Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 12:47 PM

294 posts, read 515,795 times

Advertisements

Can someone define this for me ? Maybe even post a picture example. Would the are around Braddock and LaPlanta be considered crackerbox, or are we talking earlier than these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:06 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,355 times
Yeah, roughly. Mainly it refers to frame homes under 1200 SF. These seem to have brick trim.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:16 PM

...and probably on a slab which should not be allowed in tornado alley.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:04 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
Yup, those are good examples of cracker boxes. They are not unique to the area, as I believe they were popular in the post-war housing boom. Easy to build, cheap construction and high-density equals a builders dream. Don't think there are as many examples out west except perhaps LA? I can think of places in Long Island and around DC that have these style of homes too.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:36 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,355 times
Here is a stretch of homes that I would call crackerboxes (the east side of the street, obviously). I grew up close to here and houses like these always made me feel claustrophobic even to look at.

https://maps.google.com/maps?num=100...ilmington+Pike

Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the example Ohioan 58.

I think they have a certain charm...very wonder years. Although they were put up quickly to meet the needs of the wartime boom, I see many areas of these in cities all over Most of NE and midwest US and Canada. Many seemed to be well cared for and in stable communities. I think looking at many near Patterson Park, built by Haverstock and Zengler et. al are very charming. There are some sweet houses in the Yorkshire Place area. It is conceivable that the first family who bought these homes from the builder could still own them.

They seem pretty small to us today, but so many were well raised in those homes, with larger families that we have today.

Life got very good very fast for Americans. Look at the short span of time of housing development say from 1947 to 1970 and the sprawling American dream homes in Brittany Hills type of home.

My impression of Dayton is that it is a picture perfect example of life in America in the past 150 years. it also seems to be more than just a smaller Cincy. i thnk it has a unique identity.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:16 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
It is conceivable that the first family who bought these homes from the builder could still own them.

They seem pretty small to us today, but so many were well raised in those homes, with larger families that we have today.
My grandparents built a house similar to these back in 1958 Poughkeepsie, NY ($19,000 for the house!) and my grandmother still lives there. 4 kids, 2 parents for 6 total occupants in three small bedrooms and 7 rooms total, including the bathroom. 1700-1800sqft finished. The house has been updated over the years (central air came in the late 1990's). They took the screened porch and turned it into a four-season sunroom. It's very nice and many of the homes back there are in similar (or better) shape. There are also some good examples of nice mid-century moderns, one of which is next door and another across the street with amazing wood and creek views. Homes in the neighborhood at the peak of the US housing bubble would be fetching $350K+ but now would probably sell at around $250K-$300K. My grandmother's would probably go for around $275K.

For a comparison to Dayton (well, the Beavercreek suburb of Dayton), our 14 year old 4 bedroom, 13 room home including bathrooms 2600sqft finished plus unfinished basement and two car garage (the NY home has an unfinished walkout basement with one-car garage) would sell for a similar or slightly higher price. We paid in the 230Ks for our home when it was built.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 PM

Yes, I see houses are a good deal right now in Dayton area. Taxes seem high, especially in some areas nearer Cincy.

My father in law bought a crackerbox from a builder in Calgary in 1963. 3 bed 1 bath, unfinished baqsement but with a single garage off the back alley. Was considered far out then but is now considered close. He paid 25 k in 1963 and sold it in 2006 for 750 k. I am not even kidding, It is crazy.

The houses I see in the 1970's executive style areas near the NCR golf courses that are listed in the 300k range would be at least a million in Toronto and Calgary and vancouver... easy.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:23 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Dayton has one of the lowest costs of living in the nation. According to InfoPlease, Dayton's index score is 91.4 on a 100pt scale. The housing score was particularly low, at a 74.5 on the 100pt scale.

Cost of Living Index for Selected U.S. Cities | Infoplease.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton