Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 08:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Ohio in 2024 and so far, all I know is that I am focusing between Dayton and Cincinnati. Leaning toward the eastern side of both but I don't really know why -LOL. I have a daughter who lives in Lebanon, friends and family who live toward Dayton, and a granddaughter who lives in Cincinnati. Help! I am sort of overwhelmed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 10:48 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am moving to Ohio in 2024 and so far, all I know is that I am focusing between Dayton and Cincinnati. Leaning toward the eastern side of both but I don't really know why -LOL. I have a daughter who lives in Lebanon, friends and family who live toward Dayton, and a granddaughter who lives in Cincinnati. Help! I am sort of overwhelmed!
Hi Kathryn! I moved to OH also (from FL), where are you moving from? To help narrow down what kind of environment are you hoping for, and what is important to you besides proximity to your daughter and granddaughter?

Old 01-03-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hi Kathryn! I moved to OH also (from FL), where are you moving from? To help narrow down what kind of environment are you hoping for, and what is important to you besides proximity to your daughter and granddaughter?
Great questions! I am moving from NE Texas (Tyler). I am leaning toward fewer stairs or no stairs, downstairs master or bedroom, newer construction, that sort of thing. Not opposed to a patio home or condo. Downsizing to no less than around 1800 square feet. 2 bedrooms is OK, though not ideal (3 would be best). Two bathrooms. Slab preferred over basement but I'm flexible on that count. I'd like to stay around a max of $350k which can be done from what I can tell. I MUCH prefer a garage over parking on the street or whatever. Must have a fireplace - can be gas or electric (actually prefer those).

Congrats on your move! It's a huge one - I've lived in the Tyler area for over 30 years. Meeting with a realtor next week so there's that! I have already turned in my notice at work and Friday is my last day! I only work part time and do not plan to work in Ohio.

I love the small towns in Ohio.

Old 01-03-2024, 03:37 PM

You might consider inside Cincinnati itself. There are areas of the city that are quite suburban/small town like that offer easy access to desirable amenities like great grocery stores, cultural activities and quality medical care (U of Cincinnati Med Center). This is in such an area (Walnut Hills) and looks ideal for you perhaps.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5?from=srp-map

Old 01-03-2024, 04:50 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Xenia definitely has a small town feel but, TBH, feels more dumpy and there’s not much there compared to Dayton and its suburbs. Beavercreek & Centerville are car-centered with a lot of big box stores and strip malls. They are great for shopping, though. Beavercreek leans heavily towards the Air Force base in demographics. Centerville I don’t know well but you’d have access to the Dayton Mall, Costco, Whole Foods, etc. Dayton proper does have some nice neighborhoods…I’d recommend St Anne’s Hill if you want a Victorian-style neighborhood with a tight neighborhood association; down towards Belmont and Walnut Hills if you want more single-family homes with tree-lines streets.

Old 01-03-2024, 05:56 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
I used to live in Linden Heights in Dayton and loved the neighborhood.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:07 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I am a newbie to the Midwest and to Ohio. California native, prior residence also in AZ (2018-2019), Germany (7 years total, most recently 2020-late 2023), Chile (1971), Colombia (2005-2006), NJ (early 1990s), AL (late 1990s). I list these places so you have an idea of how I look at Ohio.

When I returned to the US in September my aim was to find a place that had access to lots of good bike riding paths (not mountain bike but more like rail-to-trails paths) and reasonably good bike riding on some of the city streets. Reasonable cost of living and access to good medical services and retail stores. Just far enough south to be out of the major snow and ice belt.

I ended up finding a 2 BR apartment, bigger than I needed in a 55+ senior apartment complex in Beavercreek. I'm on the 3rd floor. No neighbor above, and I hear almost nothing from any side neighbor or from outside noise - quietest apartment I've ever lived in in the USA and I've lived in apartments most of my adult life. There are over 100 apartments here in the complex and just one currently vacant. There are a lot of nice and friendly people here who I chat with fairly often.

Comments above from Natural510 sort of line up with my observations. I have ridden my bike all over the area in the past few months on the vast network of bike paths. Xenia is a major hub of bike paths and has some nice areas, but the center part of town seems like lots of section 8 folks hanging around. Yes, Beavercreek is car centered and not walkable because things are very spread out, but for me it is very bike-rideable with a bike path that loops around the entire retail shopping and medical office district. I rarely drive my car to the local stores. I can walk to the Aldi. I have seen some really nice looking Dayton neighborhoods that Natural510 mentioned, largely on the side of town near Kettering (also nice).

Old 01-04-2024, 04:58 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I have ridden my bike all over the area in the past few months on the vast network of bike paths. Xenia is a major hub of bike paths and has some nice areas,
I love the bike trails in and around Dayton. Bicycled out to Xenia before. You can goto Yellowsprings as well, uf you havent made the trip already. Miamisburg as well.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:40 AM

Worth noting as well if seeking a home on a slab foundation that the SE Dayton suburbs are part of a very active tornado alley.

Old 01-04-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Worth noting as well if seeking a home on a slab foundation that the SE Dayton suburbs are part of a very active tornado alley.
Hey, I live in a slab home in NE Texas right now so there's that! LOL I get in my small, windowless, interior room a couple of times a year! (never been hit though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton