Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,230,646 times

Advertisements

Ok so I think I have this down but it seems ridiculous that I have to go 3 different places just to get my cars registered and obtain a TX drivers license. I was spoiled in CA with doing everything at the DMV or AAA.

Anyways, can you guys verify that I have the order correct?

1. Get an inspection
2. Take inspection cert. To county tax collectors office and obtain title, registration and plates
3. Go to TX dept. of public safety with vehicle registration and get drivers license.

Anything else I should know or do? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 12:45 PM

468 posts, read 1,888,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Ok so I think I have this down but it seems ridiculous that I have to go 3 different places just to get my cars registered and obtain a TX drivers license. I was spoiled in CA with doing everything at the DMV or AAA.

Anyways, can you guys verify that I have the order correct?

1. Get an inspection
2. Take inspection cert. To county tax collectors office and obtain title, registration and plates
3. Go to TX dept. of public safety with vehicle registration and get drivers license.

Anything else I should know or do? Thanks!
Before getting the inspection, you must show proof of financial responsiblilty, IE, insurance. You need to have your liability insurance card when you get your inspection sticker. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,467,402 times
Quote:
Since you think everything is so much better in California, maybe you should stay there, ... you'll be happier and the people in Texas will be too. Also, since when could you get a California emissions inspection at the DMV, or were you just able to bribe the clerk at the DMV?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM

I'm at firestone now. An hour and a half wait! Arrgg. May not make it to the tax collectors office today. Thanks for the input. I've got the insurance card so now I just have to wait for them to inspect it.

I must say the form for the certificate of title is a little confusing. It's worded more for a vehicle sale.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM

254 posts, read 984,203 times
new to the area as well, be sure you have either cash or a check drawn from a local bank to pay for your registration, no out of state checks! Actually it was only two stops for us. One for the inspection, and the registration and drivers license offices were at least in the same bldg, albeit not in the same office.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Since you think everything is so much better in California, maybe you should stay there, ... you'll be happier and the people in Texas will be too. Also, since when could you get a California emissions inspection at the DMV, or were you just able to bribe the clerk at the DMV?
Ok first of all who the hell are you? I never said I thought everything was better. Just I was used to it since it was the only place I had over previously. Aside from you, everyone has been really cool and welcoming here. Thanks for being a dick to someone asking for a little guidance.

I guess you've got some stereotype of californians in your mind. It's a big state like Texas. Also like texas, there are many different types of people. Thanks for the warm welcome and southern hospitality.

Yes you're right about the smog thing in CA I was referring more to the annoyance of one office for registration and then another for the license thing.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
new to the area as well, be sure you have either cash or a check drawn from a local bank to pay for your registration, no out of state checks! Actually it was only two stops for us. One for the inspection, and the registration and drivers license offices were at least in the same bldg, albeit not in the same office.
That's good info. Thanks! Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to have both offices in the same building. From what I saw on the websites, they're on opposite sides of town for me. Oh well.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:15 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,545,074 times
Quote:
I'm at firestone now. An hour and a half wait! Arrgg. May not make it to the tax collectors office today. Thanks for the input. I've got the insurance card so now I just have to wait for them to inspect it.

I must say the form for the certificate of title is a little confusing. It's worded more for a vehicle sale.
Your best bet to get in and out quick when it comes to inspections is to do it first thing in the morning when Firestone or wherever you take your car to opens. Just a little tip for next time

Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM

501 posts, read 1,464,699 times
I have found the easiest (quickest) place to get an inspection is the places that only do inpsections. Obviously a little late for the OP but maybe helpful to someone else.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,899,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post

yes it's a hassel to have to go to different places for plates/registration and License.

We have lived in 6 states and TX is the only one where the DMV doesn't take care of everything. So, yes when your new and you go to the DMV only to be told you can't get your license because your don't have your registration and you can't get it there etc... it's frustrating!

OP...from now on you can get your registration updated on-line...no waits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas