Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:56 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

Interested in anyone's comments about the Winspear who has actually BEEN to a performance...not just what you think about its outside appearance or the fact that Dallas has something new in the theater line...

We are considering getting seats for the production of South Pacific playing over the holidays
but I have tried to find without any luck couple of items of info...

at Ball Hall if you are not familiar with the seating, the web site offers a photo shot of what the stage looks like from certain points of the seating areas...don't use it now because we have been so often and sat in different locations but it would be helpful if you don't know the seating...

can't find anything like that for the Winspear...
have no idea about the slope from one row/section to the next to know how likely you will have a decent view if someone even your size is sitting in front of you...
at Bass...the ODD rows get the up and certain rows are even higher than normal with extra leg room...J is a wonderful row...so we know how to search for seats...

have read that the seats are hard plastic and on the small side which makes larger patrons probably uncomfortable for any duration...
one of the people going with us is probably close to 300 lbs and frankly I don't want to torture him if the seats are that uncomfortable...

also that the front rows in upper levels have large security bars to prevent people from toppling out...which go across the field of vision...
(something that should be addressed on the point of sale when choosing seats and is not from my limited investigation at the site)

also read that the bathrooms don't function that well--stalls are not that numerous and there is open shot from lobby into some...

so any clues about areas that have better seating than normal/avg would be appreciated
the orchestra is priced less than the second level which I guess are boxes and all areas of orchestra seems priced the same--not true with the Bass

sound quality seems to be good from what I have read on professional reviews but don't know if that works for all types of productions...
(the Bass is great with a capella sound almost all the time but some groups bring sound systems that are not calibrated before hand and can turn a concert into a catfight at times...)

info on parking...we would take a night performance...
would it be smart to park a little further away and take a tunnel walk back???
CAN you enter from the tunnels?
what is best parking lot in area...driver could dropoff and walk back...
at Fair Park Music Hall parking was not much of a problem (to me) unless construction was in play...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,430 times
I went with a few friends to a performance at the Winspear last night and we had tickets for the nosebleed section on level 5. We were not in the center so I had to lean forward and crain my neck to see the entire stage. The protective railing did interfere with the view. Fortunately for us the event was not sold out, so we moved down to the orchestra level after the intermission. The sound at the orchestra level was noticeably superior to that on the 5th balcony. The slope of the floor seemed sufficient so that the views should not be obstructed by those in front of you. I did not find the seating to be uncomfortable, but two of the other people in my group did mention that. As for parking, one couple managed to find free parking right on Flora St. We parked in the garage that serves the Meyerson for $10 because we couldn't find the entrance to the parking underneath the Winspear. All of us were rather disappointed with the interior, but I will definitely return to the Winspear for other productions. I'll just know to sit in the orchestra seating or in a center balcony (not too high though).

Old 12-13-2009, 09:53 AM

any one else???

Old 12-13-2009, 01:38 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
any one else???
Sure, I've been to the Winspear several times... usually sitting in the level 5 nosebleed section.

The one time I sat in the second row, I had no problem with the railing. It is actually part railing and part lamp. The top half is metal, and the bottom is open, and exposes a flourescent light... so you can see where you're going.

Personally, I dislike the first row of level 5, since I have balance problems, and I have the eerie feeling that I'm going to fall all the way to the bottom when I try to walk to my seat. There is no handrail for the first row.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 AM

we would not be sitting in the higher rows--my friend has fear of heights in situations like that--we tend to stay out of the top part of Bass for same reason...

more concerned with seat comfort and how easy it is to access the bldg/seats for someone with bad hip...

Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM

152 posts, read 850,288 times
We went to the South Pacific performance last night. The show itself was good with lots of prop changes. There were about 30 actors including the 5 main characters. Their vocals were one of the better ones we've heard. The orchestra was able to portray the nuances beautifully. Acoustics were very near silence.

We sat at the dress circle level 4, front row A, center. The view was better than expected since even though you're higher up, you're not too far from the main stage. The seats were ok. Somewhat on the thin side compared to movie theater's but not bad at all. We were fine throughout the 3 hrs performance.

We didn't research about parking, but ended up parking in the cathedral parking garage in front of the Meyerson for $10. Glad we did, since when we exited, there was a huge line of people going down the escalator in front of the venue to go to the parking lot. It took us almost 10 minutes from the 4th level going down the main stairwell to the main entrance/exit. It probably would've added another good 15 minutes to get out of the parking lot if you park right under the Winspear theater.

Overall, good experience and will definitely go there again. We'll be looking for shows for the Wylie Theater next. Anyone has experience with Wylie, please post.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:07 AM

326 posts, read 962,175 times
We haven't had bad seats in either the Winspear or Wyly. For the opera our seats are way up in Grand Tier row F, and while they are up in the clouds the view isn't bad if you get a middle seat. Our seats for the ballet were in Box Circle Level F and they were great, but pricey! Personally I would be hesitant to get anything too far on either side, as you might be leaning over the railing or have a restricted view. I noticed that the Q, R, S rows on the Orchestra level might be good because they are elevated a bit above the rest of the floor seats. And all of the seats in the Mezzanine Center look like they would be good too.

As for the Wyly, I think it's hard to judge because every performance will have a new seating layout. While we were hesitant of our 1st balcony seats, they turned out to be pretty good, although we had to lean over the railing during most of the show. The best seats in would be on the floor (and not under the balcony), as you can interact with the performers better and really be in the middle of the action. The second balcony looked to be too far removed from everything and if we had a little trouble on the 1st balcony, I'm sure their experience was much worse.

For parking, I think One Arts Plaza offers a cheaper rate and it's not in the middle of all the traffic. There is also a new "Art Cart" shuttle that runs between the restaurants/bars and the performance venues. If you don't mind walking, you can find free parking in some of the retail lots across Woodall Rodgers on McKinney Avenue, or street parking along St Paul/Harwood in the evening (north of Ross). Be careful of some of the shady lots downtown (garages are always more secure and "official") and always check the signs and meters.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:53 PM

19 posts, read 52,677 times
Was there for South Pacific on the 19th. Sat in orchestra (row Q, about 3/4 way back from the stage). Wife is in a wheelchair, so row was "configured" to allow for wheelchairs.

Sound was fantastic. Sight lines were great. The hall isn't huge (2,000 seats), and a lot of the seating is "elevated" (Loge, Dress Cicrle, Grand Tier, etc). Seats (at least in Orchestra) are close to the stage because of the configuration of the hall.

We pre-paid for parking ($15), which was in "Lexus Red". Lexus Red is a three level underground garage under the Winspear. Parked, took the elevator to Plaza Level ("P" on the elevator buttons), and came up outside in front of Winspear. Easy parking, just off of Jack Evans, which is on the East side of Winspear.

FYI, Lexus Silver is a garage nearest the Wyly. You can access the Winspear from Lexus Silver (easy walk across the park), but Lexus Red is very easy.

Lexus Red - Winspear - the Winspear's facade is red glass
Lexus Silver - Wyly's facade is aluminum (silver in color).

Great venue. You'll love it!

And, the production of "South Pacific" was magical. I've seen before on stage (Music Hall), 20 years ago. Sets were stunning, singing was out of this world, and the dancing was out of this world.

Wheelchair seating was great. There are seats installed in the areas desgnated for wheelchairs (for companions). We had 2 reserved seats, and they let us choose which one we wanted removed for my wife's seating area. 4 wingnuts hold the seats to the floor, and the usher removed it without tooks, without fuss, and took the chair away. By far the best accomidations for wheelchairs we've seen. Job well done! Magnificant facility!

You'll have a wonderful experience.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:21 AM

follow up to my initial question--
we went tonight--party of 5--got there early because we had dinner reservations for restaurant at One Arts Plaza and had to pick tickets up at will-call...

ordered them on-line and thought it was process with lots of glitches--and there is no way I could see on the site to pre-purchase parking in the garage although you can pre-purchase parking...needs work and DEFINITELY needs better seating chart...
I used the chart on ATT Winspear's own site and frankly it stunk...

we got tickets in Orchestra row P --we thought IN BACK of the the light board command station with aisle in front of them but they were actually the row right in front of light board and therefore in front of the aisle--which were very good seats but we thought from the diagram there would be a large aisle in front of us for more leg room--NOT SO
this seems to be a very stupid mistake to me--and maybe the site is so new that no one has complained but two conversations I had with people about ticketing leads me to believe that there are multiple problems with the system for on-line purchase...

but leg room was adequate to good for me and don't think my husband who is 6'1 was cramped...someone with us is fairly heavy set and he said he was comfortable...and South Pacific has incredibly looonnnggg first act (90+ minutes)...

row P was right in the center of center and under the chandelier you might have read about...had good access into main lobby because there is aisle right across from it so it was easy to get out at intermission for restroom break...
there are definitely not as many stalls as Bass--and because of construction design some people cannot tell when stalls at the far end are empty so people stand around waiting when there are stalls open

we parked on Level 2 underneath and managed not to pay for parking--again because of poorly designed signage/directions--rode the escalator down after the performance--LOTS of people and I would imagine we were out early because of our seats with more to follow from the higher levels...so I would definitely get seats in Orchestra if prices are similar--
friends sat in the 4th level the other night and had great sound but admitted they were far enough from stage to use their opera glasses--we were too close to really need them

some seats in the side boxes on orchestra level swivel but the front row (which has a railing and a shield to obscure legs of people sitting there) has shorter leg room than we would like so would not recommend it--saw almost no one sitting in those seats...

the seats are staggered so that your row and one in front alternate--you don't sit directly behind anyone and there is more separation by height than at Bass from what I could tell--we also had two empty seats in front of us so had an absolutely perfect view of stage

seats were wider than I anticipated with large square, padded cushions with some type of wood/laminate backing--speakers in floor under each seat--wood floor but did not notice that it was unduly noisy when people were walking in or out...
don't know if there is announcement in lobby about play starting but we heard nothing before the initial start of performance or the second act--and doors to lobby were open--
kind of disturbing

lots of ushers and they do not seem to be the volunteers that Bass uses and after the show there were people IN THE GARAGE actually directing traffic at least in the main aisles so that traffic had some type of control/system--what a novel idea--

leather bench seating along the windows in the lobby and some tables at either end for those getting drinks
did not see elevators to use inside the bldg for higher levels--two elevators outside going to garage--small occupancy--maybe 10 people or fewer depending on groups getting in and fairly slow from what we could tell when they were full

there are levels in the courtyard around the Winspear for walking in/out--the heights are not uniform--and they have added black tape (duh!) to the edges so that you can see them during the day but the lighting at night is not that bright and frankly I think it would be smarter to do different type of banding or some flourescent paint/tape

our friends who went before had woman in their party who caught her shoe in cobblestones and fell--so we were pretty conscious of looking for possible problems

we got there really early--around 5-- and drove around some before parking for dinner--there were some boys with skateboards using the sidewalk and levels--no police at that time but after dinner when we rode the Arts shuttle from restaurant to Winspear (a little chilly because of the open-air-compartment) there was police/security guy putting on his coat by his truck parked in the 1-hour parking on the street--so I guess there was street security to route traffic/parking closer to performance time...

all in all--easier time getting in and out than anticipated but some of that ease probably comes from fact that there was little traffic New Year's Day night on freeway and the hall was not sold out--the acoustics are wonderful--and the seating was better than expected--so we have more positive vibe than I anticipated--
the male lead for South Pacific has very strong, melodic voice--and thought the female lead was good as well but there did not seem to be too much chemistry between them--the guy who sang the flyer's part was good...but had forgotten how lopsided the score is--very long first act and all the good songs are in it--
orchestra was great--

Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
I took my son for the matinee this afternoon and made a few notes to share.

We parked in the underground garage entered on Ross a block before the cathedral. Parking was $10. Take the elevator up to Flora St, walk across toward the Mort and over to the Winspear. Easy. And just as mentioned, there was a looonnng line at Winspear at the escalators after the performance. In/out was quick and easy at the garage we parked at.

Our tix were at will call. The box office is way over on the side closer to the of the Mort. The waiting area here is very small with a few tables.

I was a smidge hungry, so I tried the sushi roll at the bar. It was good. Six small pieces for $8 - yes, overpriced, but it worked for me. They allow their bottled water into the theater - Aquafina for $4. I'm guessing you could sneak in a small bottle and nobody would know the difference.
I liked that you could pre-order a drink and snack if you wanted one during the intermission and it would be ready for you at a service bar area of the bar; you show them your receipt.

Bathrooms do seem like a poor design. It was difficult to tell if stalls toward the back were occupied or not. During intermission, woman's line was very long. Even the men's had a line!!!

We sat in the left orchestra; row H; seat 1 and 2. Thought our seats were great. Had a wonderful experience and thoroughly enjoyed South Pacific. That Bloody Mary is killer!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas