Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Pair that with the fact that the central post office in the area is closing in 2015.
That is going to suck, it had been considered a few years back, hate to see it close and the job losses that go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 05:31 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Reading between the lines....costs have increased, and the owner is trying to unload the building:

Downtown Dayton apartment conversion project gets new tax credits - Dayton Business Journal

"....but the project scope grew, and the new award is now higher, said Brian West, current owner of the building. West is talking with developer Peter Jobson with Excel Realty Group to sell the building.....“I’m hoping this gets my project moving again,” West said."

And:

"....But while many similar conversion projects are on the table for downtown, most are still months away from getting off the ground."

Maybe months, maybe years, maybe never. This reminds me of The Merc. It never did get off the ground, and the developer was experienced in doing conversion work, having done those lofts across 2nd from Cooper Park.

After the first wave of loft conversion things stalled and projects never played out...despite the touted high demand for downtown housing.

This is sounding familiar.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:37 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
^Yep, that looks likely. Didn't catch that earlier.

Water St's success is going to be crucial. And the new library too. Because with current demand, the David Building should be a viable project.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 PM

Nice effort in the inner east side:

Eclectic market hopes to revitalize Third Street in Dayton - Dayton Business Journal

Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,449,247 times
Yeah, that sounds pretty cool.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:08 AM

Bike share!

Want to design the logo for Dayton?s bike share? Now is your chance - Dayton Business Journal

Heard rumors that one was coming, glad to see they are actually true.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,449,247 times
It could be really nice. I am pretty sure Cincinnati just started theirs.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:24 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
My short comment on the OP from someone who works at the base (but is not in the discussed demographic)

1) Many of the engineers etc. that work at the base are locals and most grew up in a suburb, went to suburb schools and have midwestern cultural attitudes about family including neighborhoods and schools. Not only that but many are 2nd generation employees. I've not seen a lot of care about Dayton. They are suburbanites. I'm not sure they really connect to Dayton much at all. The newer employees who are not from Dayton I think tend to Beavercreek, Centerville, Springboro for schools and commutability. Locals coming back to Dayton or never lefts may end up in Oakwood or Kettering.

2) Many of the military who elect to come back here and work at the base are former locals. Above applies. Ones who elect to come back or stay because it is central to family in PA or KY etc. Also choose the near/good school suburbs as they have families.

The one young, single, post school employee engineer that I know that lived downtown has, after 10 years? less? moved to DC. Another Californian native after some years is now back in California. I can probably think of more examples if I try. I.e. those that come here and like urban downtown areas often seem to eventually seek civil service employment somewhere there is existing urban living.

There just isn't enough of a downtown area to fill what they are looking for. The Oregon district "downtown" is pretty tiny.

Personnel at the base are by and large extremely conservative, republican.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:31 AM

^True to some extent. But the Air Force is becoming more diverse, both in political spectrum and background.

More people are and staying single longer, even in the military where fewer people in the military getting married early (positives and negatives there, although the biggest positive is fewer of these): The Dependapotmus: The Military’s Parasite Problem | Thought Catalog

This means those same people want dynamic places to live where they can find other singles. Beavercreek, aside from possibly the Greene, is not that place. And the longer amounts of time it takes people to get married now mean longer amounts of time people are going to want to live in a dynamic community for single people which means more demand in those areas. This also increases the likelihood these people would like to stay in urban areas once they get married, or even "urban suburbs" like Oakwood.

So I'm hoping the trends continue, and more people on both sides of the political aisle see the value of strong, urban communities.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:29 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
You say its happening but I work there daily and I sure don't see it. All our young airman but one or two are married. Some of the young civilians are still single but many are in long term relationships and all live in suburbs. The one I know from the east coast who went to a big urban school, single, is seriously miserable here and wants nothing but to leave. They can't hardly even get a cab here after having a few drinks.

I'm not the right demographic other than being single. I would consider urban, think it would be better for me as a single yes. But I just can't abid the tiny lots and often only on street parking that go with the otherwise lovely old homes.

I do wish for all the midwestern and great plains cities do turn around. But I think that incomers to fly over areas will often be looking for cheaper safer places to raise a family having gotten the young urban experience under their belt in a coastal city - Boston, NYC, Philly, Miami, New Orleans, Houston, LA, SF, Portland, Seattle or Denver, Chicago - not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton