Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 PM

18 posts, read 125,448 times

Advertisements

Like a lot of others on this site, we are looking at Texas to move to.

We are planning on getting out of Northern California and buying a few acres in Northeastern Texas. We have two daughters; one a freshman in High School and the other is Graduating H.S. this June and is a very serious student (Honor Roll, 3.85 GPA)

Our idea is to buy a place with room for a couple of horses (we have one horse now) and look for a location where our girls can commute to College. The older daughter has plans on becoming a Psychology Major and going for her PhD over the next 8-10 years.

So far we are looking someplace east of Dallas (Caddo Mills, Quinlan etc..) but we are very much open to other suggestions. From what I've seen on the realty websites, it looks like we can get 3-5 acres with a smaller house for less than 200k. We would prefer to spend closer to 150K and save some for all these College costs…

Also comes to mind the type of water supplied to the house.
Some of the places have Well only, some Co-Op, some M.U.D. and others have City Water. The questions on the water are not about quality but more to do with availability.
Do the Wells often run dry during a prolonged drought?
What about Co-Ops?

Any suggestions on cities with good College access would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Getin' Out of Cali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 PM

709 posts, read 3,474,146 times
There are a lot areas near Denton that might have land prospects. I'm not sure about the cost though. It might be up there in the $. University of North Texas and TWU are both good schools and are also commuter schools for many.

If you go west of Ft. Worth there might be some places too. University of Arlington, TCU or both that direction.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
land near Denton like Argyle and Bentonville is getting pretty expensive--most properties less than 200 would require work to upgrade and probably be older homes--like from the 50s or so...especially w/2-3 acres...

Old 05-09-2007, 06:24 AM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
The only 4-year college remotely close to Caddo Mills/Quinlan is Texas A&M at Commerce. There are some other 4-year schools in the DFW and Denton areas.

Be advised that Quinland schools are just OK. My parents actually live int he Quinlan ISD and most of their neighbors with kids send them to private schools.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:43 AM

418 posts, read 1,785,266 times
I would go towards Denton. UNT is right there, too. So is TWU.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:50 PM

709 posts, read 3,474,146 times
We recently held a job fair for teachers and I interviewed a lot of graduates of Texas A & M Commerce. I was impressed. This seems to be the place to be right now.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:17 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,427,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin' Out of Cali View Post
Like a lot of others on this site, we are looking at Texas to move to.

We are planning on getting out of Northern California and buying a few acres in Northeastern Texas. We have two daughters; one a freshman in High School and the other is Graduating H.S. this June and is a very serious student (Honor Roll, 3.85 GPA)

Our idea is to buy a place with room for a couple of horses (we have one horse now) and look for a location where our girls can commute to College. The older daughter has plans on becoming a Psychology Major and going for her PhD over the next 8-10 years.

So far we are looking someplace east of Dallas (Caddo Mills, Quinlan etc..) but we are very much open to other suggestions. From what I've seen on the realty websites, it looks like we can get 3-5 acres with a smaller house for less than 200k. We would prefer to spend closer to 150K and save some for all these College costs…

Also comes to mind the type of water supplied to the house.
Some of the places have Well only, some Co-Op, some M.U.D. and others have City Water. The questions on the water are not about quality but more to do with availability.
Do the Wells often run dry during a prolonged drought?
What about Co-Ops?

Any suggestions on cities with good College access would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Getin' Out of Cali
Don't forget TCU as well Coming from a former Northern Californian, take a look at Fort Worth area as well .

Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 21,580 times
I am impressed with Texas A&M Commerce. My husband and I just moved to TX to work there. If you end up in Caddo Mills, the drive is only about 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas