Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:29 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,964 times

Advertisements

I would not do it! Too many "ifs"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:18 AM

159 posts, read 277,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
I am sorry to say but this is VERY out of the ordinary. People BUY houses sight unseen. Just because you haven't met each other doesn't mean that you are going to be bad tenants or mistrust has to be there.

There are tenants that are finding themselves on the street because the landlords didn't pay the mortgage.

I personally just had a experience w/a tenant who was a doctor with good credit on one of my rentals and he was behind 3 months on his rent. Stuff happens!

Direct deposit avoids all this post dated checks nonsense.

Naima
Very Good point. I will be sure to argue that point and request the direct deposit option. Logically speaking one would ask why rent to someone who you don't trust but I think the bottom line is money and the fact that we are the only people who've shown interest in this house because the requested rent is more than what most homes in that area are going for.

So we will see how this all turns out. If this doesn't work out then there's always a plan B.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 AM

4 posts, read 9,167 times
We moved here 17 years ago and went through a realtor. Hopped on a U-Haul and drove down from NY. I never rented, was still living with parents. The landlord required 3 months rent and 1 month security deposit.
We lived in the house for about 6-7 years before we even met him in person!! Still in the same house and now trying to buy it - wish us luck!!

Try looking into some real estate investment groups to find a reasonable landlord

Old 12-07-2009, 02:24 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDadof2 View Post
I would run from that deal. Banks aren't required to refuse to pay a post dated check. They can refuse to pay it but they aren't required to. So it is theoretically possible for them to cash any of the checks at anytime assuming of course the money is in the account.
Yes, this is what I was going to also say. I formerly worked for a bank, and sometimes people are quite surprised to learn that postdated checks can be cashed at any time.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
it sounds like you are going through with this despite the negative comments
I would not do it--there is also possibility that the homeowners will try to sell the house from under you
then you would be out of luck and money--no way that you can stop them from doing that

also I would worry that the relative would cash the checks--keep the money--and not pass them along to the owner in a timely fashion...

Old 12-08-2009, 10:00 AM

159 posts, read 277,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
it sounds like you are going through with this despite the negative comments
I would not do it--there is also possibility that the homeowners will try to sell the house from under you
then you would be out of luck and money--no way that you can stop them from doing that

also I would worry that the relative would cash the checks--keep the money--and not pass them along to the owner in a timely fashion...
We are still interested in the house but like Naima said, we can do direct deposit. Nothing is written in stone as far as the checks in advance, that was just his request so technically if we said no we aren't going to do it, it's not written into the contract.

I don't think they would sell the house because they just purchased it. I am a great researcher and i've done my homework with regards to this house. I am just not familiar with the owners but by them just purchasing it, I doubt they'll turn around and sell it in the year that we'll be there especially if they are making money off of us.

I also believe that renting any house that isn't ours is a gamble and I truly do appreciate all of the advice given here. We will take it to heart and go with another method of payment but the house is still a very nice house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: