Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times

Advertisements

Dayton is certainly big enough to have a responsible local forum where people exchange ideas and, more important, information (even villages have them), but where is it?

Now, no one suggest anything like the Dayton Daily News -- not only was that seriously (and uselessly) tried for a long time, but even the DDN has given up trying to get something responsible out of reader comments.

And, no one suggest anything like some special interest group. This search is not for any special interest be it hobbycraft, churchy, political, neighborhood, school, business, union or what have you. The search is for a general community message board regardless of how small or large.

And, no one suggest that there is one for such and such suburban town. The search is for a Dayton message board, suburbanites welcome if they care to associate.

(All suggestions seriously considered even if not used.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 11:02 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,703,638 times
DaytonMostMetro.com Forum - Index (http://www.daytonmostmetro.com/forum/ - broken link)

And it looks like this site has a comprehensive reference to local blogs:

Dayton Blogs | DaytonMostMetro.com | Things to do in Dayton

Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 28,873 times
I would recommend Dayton Most Metro as well but I had no luck being able to join. When I tried I had technical issues and no activation email would send. I tried contacting them several times but I never got a response. It may just be me but let me know if you are able to join with no problems. Or if anyone knows why I'm having issues, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Well, I looked at the suggested site, in fact twice.

It's heavy on entertainment and "stuff to do," which is understandable. It also drifts well past "Dayton," which is likewise understandable. And, it's not without merit. (In fact, the blogs even include Esrati, which says something, although it does not include a couple of things I do explore.)

It's not day-to-day living. For comparison:

While, sadly, it seems this has been discontinued (or continued in some other way) and it's pictures not discussion, the viewpoint here is different:

Photos from the streets of Dayton, Ohio USA

Let's see if there are some other suggestions. And, SoHo, if I do sign up and get in, I'll post here and send you a private message (which you should get in your email if you set up your system that way).

Okay?

Old 08-14-2011, 06:14 PM

CarpathianPeasant I've seen that blog when I was searching for other blogs that blog about Dayton and the surrounding areas. I recently moved back here from Cleveland. I used to live on the Westside and now I live in the Oregon District. I'm pretty familar with the whole Dayton area and the blog that you posted gives a more urban decay view of Dayton which is a reality for all cities. Since I've moved back, though, I've been impressed with the efforts by Dayton to make the area engaging, specifically downtown. In fact, I started my own blog at ilovesooh.com which focuses on finding local places and events to check out and also includes other things to do in Southern Ohio.

I'm curious to know what you are looking for in particular. What sort of topics are you interested in reading and discussing regarding Dayton?

And yes, if you sign-up I would very much appreciate a message, thanks!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 PM

I just thought of another forum urbanohio.com

I don't know much about their forum but maybe it's worth checking out.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOh View Post
CarpathianPeasant I've seen that blog when I was searching for other blogs that blog about Dayton and the surrounding areas. I recently moved back here from Cleveland. I used to live on the Westside and now I live in the Oregon District. I'm pretty familar with the whole Dayton area and the blog that you posted gives a more urban decay view of Dayton which is a reality for all cities. Since I've moved back, though, I've been impressed with the efforts by Dayton to make the area engaging, specifically downtown. In fact, I started my own blog at ilovesooh.com which focuses on finding local places and events to check out and also includes other things to do in Southern Ohio.

I'm curious to know what you are looking for in particular. What sort of topics are you interested in reading and discussing regarding Dayton?

And yes, if you sign-up I would very much appreciate a message, thanks!

First let me apologize for getting your ID name wrong. By the time I saw it, it was too late to change it. (There is something like SoHo in this world!)

What he was trying to do with "Real Dayton" was not exactly "urban decay."

From a strictly business point of view, a town like Richmond, Indiana, is just as important as, say, Springfield, Ohio, in fact, possibly more so, because the distance from Richmond to Indianapolis is nearly twenty-five miles farther than the distance from Springfield to Columbus.

Now, all such smaller and old, established towns have their assorted businesses, but if the people there want something for which they need a bigger town, Dayton was the place or at least a place.

If you look through something like the Dayton Daily News, you don't see very much at all about Richmond. And, why?

Cox is a big, nation-wide business. And, they have aimed for the entire region, that's why things like the WHIO television tower was built and aimed to reach the entire Miami Valley. BUT, by the local readership it is also expected to be politically oriented. Old-timers have in mind that when James M. Cox ran for president, his vice-presidential running mate was Franklin Delano Roosevelt and all that stuff. Votes in Richmond are meaningless in Columbus. People in such places do follow the Dayton media and sometimes that in Cincinnati. Local readership isn't interested in them and neither are many advertisers, particularly those to the east.

Local readers (some of them) and advertisers are interested in Beavercreek, Centerville, etc, (not so true of Oakwood) and the 160,000 or whatever people in Dayton can drop dead, especially since many of them haven't subscribed for maybe a generation or two and since the city governmental structure is complex.

One would think that something that calls itself the Dayton Daily News would have it's focus on incorporated Dayton. That hasn't been so for a long time. What the blog was saying was, if you are talking "Dayton" this is what's news not to mention what is. If you read the text that went with the pictures, it's often what a city resident would say, i.e. why doesn't someone do something with this building, it a nice building or when are the cops going to do something about this....

And, just as an aside, from a business point of view, if Cox is going to be regional, they would also go a little farther south, like south of the Hamilton county line. Well, they aren't going to do that, either. The advertising and readership that could be pulled out of Cincinnati isn't worth the effort.

You say you used to live on the Westside. West Side, really, is south of Wolf creek and there isn't a lot left there. I'm assuming you mean either Northwest (Dayton View, etc.) or the FROC area. Oregon is different.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOh View Post
I just thought of another forum urbanohio.com

I don't know much about their forum but maybe it's worth checking out.
Thanks. I looked at that thing some time ago, more specifically the picture gallery. They had at least one picture in the wrong neighborhoold (they put the buildings in what some think is a better adjacent neighborhood). It hasn't been corrected, and it's been maybe six months ago that I looked.

Also notably missing was a section for Residence Park with it's classy-looking stone gates, known by anyone who runs up and down North Gettysburg Avenue to the V.A. At least I assume those are still there. It would be a job to get rid of them and no reason for doing so.

It's nicely but not exactly knowledgeably done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton