both couples are still renting. The real estate market is STILL dropping like a rock there, so be careful.

All in all, it has been pretty nice. Of course Im homesick, but it gets better.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 AM

213 posts, read 698,202 times
Ex-Clevelander here. I've lived in several different places in the US, but can offer my perspective as an EX (emphasis on the caps) Clevelander.

Coming from humid Northern Ohio, you will probably think mid June to the end of August. Your AC will be running 24/7 during these months (even at 2am it will be 85 degrees).
Yes, but relative. It's sprawling. Think more big city Los Angeles or Atlanta rather than New York or Chicago.
Lots of suburbs. Even though I was pleasantly surprised by the landscaping in many areas, there is just far too much cement, flat landscape.. and well, a general "blahness" factor to much of the Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex. Think of some older Eastide Cleveland neighborhoods (Warrensville Heights, Euclid, or Parma) for a good example (minus the crime). Once you get outside of the metroplex it's not quite desert... just mostly dirt and prairie land with small towns scattered about.
Don't know the area around DFW at all.
How bad is traffic?
Comparing it to Cleveland you will think it's terrible. It also depends on the times of the commute and direction. During morning or afternoon rush hour into/out of Dallas, expect it to take about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to go 10-15 miles on the highway systems. That's if there are no accidents. The tollway system is a joke and I refuse to use it. You should not have to pay to drive on a basic highway system. Or, when the amount of tolls collected pays for the project, said tolls should be LOWERED or REMOVED, not INCREASED.
No clue. I don't think they are as popular here as they are near Cleveland though (St. Eds, Iggys, Padua, ect.) Public schools are supposedly pretty good.
What is there to do?
As far as shopping/dining/entertainment- you name it. As far as outdoor recreation, you are kind of limited by the intense summer weather and geographical factors (no beaches or snow skiing here). Golf is year 'round.
How are the winters?
Like a typical early November or late March near Cleveland. Except the winter in Dallas is only from December to February- and you actually see the sun more than five or six times.
There are a lot of hispanics, I suppose? Who is to say if they are legal or not. But if you are prejudiced or stereotype, take comfort in knowing that most of the Hispanics here are much more polite than the ones up North and around Cleveland. Around the metroplex, most of them don't seem to have that huge chip on their shoulder from what I have seen (relatively speaking of course).
Pro-business atmosphere that the rest of the country is for some reason straying from. The anti-corporate attitude is overly idealistic and hilarious. Anyway, I wasn't here before the boom, so I have nothing to compare it to as far as "too fast for its own good". Though I do think it is FAR too crowded for my prefererence. I prefer medium sized cities, like Raleigh, Nashville, or Charlotte.
Recession?
Never been to Orlando, but from what I hear Dallas would be more to your liking. There are just so many suburbs to choose. Take Westlake, Rocky River, Beachwood, and some of the nicer areas of Shaker Heights-- now triple their size. That's pretty much what you have to choose from in Dallas.
Good luck.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Catholic high schools:

Jesuit - all boys - located in North Dallas

Ursuline - all girls - located in North Dallas

Bishop Lynch - coed - located in northeast Dallas

Pope John Paul - coed - located in Plano

Bishop Dunne - coed - located south of downtown - starts at 6th grade

Cistercian - all boys - located in Irving - starts at 5th grade - very hard to get into

The Highlands School - located in Irving - has all grades, preschool to 12th - coed, but single gender classes started in 5th grade or so

Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 AM

146 posts, read 444,359 times
Thank you all for the helpful info!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
That "ice and snow" in Dallas is usually just once per year - usually melts the next day or the same afternoon. It's best not to get out in it because the drivers lose all sense...

Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
My answers are in bold letters.

Quote:
Hello!

How long are the super hot months where it is un-pleasant to be outside? 3 months

Does Dallas offer a big city feel to it? Yes. It's huge.

What is around Dallas and the surrounding counties? Dallas actually has very pretty Hill Country in Cedar Hill and South Irving. Frisco, Plano, Lewisville, and Richardson are all state of the art cities with new shopping malls and activities. Is Dallas in the midlle of the desert? No. That would be Fort Worth. H

What are some nice suburbs near Dallas? Near the airport? Carrollton

How bad is traffic? Good if you avoid highways and tolls.

What is there to do? Everything except the beach. Dallas cowboys, theme parks, hill country, white rock lake, museums, art galleries, concert halls, parades, block parties, bars, night life, comedy clubs, etc.

How are the winters?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas