Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:44 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
I get what you mean by walking to places once you get there. That makes sense.

But if there's inadequate parking within the city center, then people will just avoid downtown altogether. The parking meters and accompanying meter maids are already a significant disincentive to do business downtown, and it would only worse if downtown's occupancy rate rose.

In order to justify the cost of parking downtown (whether fixed or artificially adjusted due to contrived demand) there has to be some tangible benefit of doing business downtown... In Dayton that's almost nonexistent when the majority of businesses are already located in the suburbs where parking is free.
You have a great point. Why charge for parking when the suburbs don't? Any rational person does not want to have to pay money when they don't have to, and meters and garage fees are a nuisance.

And to be honest, I don't know. How can that hurdle be overcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 02:26 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
How? A new mindset.

Government workers benefit their careers by figuring out how to spend more taxpayer money. There is no interest in streamlining and cutting costs. Budget cuts have to be forced by a higher authority. Meter fees are a revenue stream. The income tax is a revenue stream. Both work to prevent anyone in their right mind either shopping there or locating a business there.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:37 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
You have a great point. Why charge for parking when the suburbs don't? Any rational person does not want to have to pay money when they don't have to, and meters and garage fees are a nuisance.

The only reason why it works in other cities is because the cost of parking is justified by the level of services downtown (businesses, residences, things to do, etc.)

The number one way to get people living downtown again is to clean up the school district... Focus on a couple schools (a la Walnut Hills in Cincinnati) that give people a credible reason to spend their lives in the city and not just the 5 year burr-in-the-butt I want to live in the city while I'm in my early 20's phase.

The problem however isn't money... Dayton Public spends more per pupil than most outlying districts... the issue is accountability.

The state must pass SB5 again and strip the OEA of its chokehold power on the school boards statewide. Hold teachers and especially administrators accountable for the district if it fails. By removing the union chokehold on the public sector, we will free the districts to get rid of the chaff without having a union-fueled fight on their hands every time.

And most importantly, we must work to instill a good work ethic in the formerly-unionized teachers and students.. That will go further than any levy or seminar or pledge to get better.

Until we break up the OEA, education is going to have a difficult time improving, especially in the cities.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:00 PM

^Excellent points you guys.

ID, agreed that government would benefit from someone with a LEAN / cost-cutting perspective rather than having no business knowledge. How to make that happen I don't know (maybe hire people like me and you who have a good business/engineering background and can troubleshoot/brainstorm to determine the best way to leverage efficiency).

Hensleya1, I'd also have to agree but with a caveat. Dayton Public Schools has a disproportionate amount of special needs cases, because a lot of learning disabilities, mental issues, etc. are at least somewhat hereditary. Also These students, even if they did well, receive zero support at home.

This touches on a big, big debate of how to best educate our kids, and honestly I don't know the answers there and have no background in education, but I do think the city is making strides. Check out this recent story from WYSO about a public elementary school in Twin Towers, which teaches a very, very diverse student population:
http://stateimpact.npr.org/ohio/2015...tino-students/

It's worth it to listen to the story rather than just read it if you have the time/ability.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:01 PM

Otherwise, more related directly to the topic of development between Cincinnati and Dayton, a recent update on the article posted in the OP:

Zoo, others developing last land between Dayton, Cincinnati | www.mydaytondailynews.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton