Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 PM

236 posts, read 1,202,698 times

Advertisements

So... our lease ends on May 31. There is this place some of you may know by all my posts here Manchester State Thomas that is available for move in June 8 (we'd probably move in on Friday or Saturday June 11/12).

So that's almost 2 weeks after our current lease ends at our current community. Do apartments ever let you extend your lease out for a week or two or am I going to be laughed at if I even bring this up to them?

Hoping someone here has experienced something similar.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 10:43 PM

702 posts, read 2,722,310 times
Have you given your 60 day notice of move-out? I have a lease that ends at the end of this month, so I called the leasing office to tell them that I was for sure moving out when my lease expired. Well, it turns out that I was supposed to have given them a 60-day notice and they said that I would have to pay for the remaining time (April and a week of May) at Market rate since I wouldnt have a lease. I recently turned 24 so this is all new to me.. apartment living is complicated!!

But to answer your question, they may let you extend your lease at market rate if they havent already leased it out to someone.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 PM

I move out May 31 so my 60 day notice hasn't come up yet... but I did know about this for some reason (I'm 23 and new to this too haha that's why you see all my stupid posts on this forum.. they're really helpful here)

I called and she said no problem. We'd pay the price of our current rent.. prorated from May 31 to whatever date we move out. She laughed "what you think we'd just kick you out with nowhere to go?"

Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
WELL--She may have laughed because you called early enough that she did not have another renter lined up
my son was in situation where they gave notice and THOUGHT they had an apt lined up--when his girlfriend went to sign the lease she was told that the renter in that (new) apt was not going to move out until two weeks later--could they just extend their move-out date at their current/expiring apt

needless to say they could not and wound up moving into one that did have available unit in general area...but not one they would have chosen otherwise...

Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 AM

146 posts, read 437,370 times
Of course, it varies but in my experience the property manager allowed me to stay beyond the end of the lease period, but prorated my monthly rent. For example, if your rent is $930 a month, you may pay $30 per day for the extension. All depends on their individual policy and whether or not they have someone else waiting to move into your unit. Best wishes!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 AM

146 posts, read 437,370 times
Oops. Just saw you've already called. Great.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:53 AM

It would be cool if they did the same thing but backwards...

As in lease ends on May 31 and you move out on May 20 and get 11 days of prorated rent $ back in your pocket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas