Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 12:28 PM

34 posts, read 39,260 times

Advertisements

What Cities do you think Dayton is most like. I feel Dayton compares well 1.Louisville 2.Toledo 3.Never Been but Columbia South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 03:11 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times
Dayton is unique.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:14 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
A smaller version of Rochester NY without Lake Ontario.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:58 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroDaytonMan View Post
What Cities do you think Dayton is most like. I feel Dayton compares well 1.Louisville 2.Toledo 3.Never Been but Columbia South Carolina.
Dayton is nothing like Louisville. Toledo, yes. Louisville not at all. It will need billions in development and more vibrancy to compete with Louisville.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Dayton is nothing like Louisville. Toledo, yes. Louisville not at all. It will need billions in development and more vibrancy to compete with Louisville.
Not like Toledo, either, apart from a (reported, as I've not explored the matter) sizable Eastern European heritage area.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:03 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Man, Peter must have an alarm set to any time Louisville is mentioned on this website.

Geographically, Dayton reminds me of a smaller version of Portland.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Man, Peter must have an alarm set to any time Louisville is mentioned on this website.

Geographically, Dayton reminds me of a smaller version of Portland.
dayton is more like Allentown PA. From a size standpoint too.

In the south, Little Rock reminds me alot of Dayton, although LR has lots more development and a much better downtown, and even a streetcar.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:19 PM

34 posts, read 39,260 times
I know Louisville is full of themselves, and try's harder than anyone, but don't go comparing Dayton to Allentown. I can understand Little Rock somewhat, Dayton bigger though!

Old 09-02-2016, 11:54 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Every city is to some extent unique, but alternatively, most cities of comparable size and comparable region are... comparable.

Dayton is doing quite well, given that it's a midsized city in the Midwest, and most of its peers are struggling even more. But this is hardly a resounding endorsement. Were I to have had to live somewhere between the Alleghenies and the Rockies, and not allowed to choose a city with more than 200K people, or a college-town (such as Ann Arbor, Michigan), I might very well choose Dayton. But I would resent having those boundary-conditions imposed on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Not like Toledo, either, apart from a (reported, as I've not explored the matter) sizable Eastern European heritage area.
When I first moved to Dayton, in the early 1990s, I was informed of Dayton's colorful and vibrant Eastern European heritage. I expected a smaller version of Brighton Beach, or Hamtramck. Instead I found nothing of the sort. There's a Polish Club and a Lithuanian Club, and The Amber Rose restaurant. But I've yet to come across entire city-blocks with storefront proudly sporting signs in Russian, Polish, Czech, etc., - or even German.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

When I first moved to Dayton, in the early 1990s, I was informed of Dayton's colorful and vibrant Eastern European heritage. I expected a smaller version of Brighton Beach, or Hamtramck. Instead I found nothing of the sort. There's a Polish Club and a Lithuanian Club, and The Amber Rose restaurant. But I've yet to come across entire city-blocks with storefront proudly sporting signs in Russian, Polish, Czech, etc., - or even German.
People worked in the factories and Anglicized their names during the world wars The linguistic churches are a better guide. Three were in North Dayton and two and the start of a third in West Dayton. And, that doesn't include German. There may have been other attempts with which I'm not familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton