Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM

294 posts, read 516,282 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that Dayton, and Cincy, have a proliferation of swimming clubs, and swimming pools , for a cities not in the sunbelt. Looking at Columbus and Cleveland, I informally survey that Dayton and Cincy have a much higher concentration of home pools and and swim clubs, seemingly in various economic areas.

Does any one know why this might be ? I love swimming and pools and I am curious. My theory is that from the 1940's onward, pools were outward signs of living the good life. Or people just love swimming in this area. Are there any famous Olympic swimmers from SW Ohio ?

Also, question : Which pool was bigger , the Sunlite pool in Cincy, which is still there or the pool which is no longer in what was the NCR park. And where exactly in the present park was the pool located ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 PM

908 posts, read 1,419,628 times
In recent Olympics, the area has produced people who made the Olympic qualifying finals, but not the actual Olympic team. I'm not sure why swimming is so prevalent here, but there were more when I was little about 20 years ago. At least at one time, doing competitive swimming in high school no matter how bad you were was an easy way to a good academic scholarship. I mean, these weren't people who were going to swim in college, but that philanthropists just gave money to swimmers.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:58 PM

Curious. That is something I had not expected.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:59 PM

55 posts, read 102,472 times
Really? I have noticed that Dayton doesn't have many public pools AT ALL. At least, not the kind there are in larger cities like New York or Boston (they are generally free of charge and open until at least 8pm). Swimming is one of my favorite activities in the world, and the closest one to me hasn't been open in ages (across from the Stivers School on 5th). The only "public" swimming pool is in Dayton Towers. <WINK> I thought Kettering Rec was essentially my only choice beside the Y (the Downtown Y actually has lovely aquatic facilities!).

Maplelady, where are these pools you speak of? It's getting hot in here!

Thank you,
Lucy

Old 06-17-2013, 05:28 PM

Well, most are at private residences. Also, so many swim clubs in the subdivisions.

Don't know about public pools but locals will know.

Seems to me there use to be swim clubs along the river 100 years ago to mid century.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM

There is a big pool on Chapel Lane behind Airways Shopping Centre. Don't know if it is public or military or [art of a complex.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 PM

If you google pools in Dayton yjere are lots od splash pads but there are spme pools listed.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:07 PM

55 posts, read 102,472 times
Hey there,

I have been searching the web for public pools, and the only proper public pool I've found is the Fairview Pool. I am surprised, coming from a larger city where they are all over the place, that this isn't rather common. Another reason to get that membership at the Y! The pool at the one downtown is lovely.

--L

Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,088,153 times
I would say public pools are rare to non-existent in the area. Greene County closed their pools for a while because of the recession ($$$ issues). Insurance is another reason. They might have reopened the Xenia one. Still, they charge a small fee for usage, I think. Discounts for county residents.

There are, however, a number of decent private swim clubs in the area. I remember a number in Beavercreek growing up. We were members of Idle Hour and Greene Valley. There is also Cardinal and Woodhaven. Add these to the former Y (now owned by the Raiders Swim Club) and there are quite a few areas to swim (if you have money).

Kettering Rec is also basically in the SW corner of Beavercreek, and we went there a number of times too.

Does anyone know if CCN has a pool?
Edit: They do.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,553,942 times
MapleLady - I don't really know how this area compares to others -- so I will go on your word that there are a lot in this area.

As someone who moved here from the Detroit area (where most cities of any size had their own public pool as part of their recreational facilities) -- keep in mind it is HOT here during the summer. It gets humid early, and 80+ can happen as early as May and last through late September.

So, unlike people in Michigan (where still - some homeowners do put in pools) - a home pool here could realistically be used May through September.

Most "public" pools I've heard of (in Cinci) are Memorial Day through Labor Day - which is the same schedule that Michigan employs.

I would imagine pools are popular simply because they are a quick way to cool off, and before mandatory full house AC, it was probably a way to make summer life more tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton