Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 12:45 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,092 times

Advertisements

We are putting my mother's home up for sale (she is finally ready to downsize at age 81!)

Problem is -- she was a heavy smoker until she stopped five years ago, and the house unfortunately retains a strong smoke odor.

What are we looking at to get the smoke smell out? It's a given that the carpet will have to be replaced, and the air ducts cleaned. I'm thinking we will need to seal and paint the walls, too.

In addition, my mother-in-law had her home "ozoned" after she stopped smoking. Can anyone recommend the name of a reputable company that will do this (pm is fine)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM

164 posts, read 590,403 times
Painting the walls/ceilings and replacing the carpet will take care of most of the smell. I opened windows when weather permitted. Put dryer sheets, such as Bounce, in the closets..they seem to take the smell away in closed places. That's what I did, but it takes time. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:56 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
I smoke in my apartment, and although it doesn't smell to my landlord it smells to me, perhaps its because of my couches, but I did some research online and came across this page.

Healthy Home and Auto

I haven't purchased this yet because I'm not due to move out until June, but I did tell my landlord about it and she seemed to be interested in them. I'm also going to try these on my car.

Hope that helps a little. I'm not sure that just painting really gets rid of much smell. I've moved into apartments before where I was well aware the previous tenant smoked and they changed the carpets and repainted and you could still smell it. I think you really have to scrub the walls as well as repaint because the tar and nicotine sticks to the walls/ceilings/etc. I would try these out as it seems to clean everything....kind of like when you bug bomb a home.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I got rid of the smoke smell in my condo by repainting the living room, having the carpets and floors deep cleaned, and by putting bowls of vinegar everywhere.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:02 AM

41 posts, read 136,063 times
Another vote for vinegar. Cheapest fix I know. I was skeptical at first, but it worked better than anything I tried. I actually was looking for a way to clean an apt. toilet that had the worst buildup I had ever seen. The harshest chemicals I could find did nothing. I let vinegar set for 10 min. and the bowl was like new. So then I used it for everything. It took tar stains off the blinds. Smoke smell out of the carpet. And boiling it on the stove will do wonders for the air. So if other things fail, give vinegar a try. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:10 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
There is special paint to prevent smoke stains from coming through to the new paint. My landlord used it when we moved in. There were 3 smokers living here and a cat in a one bedroom apartment! He did not allow smokers or cats and only okayed 2 of the people to be living here. :/ Sorry I don't know the name or brand of the paint and I know you're looking for smell reduction but I thought this was something you should consider, too. Maybe ask Home Depot about the paint?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:53 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Mom always used vinegar to get rid of odors. We've also used charcoal. Which even worked after we'd moved out of our old house and a mama raccoon moved in to the chimney and gave birth to two pups before she was "trapped and relocated" and we unfortunately didn't find out until too late.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM

30 posts, read 184,735 times
Default get away from smoke smell

To smoke without any bad smell, you can smoke with the electronic cigarettes which does not provide any odor. So you can smell good and the place and property around you does not stink.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 PM

869 posts, read 2,955,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankscott147 View Post
To smoke without any bad smell, you can smoke with the electronic cigarettes which does not provide any odor. So you can smell good and the place and property around you does not stink.
I think the problem is that mom's already smoked in this place for years...little late for the electronic cigarettes..

Old 04-14-2010, 10:26 PM

307 posts, read 1,097,611 times
Before I bought my previous house the previous occuptuants (tenants from hell.. lets just say the neighbors THANKED me for moving in, as the tenants racked up $1k in HOA fines) smoked everything and anything in my house. I had all the walls repainted, and replaced the carpets and all was well. I didn't bother with the air ducts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas