Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 10:33 AM

572 posts, read 1,299,466 times

Advertisements

I'm a renter in Beavercreek, OH. My landlord is selling the house. I like our landlord, I have no issues with him. We pay our rent, we have a small Siberian Husky (under 30 pounds), two kids, and are a military couple. We don't normally rent homes when we live at bases, because you can get so much more when you buy, but this was a really short assignment.

Anyway, since my landlord has decided to sell the house when the lease is up, people have been going through the home. I don't mind showing the home, even though it's a disruption. The last person who looked at our home was quite rude to me, and I'm a little bit upset about it.

First off, the person came through the house, and asked who the neighbor's were (we live on a relatively quiet street). I put my dog on a leash, because I know not everyone are dog lovers, and I was on my way out the door to pick up my daughter from preschool. I told her that we were military, that my husband was here on a short assignment. I replied that there are two elderly couples living across the street and next door, they are in their 60s-70s. We are the only people with children. The realtor was petting my dog, and the "buyer" kept her distance, and said, I would pet her but I got my face bitten off. She then said, "damn military people and their dogs."

She looked down her nose at me the entire time she was in MY house. This is not a poor neighborhood, the house is a nice house. We are a nice couple. My dog wasn't the one "who bit her face off." I'm afraid that she's going to complain to our landlord that I was rude to her (which I was not, considering what she said to me), and if there is any recourse for it. We have a very good relationship with our landlord, I don't want some witchy potential buyer to ruin that relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:07 AM

235 posts, read 434,877 times
Default Some people are just rude and snobby.

Hon, don't let it bother you. JPeople like that just need to be ignored. The realator witnessed everything, and I'm sure would back you up if there are any questions. And if she was rude to you, she probably was the same way to your landlord.
If she doesn;t like military families, she lives in the wrong area. She needs to move somewhere out in the sticks. . Military and ex-military have always been more than welcome here. I;m just glad your chikdren were not here. IMO, anyone who doesn't like dogs probably doenn't like kids either. Just do like I do, which has helped me deal with a lot of people, consider yourself the better person. She doesn'tdeserve the respect.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 AM

572 posts, read 1,299,466 times
Default Another landlord issue--question.. Are we being unreasonable?

My husband is in the military-- coming up on 14 years. He is at AFIT doing a one year assignment. Our landlord is selling the house after our lease is up in June (that's another story in itself). The house is listed right now. We have a 7 year old child with autism, who gets very upset when people come to look at the house. We have requested that showings be schedule while he is in school or before 6:45 PM during the week, as to not disrupt my son's schedule. I get the house as prepared as possible for realtors to show the house, but I'm busy getting ready to move as well.

Anyway, last night, a realtor called and asked to see the house at 6:00 PM, 6:00 PM rolls around she wants to see it at 6:30 PM. They show up at 7:00 PM. We refuse to let them in, as we have a written agreement with the landlord that no one is to look at the house after 6:45 PM. Is that unreasonable? Or should we have let them in?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
My husband is in the military-- coming up on 14 years. He is at AFIT doing a one year assignment. Our landlord is selling the house after our lease is up in June (that's another story in itself). The house is listed right now. We have a 7 year old child with autism, who gets very upset when people come to look at the house. We have requested that showings be schedule while he is in school or before 6:45 PM during the week, as to not disrupt my son's schedule. I get the house as prepared as possible for realtors to show the house, but I'm busy getting ready to move as well.

Anyway, last night, a realtor called and asked to see the house at 6:00 PM, 6:00 PM rolls around she wants to see it at 6:30 PM. They show up at 7:00 PM. We refuse to let them in, as we have a written agreement with the landlord that no one is to look at the house after 6:45 PM. Is that unreasonable? Or should we have let them in?

No, it is not unreasonable, especially since you have special needs that others don't. I bet that realtor isn't late again, either.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 PM

235 posts, read 434,877 times
Call the landlord and explain what is happening. Maybe he can stress on the realtor that you need more notice, and you have small children and cannot accommodate "visitors" after 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: