Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 AM

319 posts, read 737,238 times

Advertisements

This is all very interesting and helpful. One of the reasons we wanted to post anonymous and put our income is that my husband feels that is actually not a high income for the Park Cities. He doesnt want us to feel somewhat "poor" keeping up with the Jones' and in a house that is small on a stamp, as another poster put it. We are very comfortable/blessed, but we are worried that the Park Cities is an area where there is a lot more "old money", which isnt us. The Preston Hollow/private school route seems like it might be a better fit for us, but we are definitely still researching, so please keep the info coming. We didnt post this to be braggy, that is for sure - we are trying to find somewhere where we will be very comfortable with other people like us (not saying race or economic, but same value systems, focus on family, conservative, etc.), lots of kids, great academics, etc. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 AM

236 posts, read 1,203,132 times
Oh, my stupid post was actually just out of curiosity. This forum has been of great assistance to me, and you almost have to be pretty personal to get the best information regarding your current situation.

I'm fresh out of college and early in my professional career, so I was just wondering more than anything. Definitely was not trying to hint at any kind of bragging or anything.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
This is all very interesting and helpful. One of the reasons we wanted to post anonymous and put our income is that my husband feels that is actually not a high income for the Park Cities. He doesnt want us to feel somewhat "poor" keeping up with the Jones' and in a house that is small on a stamp, as another poster put it. We are very comfortable/blessed, but we are worried that the Park Cities is an area where there is a lot more "old money", which isnt us. The Preston Hollow/private school route seems like it might be a better fit for us, but we are definitely still researching, so please keep the info coming. We didnt post this to be braggy, that is for sure - we are trying to find somewhere where we will be very comfortable with other people like us (not saying race or economic, but same value systems, focus on family, conservative, etc.), lots of kids, great academics, etc. thanks
If you want the larger lot then West Plano is NOT the spot for you. The houses are closer together than in the Park Cities and some barely have room to walk out into the yard and turn around. Preston Hollow and Lakewood have the larger lots w/ the mature trees of the two. If you are going to go the private school route as you don't want DISD then I'd highly recommend Lakewood for the more "down to earth" vibe and feel. There are a lot of young families in the Lakewood area as well.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:03 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
hmmm.... based on what you just wrote and wanting close access to the airport etc., maybe Southlake, as has been mentioned, would be most appropriate. I think you would find it to be consevative, family-oriented, good schools and less "old money." I am not familiar enough with Fort Worth neighborhoods to make any recommendations. You probably just need to get down here and look around and see how you feel about the several areas you are considering. Have you guys made such an "in person" visit to scout around yet?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
As far as crime goes................ BE SMART!!!!

It happens everywhere and NOWHERE is 100% crime free.

The story last week about her $90K ring has some issues as far as I'm concerned. She didn't think the guy was bad because he was "dressed nice". That makes NO DIFFERENCE!!!! The bum on the street can be a lot safer than some well dressed people.
Yes, I realize it happens everywhere. I lived in NYC for years, so I'm pretty good at knowing my surroundings. But there are areas with more and those with less, and I'm looking for less. No guarantee anywhere of course (I was broken into in a very nice home I owned, yet was never broken into when I lived in a "worse" area before that).

I read the woman's account of the incident above in her own words, and she didn't say anything about not thinking he was bad. She said she was putting her cart up on the curb by the side of the store and he stepped right in front of her, and asked if she needed help. She said no, and then asked if he'd like her cart at which point he yelled yes, threw the cart over and knocked her to the ground. She blogged about the incident.

But anyway, I just want to know whether that is more the exception or the norm in that area. I wouldn't stay only within HP limits living there, so the surrounding area crime is important too (and as you said, they can cross over too!). Just surprised me to read about all those incidents so close together.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
If you want the larger lot then West Plano is NOT the spot for you. The houses are closer together than in the Park Cities and some barely have room to walk out into the yard and turn around. Preston Hollow and Lakewood have the larger lots w/ the mature trees of the two. If you are going to go the private school route as you don't want DISD then I'd highly recommend Lakewood for the more "down to earth" vibe and feel. There are a lot of young families in the Lakewood area as well.

What are you talking about? There are houses on more than half an acre where I live (in West Plano). Yeah, some of them are stacked together, but there are plenty that give you large lot sizes and mature tree growth. And unlike Lakewood, skankiness is far, far away.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Just to clarify (as I said the "postage stamp"), the lots are at that price range, but the homes (to me anyway) are beautiful. They are well over 4,000 sq. ft (which at least to me is plenty), and beautiful quality and details. It's just the lots which are small.

I can only tell you what I"m finding by research and visiting, but I do not think you'd feel "poor" in Park Cities--certainly no more poor than Preston Hollow with kids in private (tons of extremely wealthy go this route too). There will be the absolutely loaded old money there, but everything I've heard is that there are also plenty of people not only at your income level, but well below it. There are people who live in the absolute least expensive homes there so their kids can get the great HP education. There are people who have lived there for many many years so didn't pay current prices (even adjusted for inflation). There are 2-income families who can afford a $1million home, but they both work and it's a stretch for them. There aren't any seriously poor of course and there are things to consider there (being in the city, lack of ethnic diversity, etc) but I really don't think your income would be an issue unless you really care about keepign up with the Jones'. Like anywhere, you find people you like. There would be people who spend and show it, but as long as you don't feel like you need to prove your wealth, it wouldn't matter.

Tha'ts my take on it anyway. There are lots of good threads on this very subject.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Yes, I realize it happens everywhere. I lived in NYC for years, so I'm pretty good at knowing my surroundings. But there are areas with more and those with less, and I'm looking for less. No guarantee anywhere of course (I was broken into in a very nice home I owned, yet was never broken into when I lived in a "worse" area before that).

I read the woman's account of the incident above in her own words, and she didn't say anything about not thinking he was bad. She said she was putting her cart up on the curb by the side of the store and he stepped right in front of her, and asked if she needed help. She said no, and then asked if he'd like her cart at which point he yelled yes, threw the cart over and knocked her to the ground. She blogged about the incident.

But anyway, I just want to know whether that is more the exception or the norm in that area. I wouldn't stay only within HP limits living there, so the surrounding area crime is important too (and as you said, they can cross over too!). Just surprised me to read about all those incidents so close together.

Watch the news reports. She DID state that she thought he was "safe" because he was "dressed nice". I saw it the first time it aired. She DID mention that.

This incident is NOT the norm for that area at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What are you talking about? There are houses on more than half an acre where I live (in West Plano). Yeah, some of them are stacked together, but there are plenty that give you large lot sizes and mature tree growth. And unlike Lakewood, skankiness is far, far away.
Very, VERY few houses in West Plano have large lots. Some homes of the "estate" homes in such as Willow Bend and such do have larger lots but they are going to be over the $1M budget. However, the average lot size in West Plano after the house is built leaves very little yard.

I guess I don't mind the "skankiness".
FYI, where do you think the area retail workers live, btw? They sure can't afford to live in the single family housing of West Plano. Most likely they live in those "skankier" areas of the metroplex. So you ARE around them.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Watch the news reports. She DID state that she thought he was "safe" because he was "dressed nice". I saw it the first time it aired. She DID mention that.

This incident is NOT the norm for that area at all.

Very, VERY few houses in West Plano have large lots. Some homes of the "estate" homes in such as Willow Bend and such do have larger lots but they are going to be over the $1M budget. However, the average lot size in West Plano after the house is built leaves very little yard.

I guess I don't mind the "skankiness".
FYI, where do you think the area retail workers live, btw? They sure can't afford to live in the single family housing of West Plano. Most likely they live in those "skankier" areas of the metroplex. So you ARE around them.
When we were looking for houses (certainly under a million), we found many listings with 0.3 to .5 acres in West Plano.

Yes...keep the skankiness over there, please!

Sorry...I just like things and peeps where I live to look nice. And I like not having to worry about my home, my kids, my dogs, walking outside at night, etc...

Old 02-03-2010, 11:31 AM

14 posts, read 36,266 times
While I acknowledge that a $600k annual income and $1MM housing is a very comfortable one, I would not seek to live in HP under these constraints. As long as you live near the North Tollway (Prestonwood, Far North Dallas, West Plano), getting to DFW is easy. Also, the George Bush Tollway is an even easier access route to DFW.

$1MM will get you a decent lot and house in Far North Dallas/West Plano, not so much in HP. All the lots that border White Rock Creek in north Dallas and Plano have a decent sized lot then a great greenbelt or golf course view (land that you enjoy but are not taxed on).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas