Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:39 PM

247 posts, read 363,905 times

Advertisements

For us, the issues with Centerville actually revolve around the schools. The impression I get from online reviews and talking with local friends is that the school system, while one of the top in the area, is overcrowded and tends to focus on the highly gifted academic achievers and athletes, leaving the other students in the background. Their school system website and the sites for each school barely mention their special education policy at all, let alone give any sort of structured program description. Looking at their gifted and athletic programs, though, you'll see multiple pages and many details. All of that gave us grave doubts that our daughter with ADHD would get the kind of support we want for her. Out of the local "good" to "great" school systems, we narrowed it down to Kettering, Tipp City, Beavercreek, and Bellbrook as seeming most supportive of students who aren't academically or athletically perfect and need more support. In the end, I think Tipp will be a great choice because of the size and how supportive they've already been when answering questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 08:44 PM

247 posts, read 363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
FWIW, Troy has the best "downtown" of any of the older suburbs. The popular Strawberry festival helps this. I think I would throw Miamisburg third for its quirkiness and different small businesses and Centerville third for its charm, though it is a little small and right on top of busy roads (OH-48 and OH-725).

Further out small towns with cute charm that also might be worth exploring include Yellow Springs (hippie vibe and active granola crunchers) and Waynesville (antiquing and Sauerkraut festival).
Yeah, I remember the Strawberry Festival from when we were here before. We actually considered Troy because downtown is awesome, but the schools don't seem to be quite as good as Tipp. Living in Tipp, we'll be minutes away from downtown Troy while in a better school system. I consider it a win.

We'll definitely want to check out that Sauerkraut Festival! I didn't hear about it last time. For some reason, I love sauerkraut even though I hate every other type of cooked cabbage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton