Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 PM

8 posts, read 12,943 times

Advertisements

Okay, now how do I delete this?!?!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:46 AM

450 posts, read 1,059,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernViews88 View Post
I am a section 8 tenant and my former landlord is jeopardizing my current living situation.

I leased a duplex from said landlord in 2006, I signed a 1 year lease and afterwards went to a month to month basis.
When I decided to move, I gave a 30 day notice. I vacated the premises April 30, 2009.

Now, 2 years later she has written a letter to my current landlord and rental assistance company stating that there are monies owed to her.
I received a letter from the former landlord with itemized statements on what she "believes" I owe.
There are multiple false charges on said letter.

She states that I didn't vacate the premises until May 2, 2009 which is a lie. I received the keys to my current home on April 28th, 2009 and my property was moved from the unit before April 30th. Upon returning to the unit on April 30th, 2009 in the evening to clean the unit I discovered the locks had been changed. It is my understanding that I had until 11:59pm on April 30th, 2009 to clean the unit and leave the keys when I was finished.

Therefore, she is trying to charge for the month of May in rent, NOT cleaning the unit, and for the new locks.
(May Rent-$545, Cleaning-$119.00 Carpet cleaning-$42.00; Rekey/New locks-$19.99)
While living in said unit, the smoke detector in the basement was old, and when I changed the batteries once the "tooth" on the wall plate designed to hold alarm on the wall broke, I notified her and she said she would replace it, and never did so.. And now is charging me for "broken alarm-$7.99
She claims there were repairs to be made to the drywall in the unit, and that I'm to pay fr that...if so fine. But she is also requesting that I pay for the painting of the unit-$137. Isn't it routine to freshly paint a unit when a new tenant is moving in? Especially when the former tenant resided there for 3 years?!?!

Total monies requested $752.16
She claims I only gave her $489 in security deposit. Not true!

What are my rights, she claims if I don't pay this money she will have my rental company terminate my assistance, and I will be homeless. I'm a mother of 2, and don't have this kind of money to hand out.
What is preventing you from getting off public housing assistance? If you have income, there are enough options in this distressed housing market that you should be able to buy your own place. There are plenty of owner hold mortgages, rent to own, lease purchases, assumable mortgages, short sales, etc. etc. around today. There is a good chance your landlord is bluffing just to see if see can squeeze some money out of you.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,403 times
That is great Southerview, I didn't realize that it had been that long and your rental company. And they are correct about the statute of limitations. And that she would need to prove the dispute.

I had a landlord that made threats against me also because I was trying to go to Fair Housing Mediation because he was not fulfilling the lease. I told him to go ahead and evict me if he was so sure I was breaching the lease myself. He wouldn't do it because 1. He didn't want to spend the $150.00 for the fee to file. 2. He knew He had broken the lease with code violations and the judge would condemn his property with fire violations and safety codes. 3. He knew I had not done anything wrong to violate my portion of the lease.

So I was able to leave the property with a 30 day written notice that I was vacating and why. I didn't get my deposit back, but that was okay. It was worth getting away from that slum lord. I have now been in this house for 7 years, I purchased it on land contract 4.5 years ago and it will be paid off in 1 year. So it all worked out for the good.
So it there can always work out for the good, so hang in there.
Take care!
Cally63

Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
What is preventing you from getting off public housing assistance? If you have income, there are enough options in this distressed housing market that you should be able to buy your own place. There are plenty of owner hold mortgages, rent to own, lease purchases, assumable mortgages, short sales, etc. etc. around today. There is a good chance your landlord is bluffing just to see if see can squeeze some money out of you.
That is a VERY RUDE question. My finances is NONE of your buissness, and I am deeply bothered by your assumption, in said assumption, you've mad an ass of yourself. Very rude. Very.

I DO NOT feel compelled to answer your question.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
That is a VERY RUDE question. My finances is NONE of your buissness, and I am deeply bothered by your assumption, in said assumption, you've mad an ass of yourself. Very rude. Very.

I DO NOT feel compelled to answer your question.
I'm not assuming anything about you. All I'm suggesting is that if renting is such a hassle, wouldn't it be better for you to own your own place. I didn't ask about your finances or anything else about you for that matter, but your strongly negative reaction to my suggestion tells me that there is more to this than you're sharing in your post.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I'm not assuming anything about you. All I'm suggesting is that if renting is such a hassle, wouldn't it be better for you to own your own place. I didn't ask about your finances or anything else about you for that matter, but your strongly negative reaction to my suggestion tells me that there is more to this than you're sharing in your post.
Just because a person HAS income, doesn't mean it's enough to purchase a home. Moron.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Just because a person HAS income, doesn't mean it's enough to purchase a home. Moron.
Your inability to respond without attacking me shows who the real moron is. You've established the fact that you don't have enough money to own a house. Judging from your spelling and grammer you also establish the fact that you don't have enough education to construct a sentence either.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Your inability to respond without attacking me shows who the real moron is. You've established the fact that you don't have enough money to own a house. Judging from your spelling and grammer you also establish the fact that you don't have enough education to construct a sentence either.
Bug off idiot.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 AM

235 posts, read 434,772 times
Xyner's approach was very wrong. But can I give you a piece of info? If you look for a home that is being sold by an owner, you may be able to go land contract for a lot cheaper than paying rent. You have to be careful tho that it is someone reputable. You'd be surprised how much cheaper it is than rent. We paid rent for years, until we found a house being sold land contract. Granted, the first year was close to what we were paying for rent, but after we went ot our CU and got it financed, our payments dropped over 50%.
There are alos some new houses being built all over the city with fairly cheap rents. And if you live in the house 15 years, you can buy it for whatever the balance is. A large portion of your rent goes for your down payment. You may want to look into those.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:34 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Thread closed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton